Cave story good ending requirement thoughts

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:21 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I played cave story in 2005 for the first time, and I remember beating it after about a week without too many problems.

Seven years later I'm browsing some forums and find out there is a better ending?!?!!? I spent about a week practicing to beat hell on hard mode, finally did it.

But what I am wondering.... why did Pixel have to make access to hell so unpredictable... I mean, I'm not sure how anyone playing cave story blind could know about not talking to booster in the labyrinth to get booster 2.0 later on. (Why would he cloud the content like that)

I'm sure there are other people like me who have played cave story at one point not even knowing about hell, what a shame considering how much fun the extra area is.

Did anyone else have a similar experience with cave story their first time, and not know about hell? And did anyone actually find hell without help their first time playing?

Just curious! :)

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Yea, I was wondering too. When I have first played Cave Story and Booster fell down I instinctively jumped down to see if he was okay and to help him. So basically a good deed caused me not to get the best ending.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:24 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
If there was one change I could make to official cave story, it would be booster surviving if you get the 0.8, and giving the 2.0 later on. And making the jump to the boulder room unreachable without the 0.8. I wish it wasn't like that!

T.T

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Do people not pay attention to the game or something? Prefab Building, what does it say in the notebook? He'd like to finish the 2.0, if only he survives. That made it clear you had to save him. Then I figured out you could do the jump in the boulder room without the booster, so I did that and hoped I was right. First thing I really notice in the Core room is the tow rope. I take it, fight the boss, all that. From then on it's easy to get it.

I didn't find hell without help my first time playing, nobody does, but I did find it without help.

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Didn't get it my first time, but going through again with knowledge of it, you can see the things that would direct you to the best ending.

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:22 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
It isn't really that hard to find hell, it just requires a lot of searching. I figured that, if there are two endings, (bad ending and eeeeh ending) than there is bound to be more secrets. you just need to try everything, even abandoning an old profeser.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:38 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
trickybilly said:
Yea, I was wondering too. When I have first played Cave Story and Booster fell down I instinctively jumped down to see if he was okay and to help him. So basically a good deed caused me not to get the best ending.
Yeah... Same thing I did. I ended up not being able to get the tow rope and save Curly, so I ended up going through until I saw the bad ending. Then after seeing it, I was positive there was something more. I ended up looking at a guide for like, 2 minutes. (To see if you were suppose to climb up the Outer Wall. I had the instinct too, but I wanted to talk to Kazuma, and that causes the bad ending) Then I saw something about getting the Nikumaru Counter and saving Curly and Booster and I was confused as to how. I didn't read how to save them, so I played up to Itoh (not much farther) and then looked at the walkthrough completely and learned how to get the best ending. God... if I hadn't looked at a guide, I never would have gotten the best ending or possibly the normal ending. (The fetch quest and knowing to go down to the bottom to talk to Kenpachi, all the fun stuff) Although I looked at the walkthrough, Hell just decimated me until I gave up for some time. I looked at some of the speed tricks and how to get through each room but it still owned me hard.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:43 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Daisuke is a a clever, clever man

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:07 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Just wish he had put small clues throughout the game relating to how to get the ending. Not like the notebook in the prefab house, I'm talking about before the moment comes where you choose to talk to booster or not.

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Restarting to save Curly is a mandatory part of the Cave Story experience

Welcome to the club :orangebell:

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:06 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
DoubleThink said:
Restarting to save Curly is a mandatory part of the Cave Story experience

Welcome to the club :orangebell:
Most accurate post in this thread.

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Don't get me wrong, restarting to save curly/ignore booster is no problem. The problem is that even after reading the hints on getting the booster 2.0, you may still not ever realize there actually is a hell. Which is why it's too bad that some people will never know about the extra content. And I assure you, some people who have beaten the game will never know about it.

Oh well :(