Cave Story+ Beta Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2011 at 4:23 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
It feels good to know you helped a game you love somehow, thanks for this opportunity Tyrone and Evan. :droll:
But changing the subject a little, do the game have a release date already or you guys are still sorting this out with valve?

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:57 PM
Pirate Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Ah cool so beta testing is done release date? :)

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:52 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Nov 22, 2011 at 8:25 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
MAJOR bug:
When you die doing one of the challenges, and you exit and change to a different challange, the time from the previous challange stays on the timer and adds to your current time.

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:26 PM
And I still can't play it since the last patch... Now it asks me to install the game and nothing happens, then it asks again, and again...and goes like that forever. :)

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:22 PM
CommanderJersey said:
MAJOR bug:
When you die doing one of the challenges, and you exit and change to a different challange, the time from the previous challange stays on the timer and adds to your current time.

I'm encountering the same thing, except that for me, it only happens when I play Wind Fortress. So if I die in Wind Fortress, and play it again, the time from my previous attempt carries over. Or if I play and die in one of the other Challenges, and then go into Wind Fortress, the previous challenge's time carries over. I checked if times carried over into Challenges other than Wind Fortress, and they haven't, at least on my end.

Also, I noticed a graphical bug in Wind Fortress, one that I don't remember being there in previous versions:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg122/emayer555/Odds and Ends/WindFortressBluePixel.jpg

There are blue pixels beneath several of the tips of blades of grass. It looks like the glitch repeats as that blade of grass repeats in the scenery. You can see one of them directly to the left of Quote in that screencap. I know Beta Testing is officially over, but I can post these things in the bug report if you want.

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:19 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Hey guys (and girls),

Anyone who was a beta tester, please try to download the game again from your Steam client, if you haven't done so already.

It should be available now. We were able to confirm on our end, but I want to make sure it's good to go for everyone else. Evan and I will still have some bug fixes to go through, but please check it out and

THANK YOU!!!

You all were awesome and we absolutely 100-percent appreciate the help. I'll make sure you all get a copy of NightSky for Steam as well, and probably our future releases, too :)

-ty

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:23 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
When would the future mod be added and where on the title screen would it be located?

AlsoYOU'RE WELCOME!!!1!

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:52 PM
Woah, the Cave+ copy is already a great gift considering the testing period was fun. You will get us spoiled giving so much. :p

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:53 PM
CommanderJersey said:
When would the future mod be added and where on the title screen would it be located?

AlsoYOU'RE WELCOME!!!1!

Pixel and I will review the submissions, once we actually get some! :p

They'll probably be located in a Player Challenges section similar to the Challenges on the Main Menu.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:56 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
tyrone said:
Pixel and I will review the submissions, once we actually get some! :p

They'll probably be located in a Player Challenges section similar to the Challenges on the Main Menu.

We're all making a community mod, if you look in the modding section of the forums. If you want to you can see what we have so far.

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:33 AM
CommanderJersey said:
We're all making a community mod, if you look in the modding section of the forums. If you want to you can see what we have so far.

We'll definitely have a look. But honestly I'm more a fan of a single person's creation than one mod by a large group. It tends to make things inconsistent if you do the latter. But it could be awesome!

-ty

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:32 AM
Didn't end up getting my code, but I just bought the game.

Cave Story is definitely worth the total $72 I've invested into it. To me, at least. :debug:

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:04 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey Tyrone, I rather like CS+ so far! But there's one little nitpicky thing that really bugs me, and that is: the original soundtrack is lacking the stereo effects it used to have. Do you think maybe you could fix that, pretty please? :debug:

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:06 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Mr.Traveler said:
Cave Story is definitely worth the total $72 I've invested into it. To me, at least. :debug:
So they've released it now? Cool, i'll go scoop that up - and if I find any bugs i'm going to laugh. Hard. xD

I have no idea how much i've spent on this 'free' game, probably around about the same. I think it's funny that we purchase, and then play the same game, repeatedly, for every console that we own.

Ok it's finished installing, lets take a look~

Edit: I managed to set up my controller without a hitch, but when I go to [controls...] and then [set up...] it doesn't ask me to input the "down" and "right" buttons. Might just be my computer screwing around, and if not then you're probably already aware of it - just thought i'd mention it anyway.

Collision Cat said:
the original soundtrack is lacking the stereo effects it used to have.
the "original" music in the WiiWare version sounded like it was lacking percussion or something, I assumed that was because of the transition between formats. The music in CS+ sounds perfectly normal to me though.

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:20 AM
Collision Cat said:
Hey Tyrone, I rather like CS+ so far! But there's one little nitpicky thing that really bugs me, and that is: the original soundtrack is lacking the stereo effects it used to have. Do you think maybe you could fix that, pretty please? :debug:

We're looking into this. Can you or anyone else confirm which song(s) you notice most in? Evan confirmed it should be in stereo so any info would be awesome.

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:33 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Aww, he couldn't secure the CS3d music? Bummer but life goes on.

Edit: oh my, the steam bannerpic is from CS3d? Yikes, that may throw some people off.
Edit2: Why is the launch trailer so completely spoilery?

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:53 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
seren said:
Edit2: Why is the launch trailer so completely spoilery?

Oh god wow i agree, that shows a little too much

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:51 PM
Spoilers are only spoilers if you know they're spoilers.

The first half of the trailer is intended to show the basics of the game while the second half shows all the cool stuff you can unlock. No story elements are ruined.

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:26 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
tyrone said:
You all were awesome and we absolutely 100-percent appreciate the help. I'll make sure you all get a copy of NightSky for Steam as well, and probably our future releases, too
You're spoiling us! :heartrefill: I can't complain, I've wanted to play the full Nightsky for ages. People are bound to enjoy that game :D
If it's true, thank you, thank you

xristosx said:
Oh god wow i agree, that shows a little too much

Plot wise, it looked pretty safe. Although it showed off a lot of the final/secret levels; which should entice those who've already played Cave Story to come check out this release...

Only issues I might have are : the music is awesome, and those versions of the songs aren't in the actual game [right?] (wonders if I could *buy that version to have in the game *hint) :p
Also, it could possibly spoil that
The island is floating in the sky. When I first played Cave Story, I didn't know it was a floating island until about half way through :o
Although, only someone who was reallyy paying attention might notice it. (The name of the area was the bottom of the island, and the background is high in the sky)

All in all, Good attract trailer :D

(Hmm speaking of attract demos... Cave Story would be an awesome game to have Player or Demo recordings for. As in, you can save your last attempt at hell and be able to play it back or even share it without needing to record it with fraps. Could record Hell/failed Hell attempts or wherever in the game, and have an option to let it play back at the title screen if you don't push a button.

Even if it's just little snippets of play, it would be pretty neat...
Of course, there should be an options area to load up any saved recording and play it back in its entirety too..., or set it to randomly play?)

Status
Not open for further replies.