Cave Story Card Game - I need your help!

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:17 PM
"Huzzah!"
omegahippie said:
is this still being worked on? I love the idea of this card game so far but I will need to study it more to understand it better
(I skimmed through it)
Yes, unless the creator says so...
He's just creating more cards and perfecting his work.
You can't just expect daily updates. These things take time...

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:39 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
thanks for the heads up!
I will keep an eye out for this

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:26 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
jj4226 said:
Yes, unless the creator says so...
He's just creating more cards and perfecting his work.
You can't just expect daily updates. These things take time...
Yup, I'm still plugging away! I've mocked up two full distinct decks now (see the update on the main post to learn more about what characters/sets I'm working on) and now I'm trying to test as much as I can so I can work out some of the bugs.

I've found a place to print real custom cards cheaply, for like 5-6 bucks a pack, for small quantities, so I might move into that for prototypes in the future.

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:10 PM
"Huzzah!"
andhegames said:
Yup, I'm still plugging away! I've mocked up two full distinct decks now (see the update on the main post to learn more about what characters/sets I'm working on) and now I'm trying to test as much as I can so I can work out some of the bugs.

I've found a place to print real custom cards cheaply, for like 5-6 bucks a pack, for small quantities, so I might move into that for prototypes in the future.
"This Game is Still Being Worked on" Confirmed!

Jul 6, 2014 at 3:09 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Kind of sounds like Magic: The Gathering. First off it needs tapping, and untapping phases. When a creature attacks, it taps. If a creature blocks, it can't tap. You can't use tappable abilities while the creature is tapped.

Jul 6, 2014 at 4:03 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Pokemon
Yugioh
Cardfight Vanguard
Chaotic
Basically any tcg ever
Unless you want a game in which your monsters can instantly obliterate the opponent by attacking as many times as they want

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:08 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
you need to have a balrog hero card as well, along with a misery hero card.

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:31 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Hey do you have the legal rights to make this a project?

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:50 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
As long as it is a free fan project that isn't treading on the toes of any commercial venture then he shouldn't need it. If he wants to sell and market it then then of course he would need permission from Pixel.

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
andwhyisit said:
As long as it is a free fan project that isn't treading on the toes of any commercial venture then he shouldn't need it. If he wants to sell and market it then then of course he would need permission from Pixel.
At this point I think he would need rights from Nicalis, since as far as I'm aware they own them now.

Aug 26, 2014 at 4:21 PM
"Huzzah!"
Uh oh...AndHeGames hasn't been online for a WHOLE MONTH!
Could it be that the Cave Story Card Game is cancelled, or even worse, ...gasp!... postponed indefinitely?!?

Gonna have to start a new trend:

p184712-0-untitled.png

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:11 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
...or #BBCSCG for short? I like it.
I'm working on a game for Kickstarter (get up-to-date info here:https://tinyletter.com/andhedrew) but I'm still going to work on this project going forward!

Here's the plan for the future of Cave Story Card Game:

1. I'll keep polishing the two decks I have.
2. I'll mock them up (as a complete FAN PROJECT, not-for-profit) in Pixel's style, with his art.
3. I'll release the beta rules as they are, and I'll allow anyone to edit/refine the rules. Maybe I'll establish a wiki, or something.
4. I'll release the files in a printable format, so anyone can order a prototype for a few bucks. (no profit for me)
5. It would be awesome if we could make a web app that could generate new cards easily, so that anyone could make new Cave Story cards to test. I'll talk to a dev I know, but if anyone else wants to work on this, let me know.

...and it can grow organically from there! I would really like this to grow to be a community project, not just an Andhegames project. Any thoughts?

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:01 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I would really love to play this game when finished. Keep up the good work :)

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:11 PM
"Huzzah!"
andhegames said:
I'm working on a game for Kickstarter (get up-to-date info here:https://tinyletter.com/andhedrew) but I'm still going to work on this project going forward!

2. I'll mock them up (as a complete FAN PROJECT, not-for-profit) in Pixel's style, with his art.
3. I'll release the beta rules as they are, and I'll allow anyone to edit/refine the rules. Maybe I'll establish a wiki, or something.
4. I'll release the files in a printable format, so anyone can order a prototype for a few bucks. (no profit for me)
5. It would be awesome if we could make a web app that could generate new cards easily, so that anyone could make new Cave Story cards to test. I'll talk to a dev I know, but if anyone else wants to work on this, let me know.

...and it can grow organically from there! I would really like this to grow to be a community project, not just an Andhegames project. Any thoughts?
Yeah! My fears were dismissed.

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:15 AM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
I will play this. Maybe you could find a card game engine and have a PC version? That would be fun.

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:52 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
funwillfunwill said:
I will play this. Maybe you could find a card game engine and have a PC version? That would be fun.
That's an awesome idea. I don't know anything about this, but it sounds sweet!

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:07 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
andhegames said:

Not a web app, but Magic Set Editor is quite useful for making cards, even if for fun. It can make cards in the form of MTG, VS, And Yugioh. Even if this isn't used just try around, it is quite fun to make cards :)

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:30 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
kolekelley2 said:
Not a web app, but Magic Set Editor is quite useful for making cards, even if for fun. It can make cards in the form of MTG, VS, And Yugioh. Even if this isn't used just try around, it is quite fun to make cards :)
Cool! That's a blast.
Quick update, 9/23/14 : working steadily on my games, and learning more about game design. It's impressive how little I know sometimes. Testing, testing.

Advice: say "hi" to me on Twitter, @Andhegames. I'll say "hi" back.

Nov 20, 2014 at 7:29 PM
"Huzzah!"
Secret Observer Development Blog #1: Nothing has been updated for 2 months. Is he dead?

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:04 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Can you stop assuming the worst after every single month-long interval, because it's probably the exact same case as the last time you thought the project was dead.