Cave Story + graphical issue (ripple effect)

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Hi,

When playing Cave Story +, a ripple effect occurs (usually while moving/jumping) as if I'm playing on a really old SDTV, it's like a horizontal blur. It doesn't slow down gameplay or anything, but it is annoying.
I tried getting a screen-shot but it's not showing up.

I'd offer more information but that's really the only way I can explain it. Any ideas?

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:38 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Try updating your graphics card drivers.

Does this occur in freeware CS? You might want to report this to Nicalis so that they can fix the issue.

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:13 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Heya!

It sounds like horizontal screen tearing probably... Depending on what resolution you are running in, it could happen. I know I've had trouble with the original Cave Story since it runs at 50 fps.

I don't have a sure-fire method to fix it if you have it. See if your video card options have a "v-sync" option, and turn it always on, at least while playing CS+.

Oh try this, open up Cave Story+'s folder, and find the application. CaveStory+.exe
Right click it -> Properties -> Compatability -> Run in 640x480
Hopefully that does the trick. Good for when you are running it full-screen.

If that doesn't work, if you know more about computers, you can try changing the resolution and try to play around with the Hz, or refresh rate. If you can choose a 640x480 60Hz resolution it should run golden. Assuming that's the problem.