Cave Story GM

Oct 4, 2019 at 12:04 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
EDIT 1: Added source project link

Cave Story GM is a take on Cave Story done in Game Maker Studio. The game reads from data in the English freeware version of Cave Story found on the tribute site and adds some elements to the gameplay.

The game isn't finished. From a new game it's only playable up to the end of the second main area. I'm sure there's a lot of issues I missed up to that point so keep that in mind if something looks off.

This is something I started in spring break when I was burnt out on other things. I worked on it without the intention of putting a lot of effort into it. I meant to stop working on it earlier and didn't since developing it was fun. Now that I'm ready to work on other stuff again, I'm releasing this as it is so that a few months of work doesn't collect dust in my hard drive forever.

It's a personal project so I threw in a bunch of stuff I felt would be cool if Cave Story was remade, but it can also be used as an idea base if anyone wants to. It'd be cool to see other interpretations of the beta weapons or the more mundane things like the HUD radar.

Download Link: Cave Story GM v0.0.1

Source Project: Some folder with a lot of similar stuff

Screenshots:

Eggs.png

menu0.png

menu1.png

startRoom.png

shack.png

eggX.png

testRoom.png

Feel free to use anything from this folder: Resources

Email me at zacaldno.1@gmail.com if you have questions.

Thank you for your time.
- Dreamer

Yes, I confused Sue's Workshop with Booster's Lab in the readme. That's an oopsie on my part.

Attachments

• menu0.png
    menu0.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 7:07 AM
"Huzzah!"
the game itself isn't working for me lmao, but yeah, your portrait redesigns look awesome!

Oct 4, 2019 at 2:38 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
the game itself isn't working for me lmao, but yeah, your portrait redesigns look awesome!
(Eli uses Mac OS in case you're wondering)

Oct 4, 2019 at 4:14 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I hope you see this through, @Dreamer. The graphics are really great, and it'd be a shame if you didn't make your own game at some point in the future. So yeah, I'll be sure to look out for this one.

Oct 4, 2019 at 4:37 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
That Sue facepic is amazing.

Oct 4, 2019 at 5:10 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
That Sue facepic is amazing.
I second this.

Also this looks very impressive, all the custom art you've added looks on point, good job.

Oct 4, 2019 at 5:44 PM
"Huzzah!"
This Is a nice remake of Cave Story.
The only thing wrong with it is the white bat's everywhere!

Oct 4, 2019 at 6:08 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Regarding the title screens, are there multiple colours you can choose from or just the two you've presented?

Oct 4, 2019 at 10:18 PM
Isnt Cave Story already made in GameMaker?

Oct 4, 2019 at 10:58 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Oct 5, 2019 at 12:23 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Pixel coded the engine and the tools to make the game himself in 86asm (I believe).
He coded the game in C, but had it compiled in C++.

Oct 5, 2019 at 5:30 AM
"Huzzah!"
Oh. Man. From now on, only YOU are allowed to re-release Cave Story...
...Because of how amazing all of this work is! This project feels like such a natural progression of the base game, ALMOST as if it were a sequel. It's so good! SO GOOD!

Oct 5, 2019 at 9:46 AM
Oh. Man. From now on, only YOU are allowed to re-release Cave Story...
...Because of how amazing all of this work is! This project feels like such a natural progression of the base game, ALMOST as if it were a sequel. It's so good! SO GOOD!

Perhaps when Dreamer finishes this mod, perhaps they'll make their own mod in this style?

Oct 5, 2019 at 6:17 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
How does ID 62 matching the number of source files indicate that the source files are C++?

The focus is ID 60, which is specifically the number of object files linked into the EXE that were generated by a C++ compiler. In Cave Story, it's 2, but in CSE2, it's 71.

Edit: Also, that source you linked only mentions VC++6/VC++.NET, which is an IDE, not a language. Despite its name, VC++ supports both C++ and C.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 6:51 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
A lot of the changes I've seen are fabulous, Dreamer. I didn't expect much, but am truly appreciative of all these extras!
Like holding down while walking right, allows you to strafe backwards and fire left! I thought something was wrong at first, but that's awesome.
Then you have the new active map viewer... Slick. And how if you get too close to the HUD in the corner, transparency comes into effect.
Or how about when you shoot a bat dead, and the body falls! D: Or even the text box edges... Or map name transitions... etc etc.

Not to mention all the remade graphics with new animation... Love your take.

Of course, there's a lot that needs to be addressed still. Like enemy patterns.
Example: Balrog boss... Tinyyyy jump. x)

EDIT: Btw... From the readme.txt:
I used CaveEditor a lot for reference when coding this thing. Not as a code-base, but to see maps and the such.
There's a better editor called Sue's Workshop but I've used CaveEditor too long to want to switch.
Booster's Lab!

Last edited: