Cave Story Machinima Thread

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:00 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Um, yeah it fucking does, even if only by the virtue of what this community as a whole is supposed to stand for. And I hope you're just being your usual self when you phrase it like that, because you actually make it sound as though you're dismissing Awesome's work and calling it not worthy of attention. I'm pretty sure that wasn't what you intended, but you need to phrase things more carefully.

I get that people have interests in different media -- for example, 90% of CS fans dislike fanfiction, but will adore high-quality art. That's not the part I'm commenting on. I get that's a matter of opinion/preference. I just don't think you're a true fan if you aren't behind everybody's blood, sweat and tears. What some people seem to miss is the sheer amount of attention, time and dedication put into large scale projects like this. After all, the main point of a fandom other than discussing the source material is the creation and appreciation of fan content. Otherwise, why are you even here?

Please no drama. He isn't entitled to like it. I don't take any offense to it at all. Everyone has their own views and opinions. By commenting he is still contributing to this. It takes a lot to offend me. Been doing this type of work for a while.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:04 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
After all, the main point of a fandom other than discussing the source material is the creation and appreciation of fan content. Otherwise, why are you even here?

They're probably just here to discuss the fan content that interests them specifically. Like some people are here purely for the mods section.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:06 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Please no drama. He isn't entitled to like it. I don't take any offense to it at all. Everyone has their own views and opinions. By commenting he is still contributing to this. It takes a lot to offend me. Been doing this type of work for a while.

But... I'm not asking him or anyone else to like it? I just don't think it's proper form/etiquette.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:24 PM
"Huzzah!"
As a fan I believe it's a bit much to expect every fan to get excited for every fan project, good or not. Everyone has their individual tastes, and some people will just not like certain things. Just because someone makes something does not entitle that person to everyone's attention.

Anyways as for my opinions on this project, for things like these I don't really like looking at WIPs so I'll just comment on it when it's done or you're done the first episode.

@ 43501: GIR gets it. I wasn't saying this was a bad project by any means. I said that it's very well done, but I just don't feel like watching it. Not because I'm not a fan of Cave Story. I love Cave Story. I'd just rather play the game, or have a new story told to me. For example, I would be totally stoked about this if it continued where Cave Story left off, or if it was a prequel. Tell me if I'm wrong, but it appears to be the same story, just told in a different way.

Anyway, if you don't believe I'm a fan of Cave Story, you'll see in time when I get my own project on here. :mrgreen:

@ PrettyAwesome: Thanks for understanding that I meant nothing bad by what I said. :)

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
@ 43501: GIR gets it. I wasn't saying this was a bad project by any means. I said that it's very well done, but I just don't feel like watching it. Not because I'm not a fan of Cave Story. I love Cave Story. I'd just rather play the game, or have a new story told to me. For example, I would be totally stoked about this if it continued where Cave Story left off, or if it was a prequel. Tell me if I'm wrong, but it appears to be the same story, just told in a different way.

Anyway, if you don't believe I'm a fan of Cave Story, you'll see in time when I get my own project on here. :mrgreen:

@ PrettyAwesome: Thanks for understanding that I meant nothing bad by what I said. :)

Based on what PA's given us, I'm pretty sure the italicized is indeed the intention.

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:09 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Its a-okay. Either way, our series will pierce the heavens! Roh Roh, fight the powa!

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Just started on the first cave portion. Tons of changes being made. It's slightly larger. But forgot about the spikes when remaking it. The holes in the top are going to have light coming in.

p158798-1-jxbzj.jpg

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Mother of god O_O where was this all my life?

<3

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:19 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Just found this thread. Script-writer here: Yes, we are retelling and, where we can, expanding on the story in the game. It will begin with Kazuma at his computer and end with Ballos. I'd love to find some way to work the Wind Fortress in there somewhere. In that regard, I'm also open to ideas! Originally, before PA showed me the amazingness of his After Effects skillz, we were going to do this as a fully voice-acted Let's Play, using footage of someone actually playing the game with Quote's thoughts and characters' dialogue voiced over, with a few After Effects thrown in for emphasis. Then he showed me that we could make it fully cinematic and I fell in love with the style. Given this new recording style, I'll be going back and altering/rewriting the script up to where I had it (just before Jenka's Dogs) before moving on.

As for a release schedule: You'll see little WiP teasers like these for a while, and maybe a mock-up of Episode 1, but I don't want to start releasing regular installments until we have at least a season's worth of material ready to go. We'll call that about ten episodes or so. thinking of breaking the season either just before Bushlands (Grasstown was the name of the Mimiga establishment before the Doctor started his kidnappings) or just before sand Zone. I really hope you're looking forward to what we have in store, because I think we have something special on our hands. And, just like PA, I'm down with constructive criticism. And if this isn't your thing, that's cool too. We're pretty chill guys.

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:54 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
I CAN BE MORE CHILL THAN YOU!

But I really like the good cinematics. I like the lighting and whatnot, just promise not to add too many things like that. It's a negative cycle. "And this, and this, ooh! We need that too! Can we do this in 3D?"

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:59 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
No, no 3D or anything like that. PA does film and camera work, so he knows a good composition when he sees or makes one. And the lighting effects are impressive. What you're seeing here is about what you can expect from our final product. The only major difference is that I'm going to push him to use the higher-res sprites from the very beginning. I know that'll annoy him, but he'll get over it, I'm sure.

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:37 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
What you're seeing here is about what you can expect from our final product. The only major difference is that I'm going to push him to use the higher-res sprites from the very beginning. I know that'll annoy him, but he'll get over it, I'm sure.
Good, glad that'll be fixed. Seeing a mixture of double resolution and single resolution was one of my heavy points of criticism, and as you could see, some others.
Although, the 1x res graphics might not necessarily be useless, as they could theoretically be used for some more zoomed out shots. Just an idea.

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:39 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I saw the clip yesterday and (pardon the pun) I say it was PrettyAwesome. :D