Cave story crashing when i use .bmp images

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:09 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey.
I was making a mod and when i was done editing sprites, i tested my mod and it crashed.
Im just guessing that i used .bmp sprite sheets made the game crash.
*note my modding tool was Cave Editor, but i used gimp for sprites*

If anyone can answer my question, thanks!

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:14 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
use booster's lab or find the option in cave editor to change the file extension for images

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:15 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh thanks Noxid!

also, can boosters lab export sprites? and edit them in the software?
*like cave editor*

i did edit the extention to the default but that made it worse

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:13 AM
Piyo Piyo Discord Admin
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Have you removed the (C) Pixel requirement of the .bmps? Probably removing the (C) Pixel requeriment can fix the problem. There's an option on Cave Editor that removes it, or you can just open Booster lab that makes it for you.

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:17 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Just to elaborate on what all these people are talking about with the whole (C)Pixel requirement, they're referring to the fact that all the Cave Story image files have a little hex string at the end which spells "(C)Pixel" to indicate that it's a legitimate Cave Story image, and if it doesn't, the game throws an error and exits out like you were experiencing. Back in the old days, people used to manually edit images on an individual basis and add this "(C)Pixel" string to all edited images, or they would find the "(C)Pixel" string in the exe and remove it, which would remove the requirement for images, so that you don't have to go into a hex editor and add it every time you make a change to an image. Eventually, editors came around that just automatically remove the requirement for you so that you don't have to worry about this anymore. Cave Editor has a simple check box that does it, and Booster's Lab just automatically does it behind the scenes when you open up a game.