Cave Story+ Beta Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2011 at 4:35 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Actually, nevermind... Just got a PM saying the Dark Quote appeared because we are near halloween, but the other ones only appeared because of the difficulty. It's because the sudden Dark Quote as soon as I fix a save file scared the hell outta me so I just thought it was related to the difficulty skins.
Sorry for the trouble guys. :D

Oct 26, 2011 at 7:06 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Found something fishy!

If you have Sue's Letter, the save is not fixable anymore, even by the save fixer.
If you are in map 26, the save is not fixable anymore, even by the save fixer.

Sue's letter is item 26. There is something evil about this number 26, which is 0x1A in hex.

Possibly because in ASCII, it's the substitute character? It's also really suspicious that 0x1A is used for 'end of user input'.

How to fix saves that occur AFTER getting Sue's Letter:

1. Read Sue's letter. (This will set a flag, and you need this flag to talk to Sue's Mom)
2. Save someplace.
3. Use the save fixer.
4. Using a hex editor, replace all instances of 0x1A in your file with something else, such as 0x01. There should only be one 0x1A, which is Sue's letter itself.
(This will delete the letter, which is why I told you to read it first)
5. Load and see if it works.

Now I must rewrite my fixer to include this extra step, such that the user won't have to do hex editing. I don't guarantee that my hunch is correct, but try it and see.

Also notice that Prefab occurs after you get Sue's Letter. *hint hint*

Oct 26, 2011 at 7:15 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
If you want to make a better save fixer, have it go through the file and remove all \r characters which precede \n characters. This should usually leave the file at (I think) 131,104 bytes -- if it's any less it's basically unsalvagable due to an ambiguity.

I'll aim for a patch Thursday or possibly tomorrow.

And re: reading between the lines, don't get your hopes up. :D

EDIT: I'm pretty sure 0x1A is also a textmode-related screwup. It ought to be fixed in the patch.

Oct 26, 2011 at 7:20 AM
Not anymore
Evan Balster said:
If you want to make a better save fixer, have it go through the file and remove all \r characters which precede \n characters. This should usually leave the file at (I think) 131,104 bytes -- if it's any less it's basically unsalvagable due to an ambiguity.

The save fixer already does this.

It also inserts 0x00s near the end of the savefile depending on the number of \r\n to \n replacements, which keeps the savefile the same size.

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:36 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Has anyone encountered this error:
uhh.gif

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:38 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
andwhyisit said:
Has anyone encountered this error:
uhh.gif

Haven't you been checking the bug sheet that all the beta testers were given?  At least 3 people have had that bug.

Oct 26, 2011 at 7:37 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Um, sorry if this has been answered, but do you need a 1.1 pixel shader (or higher)
to play Cave Story +? My graphics card is really bad, so if it needs that then I can't play it.

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:41 PM
Not anymore
New Version of Save Fixer! (Again!)

Save Fixer Version 1.2

This is what it does:

1. Solves the \r\n problem.
2. Warns you if any of your save slots contain map #26.
3. Fixes Sue's letter problem (for every save slot if necessary). If you forgot to read the letter, that's okay because the Save Fixer also fixes your flags so you'll still be able to talk to Momorin*.

*Flag changing only happens if you already have Sue's letter, did not read it yet, and got a corrupted save.

So, uh, does it work on prefab savefiles?

EDIT: Noxid has confirmed that this works on his prefab save.

Oct 27, 2011 at 5:11 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Heya! I've given the new build to Tyrone, who should be publishing it shortly. It fixes save corruption, the DLL issue, weapon achievements where <TAM is involved, and the memory leak with music. I suspect corrupted saves were also behind many other bugs, and due to the subtle ways the corruption can manifest I fear any saves generated with the old system are a little "unclean" by nature.

That last bit is to say it would be super great if you could delete your profile.dat and start ALL OVER AGAIN, or back up your old file and start a new one. Very lame, yes.

Failing this, at least fiddle with your volume settings (both of them) before playing -- I suspect their corruption is related to the sound bugs that were reported, other than the grasstown music blaring which is just the file.

Your contributions are appreciated :momo:

Oct 27, 2011 at 2:06 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Evan Balster said:
I suspect corrupted saves were also behind many other bugs...

That last bit is to say it would be super great if you could delete your profile.dat and start ALL OVER AGAIN, or back up your old file and start a new one. Very lame, yes.

And that there is why I forwent the save fixer in favor of waiting for the next build, since the progress would be reset anyhow :momo:

Oct 27, 2011 at 8:11 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I think the current requirement for the S rank for Boss Attack (8 minutes?) is a bit unreasonable. On my best runs I can get just under 9 minutes, but I can get 9:30 consistently. I'd recommend that 10 minutes be the requirement for S rank.

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:30 PM
Pirate Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Prinny said:
Um, sorry if this has been answered, but do you need a 1.1 pixel shader (or higher)
to play Cave Story +? My graphics card is really bad, so if it needs that then I can't play it.
no you don't

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:26 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Whoopsie. I added the wrong DLL for this patch and it made the world blow up for a few people. Expect a fix for that (and a title screen beta version indicator) tomorrow earlyish -- we have to have someone at Valve push a button to make changes.

Oct 28, 2011 at 11:12 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Guys (and girls),

The game has been updated on Steam. If you go have a look now it should be a new version with a number of fixes.

-ty

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:02 AM
Hey, Ty, I replied to the beta testing e-mail you sent off to everyone, but I haven't gotten a code. Was I too late or something?

No disrespect intended, of course. :muscledoc:

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:03 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Mr.Traveler said:
Hey, Ty, I replied to the beta testing e-mail you sent off to everyone, but I haven't gotten a code. Was I too late or something?

No disrespect intended, of course. :muscledoc:

Please e-mail me again.

-ty

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:09 AM
Oct 29, 2011 at 4:40 AM
Pirate Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Re: Cave Story+

tyrone said:
Hey All,

Thanks for the posts. You don't have to be a modding pro or even a modder to beta test. We're mainly looking for different PC configurations (and we'll need to know your PC specs, Windows XP/Vista/W7, monitor size/resolution etc.) so that we can properly scope out all the bugs that might exist before release.

Mac/OS X is a pretty closed system and most of the machines are generally all quite similar. Any and all help with the Windows version is appreciated.

Please keep in mind that if you do sign up, we do need help reporting the bugs. In return, I can give anyone who helps properly test a credit in the game (if you're willing to use your real name since we don't credit forum handles) and a steam copy of the game. If you're not comfortable giving out your name, that's totally ok--you're still welcome to help test and still can get a code for a release version of the game.

-ty

Sorry I'm so late, but I REALLY WANT TO BETA TEST.

Heck, I have flair on /r/cavestory for being such a good contributor! (No-one else has it).

From now on, I'll check this thread everyday, but if you are urgent, add me on Steam.

Contact me if you want my e-mail and/or name. I'm privacy-conscious, so thats why I'm doing that.

Also, I do not have a source of income, so I can not pay for Cave Story+. I'd rather beta test it and find bugs than do nothing for Nicalis.

-mcpower

Oct 29, 2011 at 9:25 AM
Discord Group Moderator
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
depending on what you want me to do, like test(play) the game for glitches
and bugs, I'd be glad to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.