Cave Story for Mac OS 11.0.1?

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:43 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
My girlfriend recently updated her Macbook to version 11.0.1, and the English translations ports won't even open. Before she updated it, the 0.1.0 English patch didn't work either. Any solutions to this? Has anyone ran into the same problem? I don't think she would want to use Wine, so any help without third-party clients is appreciated, for her to enjoy such a beautiful game on her Mac Laptop.

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:13 PM
"Huzzah!"
all updates after mojave (10.14) drop 32-bit support for applications (ie. cave story), so they're not going to run anymore, i'm sorry. i believe there may be a port that will work, but i don't remember which one, you'll have to poke around the downloads page.

i may sound like a hypocrite here as i hate people suggesting this to me (i also use mac but i'm still running mojave), but is it worth looking into bootcamping her laptop if it has enough storage?

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:39 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
all updates after mojave (10.14) drop 32-bit support for applications (ie. cave story), so they're not going to run anymore, i'm sorry. i believe there may be a port that will work, but i don't remember which one, you'll have to poke around the downloads page.

i may sound like a hypocrite here as i hate people suggesting this to me (i also use mac but i'm still running mojave), but is it worth looking into bootcamping her laptop if it has enough storage?

Thank you for the information! It seems I just hadn't read much into it :) The NXEngine should work right? I can't really find the Mac Port for it, and the link on the tribute site brings me to a confusing Github page, so if you know anything about it, I'd love some help with that ^^'.

When it comes to bootcamping, I really don't think she'd be comfortable with adding so many things to her computer just to run cave story, she'd rather come here and beat it on my computer whenever she comes, but if there isn't any hope anywhere else, I'll just have to go with Wine honestly.

Thank you very much for your help! I'll try to find the Mac version of NXEngine in english, if there is any...

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:53 PM
"Huzzah!"
i don't know enough about nxengine to help, sorry, you'd have to ask someone more knowledgeable about it. i swear there was a version of original freeware that was compatible post-32 bit support being dropped, but that might've been for an older version...

wine won't work either unfortunately, so tbh your best bet if you can't get nxengine working is to just have her play it on your computer, or look into the official (and unofficial) ports to various consoles :V