Cave Story for Sega Mega Drive/Genesis

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:52 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The genesis has more power, while the SNES has better visuals. Quite frankly the SNES would have to make severe compromises just to make the game work because it can't support the number of sprites on screen that CS requires. The genesis is the better fit because it compromises less.

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:23 AM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
The genesis has more power, while the SNES has better visuals. Quite frankly the SNES would have to make severe compromises just to make the game work because it can't support the number of sprites on screen that CS requires. The genesis is the better fit because it compromises less.

Do you think that if it were to take advantage of the Super FX 2, a SNES port of Cave Story could work better?

Also, once this port is completed (or at least fully playable from start to finish) I might make a fake commercial for this, in the style of older SEGA ads, that outright boasts about how much action is on screen.

Sep 27, 2016 at 8:16 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
This looks awesome, when can we play it?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2016 at 11:53 AM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
This looks awesome, when can we play it?

Now, you can find a link to compiled releases on the GitHub page. Currently, the game goes up to the ironhead fight.

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:43 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I'm not sure, but I think the engine Cave Story uses was built off of a SNES. (Or at least a Super Famicom)

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:52 AM
War criminal
I'm not sure, but I think the engine Cave Story uses was built off of a SNES. (Or at least a Super Famicom)
Do you have the source for this? I'm pretty sure it was built from scratch on PC, though.

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:57 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Do you have the source for this? I'm pretty sure it was built from scratch on PC, though.
I thought I read about it somewhere a while ago...

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:01 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
No, the engine was built from scratch.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:52 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I thought I read about it somewhere a while ago...
Someone was more than likely comparing it to SNES games, or that it was inspired by the SNES, rather than saying that it was built from the SNES or whatever. Especially given that Cave Story ignores SNES limitations.

Oct 19, 2016 at 2:51 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Just curious, in what ways does it ignore SNES limitations?
It throws more objects at the screen than the SNES can handle, and it updates everything on the map (both on and off the screen) every single frame.

The Megadrive is built to handle a much larger number of objects onscreen than the SNES, and the port still needs creative concessions in order to not exceed that.

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:11 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I might make a fake commercial for this, in the style of older SEGA ads
Almost like that one Sonic Mania commercial that parodies the Sonic 2 commercial.

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:05 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Do you think that if it were to take advantage of the Super FX 2, a SNES port of Cave Story could work better?
The SA-1 chip (basically an enhanced SNES CPU as an expansion chip) might lift some of the processing weight off the SNES, but even then, that's a definite maybe.

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:00 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Is it not possible to load in the objects in the actual screen and not outside? Maybe then it's possible on the SNES.

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:11 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Is it not possible to load in the objects in the actual screen and not outside? Maybe then it's possible on the SNES.
That might work but wouldn't that turn the game into Ninja Gaiden Story?

Nov 22, 2016 at 2:10 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
That's a minor detail and quite possible to program around.

This is the major hurdle:
It throws more objects at the screen than the SNES can handle
I am talking about onscreen objects there, not offscreen.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2016 at 2:20 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
That's a minor detail and quite possible to program around.

This is the major hurdle:

I am talking about onscreen objects there, not offscreen.
Objects? Do you mean the parts of the "map", or the enemies? If it's the enemies, then just look at Super Mario World, I'm pretty sure Cave Story doesn't have more enemies than SMW. I don't know how the SNES works, so what is exactly an object there?

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:09 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Actually, scratch that, I'm wrong and have been wrong all this time. It turns out that the snes can actually support more objects onscreen, it just is a much slower system (in terms of processing speed).

So I suppose it is possible to make it work using the SFX chip to make up for the slow processing speed of the snes.

Objects? Do you mean the parts of the "map", or the enemies? If it's the enemies, then just look at Super Mario World, I'm pretty sure Cave Story doesn't have more enemies than SMW. I don't know how the SNES works, so what is exactly an object there?
Sprites effectively. So that's enemies, npcs, exp crystals, pickups, bullets, projectiles, certain effects (like the head bump, question mark, zzz, and particles), and the player.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2016 at 1:50 PM
Actually, scratch that, I'm wrong and have been wrong all this time. It turns out that the snes can actually support more objects onscreen, it just is a much slower system (in terms of processing speed).

So I suppose it is possible to make it work using the SFX chip to make up for the slow processing speed of the snes.

Sprites effectively. So that's enemies, npcs, exp crystals, pickups, bullets, projectiles, certain effects (like the head bump, question mark, zzz, and particles), and the player.
Aha, I see. But as you said, it can handle more sprites, so it is possible.
Someone get working on this o.O