Cave Story Hex- Logo and Menu Buttons in seperate files

Dec 9, 2018 at 10:57 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I'm making a mod called "Better Cave Story" (work in progress title). And I want to edit the Title Screen, using the logo found in the 3ds Eshop verison. No matter how many times I try, it ALWAYS ends in failure! So now, I want to take the logo and menu buttons (NEW and LOAD) and put them in seperate files. The logo would be in title.bmp and the file would be 208 by 49. The menu buttons would be in newload.bmp and the file would be 26 by 24. What is the hex patch for this? I'm using Boosters Lab.

And how do you mod DoConfig so that it looks for a font.ttf for the font? With the letters touching each other like in Cave Story+ on Steam?
(Edit:And, using hex, how do you change the background for the title screen without changing King.tsc?)

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 11:03 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Hooooooly crap, I suggest using one of the title screen hack from booster lab that make the title screen file an whole picture, the resolution of the pics should be 640x480 I think...
You should redraw the logo/buttons to an lower resolution, as far as I know nicalis stuff is a bad idea to use.
Because you could get sued or just shit.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 11:55 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Ok thanks! That answers request 1/3 (see edit)

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:01 AM
In hacking tool, there’s somes title stuff.
One of them is(probably) called title hack, if you commit it, you’ll have the changes I said earlier.
For the font, find a font that pretty much do that.

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:13 AM
In hacking tool, there’s somes title stuff.
One of them is(probably) called title hack, if you commit it, you’ll have the changes I said earlier.
For the font, find a font that pretty much do that.
Oh, you mean "titlescreen"? Yea,I'm going to do the image 640x40. I have attached it to this post. I've just gotten into modding.So, I dont know the numbers to make it appear as I want it to. And, I need DoConfig to see the .ttf file and intergrate it.Title.pngPlease note that I got the .bpm file at the same size as the .png file I uploaded.

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:17 AM
I do. But the font dropdown is hardset on New Cordior. And I dont want DoConfig reseting it every single time someone changes their settings, so hex editing is OUT OF THE QUESTION! So, what do I do. How do I mod DoConfig?

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:22 AM
I do. But the font dropdown is hardset on New Cordior. And I dont want DoConfig reseting it every single time someone changes their settings, so hex editing is OUT OF THE QUESTION! So, what do I do. How do I mod DoConfig?
Take hex editor(Like hxd), find courrier new, replace it with your font(if a pop up appear, for the love of god say no) aaaaaand done.

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:27 AM
I want it so that my font is selectable from the font dropdown in DoConfig. The way your stating means that either A) the exe file becomes unreadable, or B) everytime someone went to change settings in DoConfig, the font would reset to Courrier New.

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:39 AM
Thanks! I'll be sure to add you to the credits of my mod!

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:45 AM
Oh yea, one more thing, the tool you sent me to works! But how do I change the width of the text and space between the letters?

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:52 AM
Oh yea, one more thing, the tool you sent me to works! But how do I change the width of the text and space between the letters?
I never used this so I can’t be sure, I think that you should take the Space between courrier and new And put it between the little Space of the font
Example: Saus[the Space of courrier and new] bios.

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:55 AM
Ok, thanks. Also, what do you think would be a good name for the mod?

Dec 10, 2018 at 1:12 AM
I'll think about it.

Dec 10, 2018 at 10:19 AM
Alright.
(don't read this if you're not interested in assembly)
Code:
00422180 the call that renders the text in the main textboxes
0042214B the number of lines of text the game will render + 1
Okay I've been looking in the wrong place. This code obviously just prints out a whole line at a time of the pre-made bitmaps.
004254D8 removing this crashes the game during text rendering!
Okay so, just apply this patch through BL's hex patcher:
Code:
0x4254AB
xx
Making sure that you replace the "xx" with a 2 digit number in hexadecimal.
If you don't know what hexadecimal is or how it works, that's fine: enter the number you want into this converter and copy out the "Hexadecimal Value."
Don't enter a number bigger than 127, or your result will be negative, giving you right to left text... that starts at the very left of the textbox. (ohno)
And don't enter anything larger than 255 or the number won't fit!

But hey, if anyone wants to make a right-to-left language translation, let me know!
Hi zxin, may you please answer my first question from the start of this tread? Mr Destroyer was unable to give me a good answer to that one.

Oh, and my game crashes when I do this... Any way to fix that?

Last edited by a moderator: