Cave Story Machinima Idea

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hello everyone. Been contemplating the idea of doing a machinima with Cave Story. I love that this game has all of the sprite assets and such readily available. I went into After Effects and created a generic scene of some sort to test things out. It turned out pretty decent. Was wondering if there is any demand in the community for something like this? Also, any criticisms are welcome. Though, this is just a very first concept.

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
It matters what kind of "machinima" it is.If it's a group project have fun making a multiplayer mod.

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm pretty sure just looking at his sample should make it abundantly obvious that a "multiplayer mod" does not factor into it in any way whatsoever

Anyway, it looks alright, although I had the audio off for reasons so I can't judge that. I'd say go for it if that's what you're interested in.

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:50 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It matters what kind of "machinima" it is.If it's a group project have fun making a multiplayer mod.

I stated in the video, its description, and in he post that it is all done in after effects. :D

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
It would be neat to have a movie, story or weekly comic in this machinima style made...

Or could make a crazy fight scene using Cave Story characters like some people love to do, and it might attract attention for the game D:
Lookin' good :D

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:07 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Whoa, that's a lot of work for 28 seconds worth of content.

Anyway, it's a really good test. The vid is really visually/aesthetically pleasing (guess you nailed the filters after all) and it's a cute concept, I wouldn't have thought of working with CS the way you did.

All in all, I'm really eager/excited to see what a full length feature will look like.

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:15 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Wow, high quality and proper use of music. Nice job. If you want advice on how to improve your quality, resize the tiles you use with something other than photoshop as photoshop tends to make pixel art look blurry. I recomend doubling or quadrupling the tiles in Microsoft paint or something before so you have larger images to work with. Other than that the timing is good, each shot is interesting, maybe you could gray out the background a bit more so it's farhter back in space, but other than that this is pretty fine. I hope you do more.

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:53 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Working with the original freeware version (or if you ask really nicely, a 2x res hack) would open up the possibility of using some of the original in-game animations to save on editing time

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:12 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Plus I think using the in-game animations is the whole point of machinima.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:23 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
wha? when did i subscribed you prettyawesomestudios? i cant remember.... (I have a bad memory)

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:59 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
this is pretty impressive