Cave Story, Cave Story wii/dsi, Cave Story 3D and now Cave Story+

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:29 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Woh people, i know its an awesome game but im getting sick of the constant remakes. i preferred the original 8-bit Quote than the new ones. instead of them making remakes why dont they make a new 1? :heart: I have started making a fan game with game editor and original C.S Sprites. just in two weeks i've programed quote to jump walk and look up. the level spites are weird i cant ever get them to fit right but its a work in progress. Let it be know that Cave Story 2 (the fan game) is coming not so soon.

it takes place after quote and the others have settled down 3 years after ballos died the factory that made the killer robots started up again mysteriously and the 4 yes 4 Quote,Curly,Misery,and balrog (best 4 last HUZZAH!) have to find out who's behind it

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:43 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You are
not the
first to
make a
fan sequel.
The above are all mods, but there have been attempts to make a sequel with programs like game maker.

Also there hasn't been a sequel since the original creator hasn't wanted to make one. As far as he's concerned, the story is finished :heart:

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:56 AM
inside is yello
"..."
Fix'd

Washp said:
Whoa people, I know it's an awesome game but I'm getting sick of the constant remakes. I preferred the original 8-bit Quote more than the new ones. Instead of them making remakes, why don't they make a new one? :heart: I have started making a fan game with Game Editor and original CS Sprites. In just two weeks, I've programmed Quote to jump, walk, and look upwards. The level spites are weird - I cant ever get them to fit right, but it's a work in progress. Let it be known that Cave Story 2 (the fan game) is coming not so soon.

It takes place after Quote and the others have settled down: 3 years after Ballos died, the factory that made the killer robots mysteriously started up again, and the four (yes four (Quote, Curly, Misery ,and Balrog (best for last, HUZZAH!) have to find out who's behind it.

Sorry, force of habit.

Sep 16, 2011 at 7:30 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Thank you Shimmyzmizz.

Aside from the numerous mods, there is already a Cave Story prequel made in Game Maker and even a practically-perfect fan rewrite of the game using C++.

Of course, making your own is a good thing as long as the story's different, which I see is the case.
By 'Game Editor', I'm assuming Game Maker or Construct. Or are you using something else?

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:03 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ok now I want 2 clear things up
No.1 I'm not making a mod I'm making a game from almost scratch I'm new to designing. I know of the mods Made mine is just simply given the name cs2 I'm not even able to access the games cause I use a Mac

No.2 I'm not using game maker I'm using a totally different software called game editor it's free and works really well

The only problem I face so far is I cant get the right resolution of the map tiles they are really off and I can't get it right I was able to make quote just fine though

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:41 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Carrotlord said:
Thank you Shimmyzmizz.

Aside from the numerous mods, there is already a Cave Story prequel made in Game Maker and even a practically-perfect fan rewrite of the game using C++.

Of course, making your own is a good thing as long as the story's different, which I see is the case.
By 'Game Editor', I'm assuming Game Maker or Construct. Or are you using something else?
Ok now I want 2 clear things up
No.1 I'm not making a mod I'm making a game from almost scratch I'm new to designing. I know of the mods Made mine is just simply given the name cs2 I'm not even able to access the games cause I use a Mac

No.2 I'm not using game maker I'm using a totally different software called game editor it's free and works really well

The only problem I face so far is I cant get the right resolution of the map tiles they are really off and I can't get it right I was able to make quote just fine though

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:32 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I hate to break it to you, but using any program remotely similar to Game Maker is not programming. The program itself is doing all the programming for you while you plug in sprites and variables.

You'd probably be a lot better off just using modding tools for Cave Story itself. It would play a lot better than something made in Game Maker and it's a lot easier to use.

And you'd better use better grammar than that in the actual game...

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:42 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Mr.Traveler said:
I hate to break it to you, but using any program remotely similar to Game Maker is not programming.
That's bullshit. That statement has the same level of truth as saying that using C++ isn't programming because the compiler does all the work of turning it into REAL code. Game Maker, while primarily visual, is just a pretty interface for a high level language. While gml is interpreted and that is sub-optimal, it is still programming.

Furthermore, he just wants to make a game. You don't need to be a 1337 h4x0r to make a game. You don't even need to be a good programmer to make a game (see: Pixel). What is programming, ultimately, has nothing to do with his goal, and it's sort of tangential and dickish to bring it up in the first place.

kthxbye.

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:42 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I totally agree with Lace. See my below explanation.

Mr.Traveler said:
I hate to break it to you, but using any program remotely similar to Game Maker is not programming. The program itself is doing all the programming for you while you plug in sprites and variables.

This isn't true. Game editor has code, functions, and even ways to implement algorithms such as bubble sort.

Game Maker, which is supposedly kinda similar to Game Editor, also contains a built-in programming language: GML. Syntactically, GML is similar to C (albeit not a very handy version of it).

If he (the original poster) wants to call it programming, I think that's fine.

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:54 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Lace said:
That's bullshit. That statement has the same level of truth as saying that using C++ isn't programming because the compiler does all the work of turning it into REAL code.

Lol.

Anyway, sorry. I came off harsh. I didn't know that Game Maker had functions like that. I offered the suggestion that he just mod Cave Story because it's a lot easier and doesn't require the tedious trial-and-error kind of programming an elaborate game would need. Let's just stick with that aspect of my post.

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:11 PM
inside is yello
"..."
Well, I agree with you on the grammar part...