Cave Story Custom Sprites/Sprite Edits (Please move if in wrong forum)

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:34 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I honestly did not know whether to post this here or in showcase, (If these forums had an "art" section, I would post this there instead.) so please move it if it happens to be in the wrong thread.

So in anticipation for future strips/plotlines of my CS comic (Thread here: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/5356/) I decided to try making a new sprite for a character I'll need in the future. So here's Monster X's Cat form (edited from Jenka's puppy's using Monster X's defeated sprite as a palette):

diph.php

(I really hope it looks more like a cat than a chihuahua...)
*Feel free to use them in whatever, but give credit!

The purpose of this thread is to share, and get critique on Custom Sprites/Sprite edits for Cave Story. Feel free to share your own! :)

(And yes, I did search the forums, I don't think any topics exactly like this have been made yet (usually it's just one person's sprites...))

Mar 31, 2014 at 6:10 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Very nice. They look good, but I think his intimidation sprite could be done a little better. I'll post some sprites if I think of any. :)

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:14 PM
"Huzzah!"
Wow, pretty good for just using one sprite to make others.

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hmm, I guess so, it's not technically for a mod and the old custom characters thread hasn't been used for years. Is there anything else I'm forgetting?

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:38 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Wow, you read my mind! I had been thinking of making a thread pretty much exactly like this, but more general and for all sorts of little stuff (which can be used in mods) you want to share. Thanks for making this early.
Anyways, I adapted a facepic for Chie here(from a beta screenshot and tweaked for a more Chie-ish expression), and I made a CaveStory-compatible tileset of Ikachan here (Preview here, I know there's no point of the sponge rock/fish, but still). However, I might be a bit misunderstood, so just to be sure, would this be a completely valid submission for this thread?

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:05 PM
IdioticBaka1824 said:
Anyways, I adapted a facepic for Chie here(from a beta screenshot and tweaked for a more Chie-ish expression), and I made a CaveStory-compatible tileset of Ikachan here (I know there's no point of the sponge rock, but still). However, I might be a bit misunderstood, so just to be sure, would this be a completely valid submission for this thread?
Evil_Nazgul0616 said:
The purpose of this thread is to share, and get critique on Custom Sprites/Sprite edits for Cave Story.
Yes, It would be valid since it's CS-related.
Also, about that facepic. I don't know why, but one of the eyes looks weird to me... Otherwise it's pretty good.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:53 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Sorry, but that's pretty much the best I could manage.
Also, I think Monster X's cat form was backlit, it's not really supposed to be that dark. Try using a gray one shade lighter, like you can see near the edges. That might help.

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:08 AM
Some new sprites:

I decided to remake both the main spike sprites in a topdown perspective. They have potential in mods to be a background hazard or something... (Or can be used in top-down perspective fangames or whatever else you can find an application for...)

The originals are on the left for comparison: (Also, I thought adding a pool of blood to the Deathtrap Spikes would be a nice touch.)
diph.php

*Feel free to use them in whatever. No credit is needed, but it would be nice!

My exact reason for making these sprites won't be revealed until a future thread that I'll make...

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:44 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Evil_Nazgul0616 said:
Some new sprites:

I decided to remake both the main spike sprites in a topdown perspective. They have potential in mods to be a background hazard or something... (Or can be used in top-down perspective fangames or whatever else you can find an application for...)

The originals are on the left for comparison: (Also, I thought adding a pool of blood to the Deathtrap Spikes would be a nice touch.)
diph.php

*Feel free to use them in whatever. No credit is needed, but it would be nice!

My exact reason for making these sprites won't be revealed until a future thread that I'll make...
Hmm, those look quite interesting, I might have a use for the death trap in "red static"...

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:52 AM
Here's some creepy Ballos edits I made so that I had something other than a black screen for this CS-related youtube upload:

diph.php

I call these: Ballos' Soul
The wings are from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, I thought they added a nice touch.

I'll probably put these in a mod or fangame. (Or maybe in CSRPG if I decide to do the full game.)
Or perhaps someone else can find a use for them (No credit required, but it would be nice.)