Cave Story "Enemy Rush"

Mar 16, 2008 at 4:29 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Weeell I'm not quite sure what to call it. Completely bossless mod, just some (hopefully) fun levels and a LOT of enemies. Prrrooobably gonna change the title if I come up with something better, but for now, it seems to fit, so...

Fifth Demo:
>>Download<<
Mirror

Screenshot animation montage! (all from the most recent update)

p33594-0-cserscreenmontage.gif

In order:
Home, and two screens of some of the various options you have from there.
One shot from Challenge 1.
One shot from Challenge 3.
A couple screens of the level select room.
A couple screens of running the Final Cave via the level select room.
A screenshot proving that whatever is behind the star blocks -can- be accessed... if you figure out how.

Mar 16, 2008 at 5:29 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I'd call it: "After the Flowers" or "Cave Story II: Population Xplosion!"

Mar 16, 2008 at 10:05 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This looks like it's going to be very funny. But I have a question concerning the second screenshot of Mimiga Village. How is it possible to get past these Presses? Quote ist too slow in the water, isn't he? I think that it's possible to survive but I have no clue how it's possible.

Does your mod follow the original Cave Story plot line or does it have no plot line? Cave Story without fighting Balrog, Misery and the Doctor... I have no clue how this may work.

Mar 16, 2008 at 4:45 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Don't worry, it's JUST possible to get past those presses. Just DON'T STOP HOLDING THE LEFT ARROW KEY and you'll be fine. They land almost exactly behind you. :eek: I wouldn't make something impossible now would I? Wait, yes I would, never mind. But this isn't. I've tested all that I have so far myself, with minimal use of testing shortcuts like skipping rooms. Minimal use, I say!

As for plotline... well, technically I guess it's after the events of CS... here, the opening cutscene runs like this.

Curly: There's the teleporter!
Curly: We'd better get back home before that storm hits.
Cutly: Uh-oh, the rain's already started.

She teleports home (it looks a bit awkward since I don't believe there's an ANP for Curly teleporting) but when you head toward the teleporter it gets struck by lightning. Just your luck, it's broken, and you'll have to "take the long way home."

But like I said, that's just me having fun :p I really don't know what the story is. You go through all the levels in the same order... you get the same weapons and whatnot...

Eh, well let's just say the objective is to get a good time.

Not sure about how I'm going to do that, for that matter. Though highly condensed, it'll still take probably up to ten minutes to go from start of Graveyard to end of Grasstown... and the Nikumaru Counter does not allow saving. I know I'm going to include something that lets you just try each level individually, but I don't know if I should make that something you have to complete the game first to get, or include it at the beginning, and have the full game in sequence just be a challenge.

That's why I'm not sure what to name it. There IS no point other than "shoot lots of enemies, and do it quickly." Population Xplosion is not a bad idea though... it's true, after all :p

Mar 16, 2008 at 5:57 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Why not make the counter optional?

MC Dirty said:
This looks like it's going to be very funny. But I have a question concerning the second screenshot of Mimiga Village. How is it possible to get past these Presses? Quote ist too slow in the water, isn't he? I think that it's possible to survive but I have no clue how it's possible.
Isn't it possible to trigger an executioner block by almost going under it and then turning around?

Mar 16, 2008 at 6:04 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
Celtic Minstrel said:
Why not make the counter optional?

Isn't it possible to trigger an executioner block by almost going under it and then turning around?
1: If the counter was optional, it would be too much like the Internal Clock from my mod. (Though it too disallows saving*...)

2: From the sounds of it, not in water.

*My idea first!

Mar 17, 2008 at 4:08 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Looks fun and challenging... I like it.

The rain scene at the beginning is really interesting.

Mar 17, 2008 at 7:16 AM
Justin-chan
Nikumaru Counter, hm, I believe theres a TSC command which lets you save the time recorded, implement that into the Save script?

Mar 17, 2008 at 3:08 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
OMG I'M WAITINg FOR A RELEASE.

Seems like creating Cave Story Sprite based mods is the trend now O_o

Whatever happend to all those creative and new sprites ;-;

Mar 17, 2008 at 3:28 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Havn't you heard? Creating new sprites isn't required if you don't have a storyline! :F

Mar 17, 2008 at 3:37 PM
Luls
ZTaimat said:
Havn't you heard? Creating new sprites isn't required if you don't have a storyline! :F

Nope. Neva herd oph eet.

O_o... it was never required anyways... just looks cooler xD

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:58 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
I'd honestly most likely phail miserably and corrupt a good several files if I were to attempt to edit sprites. There a tutorial anywhere for that?

Anyway, I can only HOPE this works.

Freewebs has this anti-hotlinking thing, so you may have to copy-paste the link into your browser address bar. However, right-click save target as -should- work...

>>Download<<
Code:
http://www.freewebs.com/lyger/enemyrush.zip
(just in case)

I hope I included all the right files... :/

Oh, and just because I have no doubt in my mind that this will be beaten very quickly, my record for start of graveyard to end of Grasstown is 6'58'2. I know my own levels better, obviously, but I know for a fact I'm only a mediocre to somewhat-better-than-average player... so we'll see how quickly someone breaks that.

Also, the Sand Zone is essentially done, since I was working on it simultaneously with debugging Grasstown...

Let me just say, you'd better know what you're getting yourself into if you attempt the Sand Zone without trading for MG. On MG, I made it through with a reasonable amount of health in... three minutes? On Polar Star I barely scraped through with 10 health in five minutes.

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:53 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Alright, it's finally ready!

*Downloads using "Save Target As" right-click menu selection*

Okay, I guess that detail wasn't needed, but I'm still going to play this.

EDIT: It doesn't seem to be working right... The initial area has the wrong tileset and it looks all messed up... Maybe you should include all of your mod's folder's contents? (Doukutsu.exe, in particular) Forgive me for sounding like a whiny pest about this... I was really looking forward to playing this.

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:22 AM
Justin-chan
Put in Doukutsu.exe (Or whatever you renamed it to), Data folder and DoConfig.exe

Mar 18, 2008 at 1:19 PM
Luls
ITS A DEMO!

*plays*

Sorry but I don't usually give responses unless I've got time =/

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:50 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Roonil Wazlib said:
Whoever said that. Jenka's N is CS based and totally awesome.

And yet, it's essentially the same storyline; simply continued in a very professional way. (Well, aside from a few things)

AAAAAnywho. *DL's this thing*

EDIT: Even in extracting, the old stage data gets in the way, replacing several things in the game in a... VERY messy fashion (This is because you used the same file names in making your maps. You lazy bastard). Reupload, including ALL of your files. :/

Mar 18, 2008 at 7:02 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Oh yeah it changes the EXE too. Forgot all about that. Shoot. ><

Kay I'm redoing it with the entire data folder and the exe, although it still seems awkward uploading all those extra files... ah well...

EDIT: Okay try the download now, I overwrote it with the new ZIP that contains everything (even the unchanged original CS rooms...)

Yeah I was lazy, this is the first one I've ever made ;) Sand Zone was the first 100% from scratch room I've successfully done, actually.

Mar 18, 2008 at 10:51 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
the download link doesnt work for me