Cave Story Machinima Thread

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:52 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
p158798-0-gamn6.jpg

A CAVE STORY: EPISODE 1 (WORK IN PROGRESS)​
UPDATED DAILY!

INTRODUCTION:
Hello everyone! I figured it would be a cool idea to have a thread that I update as we work on our episodes to give you some sneak peeks into what we are doing. At this current posting, I rendered a few shots that I've done 100% in After Effects. the music is also recomposed by us as well. So a completely new soundtrack to go with the machinima!

STORY:
Our cinematic machinima series is going to retell the story of Cave Story with some of our own creative changes to fir the film format. It is going to be using voice acting instead of text boxes.

PROGRESS:
Episode 1: The first EIGHT shots are done. That equates to TWO scenes. Voice acting is 75% done!

I made some creative changes to the stages visually. Things such as removing powerups and various aesthetic changes. remember, we're telling the story in a different format so things are going to have to be changed.

What do you guys think?​

FIRST CAVE PROGRESS​

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:53 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Cool, it'll be nice to have updates.

Question: Is any of this going to have dialog? And if so, what method are you using?

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:22 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
What do you guys think?

Ladyboner. That's what.

I really do not know how a Cave Story fan can see a sample like that and only reply with "cool". Then again, this forum is full of emotionally sterile/socially awkward men, so don't be surprised if the others don't seem as excitable or enthusiastic as I. :p

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing this fully fleshed out. I think it's liable to become pretty popular.

Oct 21, 2012 at 4:50 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This is "PrettyAwesome"
I especially love the music, it remind me of... something that I still can't recall
1 question though, is the sprite used for Kazume 1x resolution? Cause it look weird compare to Quote sprites

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:51 AM
"Huzzah!"
Personally, I think the music is too good for the graphics and, while this is well done and all, this project doesn't exactly excite me, so I guess I'm just the weird one. I love the music though, and you've done an amazing job with the graphics, having made great use of scaling, unfocus (i.e. to achieve camera cinematic focus effect), and lighting effects. So, even though I'm not interested in it (the video aspect; I love the music), it's still very well done.

Oct 21, 2012 at 8:33 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
I like this. I am a bit confused why Kazuma is in old resolution and quote in new, but I'll pretend your a Dr. Who writer and assume you know what you're doing.

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Personally, I think the music is too good for the graphics and, while this is well done and all, this project doesn't exactly excite me, so I guess I'm just the weird one. I love the music though, and you've done an amazing job with the graphics, having made great use of scaling, unfocus (i.e. to achieve camera cinematic focus effect), and lighting effects. So, even though I'm not interested in it (the video aspect; I love the music), it's still very well done.

That's a really weird opinion. I guess you haven't played many games with the "pixel" aesthetic but non-chiptune music (Lone Survivor comes to mind immediately). I personally think this ancient notion that 8/16 bit aesthetic games need to be accompanied by chiptune music is... outdated.

EDIT: Rest of this post revised, you can scroll down to GIR's comment to see what it originally said. I should clarify that what I actually meant to say is that your post could have been made without expressing a level disinterest and negativity, that is all.

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:31 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Nice. love the effects and stuff. And BTW When's the next "Into The Rabbit Hole" Comes?

EDIT: maybe i should rate this...

Song: 10/10 The song is great. how long did you take to make that song?
Graphic: 9/10 Quote is using the new graphic and Kazuma Is using the old graphic.
Storyline:5/10 NO STORYLINE and it maybe use the normal story.

Overall:7/10

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Nice. love the effects and stuff. And BTW When's the next "Into The Rabbit Hole" Comes?

Graphic: 9/10 Quote is using the new graphic and Kazuma Is using the old graphic.

Don't worry about the story yet. We're still waiting on PrettyAwesome to tell us more about it, but I think this is just a preview of what it will look/sound/feel like. :)

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
And yes, you are the weird one, at least in my eyes. I'm not pointing fingers here, and I will make it clear I'm just expressing an opinion, but I believe that if you really really love something (game/book/movie/etc series), you should be excited when someone in the community puts their time and effort into creating something with polish that properly tributes the original content. That is, after all, why people who love their series write fanfiction, draw fan art, etc. Methinks that maybe this community isn't necessarily for you if you aren't that interested in fan content. :p

As a fan I believe it's a bit much to expect every fan to get excited for every fan project, good or not. Everyone has their individual tastes, and some people will just not like certain things. Just because someone makes something does not entitle that person to everyone's attention.

Anyways as for my opinions on this project, for things like these I don't really like looking at WIPs so I'll just comment on it when it's done or you're done the first episode.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Cool, it'll be nice to have updates.

Question: Is any of this going to have dialog? And if so, what method are you using?

Yes, it is going to have dialog, the writer is interpreting what he thinks that Quote would be saying in his head. So it will all be voiceacted. At this time I am not keen on the dialog boxes, just to save some screenspace considering we are going with a 2.3:5 ratio.

Ladyboner. That's what.

I really do not know how a Cave Story fan can see a sample like that and only reply with "cool". Then again, this forum is full of emotionally sterile/socially awkward men, so don't be surprised if the others don't seem as excitable or enthusiastic as I. :p

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing this fully fleshed out. I think it's liable to become pretty popular.

We here at Pretty Awesome Studios are all about the encouragement of ladyboners. We hope the series becomes popular. But as I see it the Cave Story community isn't very big. I don't know if it could get the numbers I am personally wanting.

This is "PrettyAwesome"
I especially love the music, it remind me of... something that I still can't recall
1 question though, is the sprite used for Kazume 1x resolution? Cause it look weird compare to Quote sprites

As for the sprite issue is is mostly because the world tilesets I only have some of the high quality sprites at the moment.

I do agree in that the "Access" orchestration does not seem to fit very well, but not because of the non chiptunednes of it. More f the positive mood I gave it. We'll see. I can understand your reasoning and its fine to not like it. It is a odd mixture to make something out of sprites cinematic. Though it is way too early tyo even consider number ratings. xD Its 3 shots with some music...

There is no Into the Rabbits Hold at this point. It died out. nobody would pay attention to us. Not a single person I emailed for some help. So its cancelled at the moment. And honestly if I never have to be a part of the Minecraft community, that is a-okay with me. I miss my Quake Live commentating because the audience was more mature and has hit puberty. (this only refects my viewpoint and not of the studio itself. I'm just a part of it.)

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I'm going to have to disagree about the music. I think it fits pretty well and makes the cutscenes have a different and more dramatic feel to it. I would stick with it, or perhaps reserve it for only certain cutscenes?

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Changing the Start Point's shape gives me mixed feelings...
[Most notably the right side of the cave... I always thought it looked like something (a tanuki?),
Reservoir also seems shaped after a creature ... Don't think there are any others though?]

The music is awesome of course.

It did seem to animate a little slow, but with dialogue I'm sure it'd be a moot point.

I love the cinematic look, having close-ups, zooming in, out... new special effects...
Using external programs like AFX could really make a slick video series.

I'm not entirely sure yet what style you'll present... Going for all-seriousness? Light-hearted and comic?
Episode 1... will it retell the adventure of Cave Story? Show little stories? New material?

In any case, effort should be rewarded... <3
I'm looking forward to seeing it come together! Nice work!
I'll be able to give a better, clearer response once the first episode is released :D

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:09 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
X-Calibar said:
Changing the Start Point's shape gives me mixed feelings...
[Most notably the right side of the cave... I always thought it looked like something (a tanuki?),
Reservoir also seems shaped after a creature ... Don't think there are any others though?]

The music is awesome of course.

It did seem to animate a little slow, but with dialogue I'm sure it'd be a moot point.

I love the cinematic look, having close-ups, zooming in, out... new special effects...
Using external programs like AFX could really make a slick video series.

I'm not entirely sure yet what style you'll present... Going for all-seriousness? Light-hearted and comic?
Episode 1... will it retell the adventure of Cave Story? Show little stories? New material?

In any case, effort should be rewarded... <3
I'm looking forward to seeing it come together! Nice work!
I'll be able to give a better, clearer response once the first episode is released :D

There is many reasons for changes. One is because we have to remove game items, and random empty areas where people remember items to be would just be weird. As a game it's designed to make you go in certain directions and areas. The way a film set would look would be slightly different because its more to guide your eye rather than the character you're controlling. Next, getting it tile for tile is a bit too tedious in my opinion so I'm making slight changes that I think look a bit better. but I DO NOT want to crap on the game designs. Staying as true as possible. There is also compressing the story, time and pacing, which is a part of that. It's why in the cave with the bats I'm going to have to condense it smaller and also not make the bats move like they do in game. In a film bats moving up and down does not make sense. I'm thinking for them to swarm him and he dodges them as he runs into the door that leads to the Polar Star.

The writer is a huge fan of Cave Story, so rest assured this wont have the "video game move syndrome". How Hollywood could butcher something that already has the story and everything there is beyond me...

The slowness just looks more professional too me. Only during certain scenes I like faster camera movement. when the dialogue compliments it, its falls together much better. We're going for a lighthearted story with serious parts when appropriate. We're retelling it with a little twist.

If anyone can get a hold of the remastered tiles from Cave Story+, please let me know! :)

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:11 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
if you just *buy* CS+ then they're all right there in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\cave story+\data\base

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:17 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
if you just *buy* CS+ then they're all right there in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\cave story+\data\base

That is where I got all of my sprites from. The issue is the file formats in the "Stage" folder.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:31 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
diph.php

uhhhhh

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:22 AM
As a fan I believe it's a bit much to expect every fan to get excited for every fan project, good or not. Everyone has their individual tastes, and some people will just not like certain things. Just because someone makes something does not entitle that person to everyone's attention.

Um, yeah it fucking does, even if only by the virtue of what this community as a whole is supposed to stand for. And I hope you're just being your usual self when you phrase it like that, because you actually make it sound as though you're dismissing Awesome's work and calling it not worthy of attention. I'm pretty sure that wasn't what you intended, but you need to phrase things more carefully.

I get that people have interests in different media -- for example, 90% of CS fans dislike fanfiction, but will adore high-quality art. That's not the part I'm commenting on. I get that's a matter of opinion/preference. I just don't think you're a true fan if you aren't behind everybody's blood, sweat and tears. What some people seem to miss is the sheer amount of attention, time and dedication put into large scale projects like this. After all, the main point of a fandom other than discussing the source material is the creation and appreciation of fan content. Otherwise, why are you even here?

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:54 AM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
my favourite part about this is how you didn't include any voice acting or impose any text on this first bit. your target audience for this thing probably has the dialoug for the start nearly memorised, or at least gets the general idea, so you kinda fill in the blanks yourself. just having the music and the visuals, with very little action going on sets the stage for this very well. kinda like a curtain opening before a play.

also the visuals and sound are great.