Cave Story for Sega Mega Drive/Genesis

Nov 23, 2016 at 6:44 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Is there even somebody here who knows how to make SNES games? I doubt there are at the moment. It'll probably be longer before somebody with that knowledge accepts the challenge in making it a reality.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:47 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Aha, I see. But as you said, it can handle more sprites, so it is possible.
Someone get working on this o.O
1. None of us have any experience with the SNES.
2. Remaking Cave Story for Mega Drive has been over a year and a half in the making, and the programmer had actual experience with the Mega Drive before starting.
3. Sure, the SNES has less restrictions on objects, but concessions would still need to be made (especially with limits on the number of sprites per scanline) and time would be wasted trying to interface with the SFX. Expect it to take just as long.
4. The fact that we even have an MD version is a miracle in itself.

If you want a SNES version then make it yourself:
https://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php?topic=6000.0

See you in two years...

Nov 24, 2016 at 6:22 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
If you're keeping on talking about Cave Story for SNES, I'm afraid I am going to have to expose this. Take a look at these YouTube videos below.

SpriterSonikku had been doing this using Super Mario World as a base:

The PC no longer has the SMW physics. And the enemies are also made by SpriterSonikku which function almost faithfully to Cave Story.

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:45 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
If you're keeping on talking about Cave Story for SNES, I'm afraid I am going to have to expose this. Take a look at these YouTube videos below.

SpriterSonikku had been doing this using Super Mario World as a base:

The PC no longer has the SMW physics. And the enemies are also made by SpriterSonikku which function almost faithfully to Cave Story.

Tbh, it looks more like it's own game then a straight forward port of Cave Story to SMW's engine. That being said, it still looks really neat, its amazing how much SMW hacking has progressed in recent years.