Cave Story: Hard Mode

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:14 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
just for curiosity.
Who of you, finished hard mode?
It took a lot of effort to finish this mode :sue: :S

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I have, but not the version is CS+ I just set my self the challenge of a 3HP run in CS.

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:25 PM
The hardest part is Bushtown, all the enemies can kill you.

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
At least theres some mercy at the end, seeing how the dog that gives you a health up in plantation still gives you the health up. Forgot how much health it was though.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:22 PM
The hardest part is Bushtown, all the enemies can kill you.
Yeah Grasstown/Bushlands is annoying. Although the worst parts for me were the Labyrinth after the Rock Chamber and the Core can be pretty annoying until you learn the strategy for him (which at the time I did not know).

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well, playing in original Cave Story with 3hp is not hard mode, bosses in hard mode have more life and almost all the enemies can kill you.

I got stuck on the battle with Curly :p

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Well, playing in original Cave Story with 3hp is not hard mode, bosses in hard mode have more life and almost all the enemies can kill you.
Really? I didn't know that. I thought hard mode in CS+ was the same as doing a 3HP run, looks like I might actually try hard mode then.

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Honestly, I did beat Hard Mode, but god it was awful for me. (Core and Monster X...) I don't think there's damage differences between the 2 games, but I could be mistaken. Otherwise, a 3hp run of Original Cs is close enough to a Hard Mode run. (In Hard Mode however, you can't get the Missile Launcher at all. All the chests of it are gone from the game.)

CookedChef said:
At least theres some mercy at the end, seeing how the dog that gives you a health up in plantation still gives you the health up. Forgot how much health it was though.
I didn't know this when I did my run, so I actually got through the last cave (hidden) and balcony trio with 3 hp. I ended up fooling around with my hard mode save file and found out that the dog does give you a health capsule. (I had a life pot from giving Jenka the 5th dog because you can't abuse Nene to prevent King and Toroko's death...)

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well if you want a hard mode go play the hard mode in +.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well if you want a hard mode go play Cave Story with 3 HP while only using the level 2 Bubbler and not picking up the Arms Barrier, aiming for the best ending

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:00 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
MagicDoors said:
Well if you want a hard mode go play Cave Story with 3 HP while only using the level 2 Bubbler and not picking up the Arms Barrier, aiming for the best ending
That's impossible. You need Lv.3 or another weapon to shoot shootable blocks, else you can never make it through the Sand Zone.

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:15 AM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Well assuming you don't do any modded files, you still have the polar star available to shoot blocks.

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:24 AM
Professional Whatever
Yeah I meant fighting and stuff, of course you need weapons to destroy blocks

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:59 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
MagicDoors said:
Yeah I meant fighting and stuff, of course you need weapons to destroy blocks
Sorry but what you're suggesting seems like a cop out to me. Using Weapon Y in a Weapon X only run will always feel wrong to me because I can say all I want that I beat the game with only Weapon X, but it would be a lie. For example you wouldn't fly around with the machine gun in a run that prohibits its use, and the only reason why you don't is because you don't need to fly with the machine gun to finish the game.

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:29 AM
"Huzzah!"
I've beat CS+ on hard mode, but I never did make a run through the original with only 3 hp. Doing it in CS+ was good enough for me. Also, I grabbed all the weapons I wanted and used them as I wanted. I guess I'm not so hardcore. I found it to be quite difficult. Hell was hell. At least the falling blocks part is close to the beginning of hell, cuz that was MURDER, literally, lots and lots of times.. countless times... oh teh humanity! :sun: Grr! :muscledoc: Aiyeee! ... d'oh! :greydroll:.....

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Professional Whatever
andwhyisit said:
Sorry but what you're suggesting seems like a cop out to me. Using Weapon Y in a Weapon X only run will always feel wrong to me because I can say all I want that I beat the game with only Weapon X, but it would be a lie. For example you wouldn't fly around with the machine gun in a run that prohibits its use, and the only reason why you don't is because you don't need to fly with the machine gun to finish the game.
Er

I'm not saying this is for bragging rights, it's still a challenge to the player if you only use another weapon for opening mandatory areas
If you want to brag then go use a level 1 polar star instead or something

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
It's not about bragging rights. I guess I didn't word that right.

Think of it as something like bumpers at ten pin bowling. You are allowed to do it but it doesn't feel right. It could be the most amazing game of tenpin bowling you ever played, and you might only touch the sides only once or twice, but it doesn't change the fact that you used the bumpers.

Regardless, I have derailed this thread long enough. My apologies for subjecting you to my weird notions.

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Professional Whatever
No, I understand you now. I guess it wouldn't feel the same.
Also I was in a pissy mood because school

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:49 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I tried a hard mode run in CS+...
Then promptly died as soon as I got to
OH GOD I COULDN'T EVEN GET PAST THE EGG CORRIDOR WHY
And again.
And again.
And again...

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
PixelVortex said:
I have, but not the version is CS+ I just set my self the challenge of a 3HP run in CS.
As have i back in 2008, monster x was probably the worst to deal with. Once i eventually beat hell on 3 hp i didn't touch cavestory for like 2 years haha it took everything away from me.
Although recently i've started to do the cs+ hardmode bit by bit, still frustrating as ever ... currently at monster x *head desk*