Cave Story Extended V1.0.3

Jul 6, 2013 at 12:35 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Hello Cave Story forum, I brought you a mod.
What this mod does is extend the areas within Cave Story (eg, Egg Corridor and Grasstown) and add a few dungeons hidden around
the whole game. This mod also brings a forth ending to the game, which may lead to a whole new mod. Though as of right now, I rather work on this.

Screenshots:
p170529-0-2le6lg1.png

p170529-1-11izfw5.png

Download link:
[V 1.0.3] http://www.mediafire.com/download/mqt62in5a25ivb3/CaveStory_Extended_V1.0.3.rar Most bugs should be gone, if you find any tell me right away.
[V 1.0.2] http://www.mediafire.com/download/d53ngad73w05js1/CaveStory_Extended_V1.0.2.rar .
[V 1.0.1] http://www.mediafire.com/download/bckfresiwenceok/CaveStory_Extended_V1.0.1.rar
[V 1.0] http://www.mediafire.com/download/dx2biv0mbhlu0fs/CaveStory_Extended_V1.0.rar

ToDo list COMPLETED

If you can, please leave feedback.

Note: If there is any bugs with the new dungeons, tell me right away, as of right now, the game is being playtested from
start to finish, the new areas were play tested and beaten so they are beatable. Again, any bugs, report them here as fast as possible.

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I tried it, first a disclaimer :
You can't finish Egg Corridor in its current state.
After defeating Igor, and entering the door that used to go to Egg00 you are put into the new extended egg corridor~

The corridor is pretty nice looking... I noticed soon after I walked in I saw the big flying creature that shoots, in a section of the map that it is unreachable, and it is trapped there.

Also, the Ctuhulhu guys don't do anything except reset the map maybe? Teleports me nowhere?
And if you walk too far at the end, you fall off the edge of the screen.....
AND the exit doesn't go anywhere, nor does the entrance let you return..................................

You probably should make your mod playable before releasing a demo D: or make a disclaimer...
But, the bit of extended area was enjoyable, although I question having the numbers suddenly jump so high... 19?
I'd almost suggest putting your extended section first; but the original corridor is balanced in that you learn about each enemy until you meet the big floating guy. [Also you get all that health on the way...]

It would be best if there was some kind of shortcut from the extended section to the original section; that is blocked off on your first pass through, so when you are able to complete it; you don't have to return through the extended section too; (unless you have plans for that...)
Anyway, it's a nice start, though I'm sure others would have more advice. Since you are just adding on to sections, if you want feedback quickly; you should probably attach profile.dat saves to the beginning of each new section, so they can test it immediately.

Then once you have the completed game, you can put the whole thing on its own...

Jul 13, 2013 at 9:26 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
By the way you describe it, it seems that one of the old scripts which had many bugs got put in instead of the latest script. i'll upload a new one as soon as possible.

Cave Story Extended mod has now been completed. I have uploaded the completed version and will now play test the game from start to finish. If you notice anything wrong, like a bug or a typo, please tell me and i'll fix it right away. My main focus is to fix the mod and typos until I am happy with it.

Jul 14, 2013 at 3:25 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Well, after talking with X-Cal, I got around to playing this. Although we talked indirectly, I want to say that this mod is really good compared to some. I do have some problems with it however, but they can be simple fixes. Many of them, include getting stuck and having to restart from the last save. (Grasslands had a lot of jumps like that) (There was also one in the labyrinth that makes you drown if you kill the enemy to get shot back up.)
Aside from that, the hidden labyrinth/dungeons are fun. I'll put a description of the ones I was able to find and visit.

Arthur's Dungeon: I looked around and eventually found this. It wasn't too hard to find, but it wasn't obvious either. it's fairly difficult since it's early on in the game, but what I don't like, is that it's impossible to beat early on in the game. (Even if you damage jump, there's one part where it's impossible to do it) Although self-aware, the reward is broken. (It plays the dialogue with Booster giving Quote the booster v2.0)

Wild Jungle: Pretty easy to find, and really long. It is also fairly difficult, which is good for record. The only complaint I have, is that there are many places where you can get stuck and have to reload. The ending is a bit buggy. When leaving the Jungle, it sends you to the Bushlands Hut. (Where the Missile upgrade is after turning on the fans) You can't go backwards, however it is useless as the door in the main grasstown leads to the exact same place.

Sand Arena: It's VERY difficult to get through, and it's impossible to get there unless certain things are met. (You have to go after picking up the 5th dog and triggering Balrog mugging Jenka) Going any time before that, and the game will basically die. (I had a dialogue with Kazuma and Booster talking about the Doctor in Grasstown to an invisible Sue's Letter that will get you stuck.) You are unable to check something else, so during the dialogue (which you can move and jump and shoot in) you can't get out through the door or save. The ending of this area is also glitched. There is a message box delay and then warps you to the hole in the one block in the labyrinth.

Junkyard: I don't have an opinion on this since I have not seen this stage yet.

Unknown Waterpipe: Pretty unique. It does play a beta/unused song, so that's neat. Other then that, the water is a BIG hinderance... you can't boost around with the booster since it's all underwater. There is a lot of dodging/killing involved, so the challenge is there. (I once made it all the way to the end and then a jellyfish killed me...)

Inner Wall: I don't have an opinion on this since I have not seen this stage yet. (Based on details, I think it's the Inner Wall/Lee-way passage from CS3D/CS+ Nemesis challenge)

Cloud City: All I have to say, is "Oh my..." I admit, falling out of the sky wasn't expected, and there are a lot of spears and blocks flying at you. I died a couple times here, and I believe the very bottom the door there does not work. (I did not check to see if talking to the being there and then falling back down will let you go through the door) It is very annoying to get back up if you fall at all. (I was cheap and just restarted whenever I fell and couldn't save myself.)

Hidden Hell:I don't think I've seen this yet, and I have no clue how to get there.

And now I talk about the specific areas.

Egg Corridor: I think the message by the first added Cthulu is misleading. I spent a good 20 missiles firing them at the pipes seeing if they would break like in Cave Story Redesign. Other then that, it's a nice start and adds variety to Egg Corridor.

Grasstown: Not much to say here. It's basically the same except for the added dungeon and the extended part. (I have not tested it, but I think it's possible to get sent into the extended part without the Gum Base) I also think the enemy placement (Only in the beginning) needs to be fixed. (I freaked out when I got assaulted by 3 critters and a giant critter)

Sandzone: Aside from the broken Jenka's Fireplace, it's alright. I did find the Sandzone Garden to be a difficult place to get through. (The Sandzone Arena needs to be more diverse and not repetitive. It is hard though)

Labyrinth: The extended labyrinth was a HUGE pain for me to do. I got stuck once and had to drown because of height/jumping issues. It is also very long and damaging to get through. (I had to fight the Core with 11 hp compared to my 35-some) In the second room btw, there's a hole in the block that when you try checking it, it gives a "This door is locked" or something. (Even though it's a hole) As far as I know, there is no key that unlocks it.

Egg Corridor?: Near the beginning, there's a part that you can go up and go over the level. It is something with blocks not blocking off the ceiling of the level, so I would fix that. Other then that, another difficult, but fun section of the game.

Overall, skipping the Machine Gun, Snake and Booster v0.8 is hard. It took me a couple tries in the labyrinth to get past it. It is possible, and really worth it in the long run.
*EDIT* I was playing the version 1.01 btw.

A bug I found looking at this through Booster's Lab: (spoilered because of big plot stuff from dungeons)

In the one passageway where King/Arthur talks to you, he tells you about going under the blocks and leading to a small room where he's in. I spent a good 3 minutes trying to find it, and I got fed up enough to look at it through Booster's Lab. I then saw, that the entity that I believe that should have lead to the one room is broken in the script. The room it leads to is fine and the script there is alright, but the script getting there is broken.

Jul 14, 2013 at 5:09 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
First off, I am really glad that you enjoyed the parts that were working.

Second, I also thank you for telling me these glitches/bugs

Third, the extra dungeons must be done is a specific order because of what the new NPC tells you it creates a side plot with a fourth ending. The order starts with Sand arena, which you need the booster V2.0 to get through.

Fourth, Because the way I did some of the scripts (Put them to the 9000s) I had to change most of them down to safe flag levels, this is my first mod and
I never really used a tutorial to help me with anything.

and fifth, some scripts might be broken because of booster's lab, which always reverts them back into a buggy state. some backgrounds are also broken
because of an unknown error that happened which changed all backgrounds to Bk0, so I had to change them back.

And again, thanks for taking the time to tell me all this, I have already fixed some of these glitches/bugs and they should be fix by the next release.

Jul 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Wilfre said:
and fifth, some scripts might be broken because of booster's lab, which always reverts them back into a buggy state. some backgrounds are also broken
I'm guessing you're trying to use Cave Editor at the same time for some reason
I recommend, if you're going to do that, stick with one or the other for editing scripts. BL uses a different save file to allow for comments and macros.

Jul 14, 2013 at 5:54 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
The only reason I use Booster's lab is only to fix backgrounds and nothing else. But it would still revert the scripts anyways.
I'm not really a big fan of copying other maps because I like making them from scratch, but I might just be a little be too selfish with that.

Jul 14, 2013 at 6:45 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'll probably include an option to toggle the advanced script mode in the next version.
I doubt anybody actually makes use of it anyway :I

Jul 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I have Updated the mod once again, fixing the extra dungeon's entry issue in which you can visit any dungeon in any order but I fixed this so you must visit them in the order it was made to be. I also made it so the Secret ending (4th) is now possible to get in where you go back to the island. It is also recommended that you go in the dungeons with 50 HP and a life pot because these dungeons can be very difficult, in where I died to them even after using the life pot. Arthur's dungeon is buggy at the moment but I will be fixing it soon.

I am now working on a new mod that links to the secret (4th) ending but as of right now I haven't gotten to a demo release as it is not ready.