Cave Story+ was free (not free from 10th December)

Dec 7, 2020 at 10:17 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I said from the beginning that the Steam version doesn't have cloud save, and then I confirmed it with my screenshot. Also if I was right in the first place there was no point of telling me.

So again, pay attention.
I Was Typing The Post Before @Serri Responded, But I Was Idle. So Technically I Don't Have To Pay Attention

Dec 7, 2020 at 11:22 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I did genuinely think Steam Cloud could backup Cave Story when i said that. What Al-Ameen posted helped.

EDIT: IN THE YEAR 2525, IF MAN IS STILL ALIVE, IF WOMAN CAN SURVIVE, THEY MAY FIIIIIIIIIIIND

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:36 AM
Based Member
(Also, I challenge anyone to get Cave Story+ running on lower specs than minimum)
View attachment 7513
Challenge accepted. I'm going to be visiting my parents soon for Christmas, and they have a Windows 98 Computer with a Pentium III processor that still works, so I can try it on that. I'll report back when I get the chance.
Okay, so here's the follow-up that I promised. I visited with my parents for Christmas and New Years, and while I was at their house, I fired up the old Windows 98 computer. I said in my previous post that it had a Pentium III processor, but I was mistaken, it was actually a Pentium II. And 96 MB of memory. Here's what came up when I tried to run the Epic Games version of Cave Story+:
CS+Epic Attempt.png

And here's what happened when I tried to run the HIB version of Cave Story+:
CS+HIB Attempt.png

Yes, two error windows popped up in rapid succession, one on top of the other, and you have to click through both of them to get the error messages out of the way. Older versions of Windows really liked to pelt you with errors like that.

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:00 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Contributing to spammy posting (off-topic, lack of content, etc)
oh.

Jan 25, 2021 at 3:39 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
He did it. Hayden, you son of a bitch, you did it. You managed to find a computer that can't run Cave Story+. Who needs god when we have CSTSF users?

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:12 PM
War criminal
You managed to find a computer that can't run Cave Story+.
I mean to be fair, w98 was never taken into account when the port was being developed back in 2011. Hell, schools stopped using it back in 2006.

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:38 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Hell, schools stopped using it back in 2006.
Schools. Used Win98. In 2006. God, glad I wasn't in school to use an OS that could barely run Cave Story. Come to think of it, Win98 at that time is about as old as Win10 is now, so I guess something like that is happening now, but with Win10 and Win10 only.

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:38 AM
Based Member
God, glad I wasn't in school to use an OS that could barely run Cave Story.
To be fair, the original freeware Cave Story runs just fine at a steady 50 FPS on this computer. The framerate was pretty bad when running 2x res mods, though.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:12 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Steam: $15 for a enhanced version of a free game
Nintendo: $30 for a more enhanced version of a free game
Cave Story.org: Original game for free
Epic Games: Free Enhanced version that is the steam version.
You: I'll take one free enhanced Cave Story Please
Epic Games: HaHa that would be $12
You: Awwww I missed the sale

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 11:42 PM
War criminal
Epic Games: HaHa that would be $12
You: Awwww I missed the sale
$12? That's a goddamn steal! Unless you want to save an extra two bucks and get the eShop port instead.

Feb 27, 2021 at 12:20 AM
$12? That's a goddamn steal! Unless you want to save an extra two bucks and get the eShop port instead.
I picked up Cave Story+ on switch while it was on sale for $20