Cave story as a text based adventure (concept)

May 15, 2013 at 11:44 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
i am hoping to get around to making a text based adventure version of cave story or providing an idea for a expert in making texed baced adventures to work of as long as they put me in credits of the game.

May 15, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
A text-based Cave Story? That sounds interesting! I've played through Zork and The Colossal Cave a few times, and I think Cave Story could definitely work as a text adventure.

May 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
yeah i was playing a txt baced game called Galatea when i thought up the idea. the site i played Galatea on was http://www.web-adventures.org/
also i got this thred on the wrong part of the forum and am hoping for a admin to move this to the right area on cave story mods.

May 15, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Generally a good idea is to slow down while posting so you don't make grammatcul erors and dn't mash tje post buton oe yoi mighe twpfkt psyt

May 15, 2013 at 12:37 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Technically if this isn't actually a mod *of* cave story then this is where I think it should go.

May 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Thanks for the help noxid, I was starting to worry i had mucked up with posting . :)
Any way..back to this threads subject .
Does anyone have any experience with making text based adventures?

May 15, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Been here way too long...
Yes. Text adventures are about puzzle solving. Cave Story is about shooting animals. I can count the puzzles in Cave Story on my fingers, so you've got your work cut out for you.

May 16, 2013 at 2:38 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
true but it could be tricky getting the same quality of game play that is in the actual game of cave story but im gona get in to tutorials on text based adventures and i will link the you tube links for anyone else who wants to try get in to writing text based adventures .

May 20, 2013 at 4:30 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
You know this is actually a really interesting idea to me. There may not be a ton of puzzles in Cave Story but they could be made somewhat more interesting in text adventure form. For example, if you haven't played CS having to do things like "pour jellyfish jelly on fire" would sound like one of those oddly cryptic solutions common in some text adventures. :p
And another reason it could work is that CS already has a very cool story, characters, dialogue, and writing descriptions of things sounds neat. Of course, the trickiest part would most likely be programming a good combat system (because making one is unavoidable).

May 29, 2013 at 12:19 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
As far as how you are going to do this goes, I recomend you use python for this. It's an easy to learn/use language that I've used before on projects that eventually never happened... ;_;

May 29, 2013 at 2:30 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Seems interesting... I'll check back on this within a few weeks to see if it hasn't been cancelled and my hopes will be crushed

Jul 2, 2013 at 4:14 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I've made a few text games before, but nothing this large. I'd be willing to help out if you'd like. If you want my help, I'm experienced using batch files and I can somewhat use Game Maker 8. If you would like my assistance, shoot me a pm.

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:12 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
There is a free program for text games, it's called Twine.

Aug 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Professional Whatever
You can make text based games with like any programming language ever

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
MagicDoors said:
You can make text based games with like any programming language ever
True, you could even do it with the TSC that Cave Story has, you just never use <FAI.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
TSC isn't a programming language, I wish people would stop referring to it as such.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Hm.

So, correct me if I'm wrong...TSC is a sort of "system" within a game made in C++?

I'm not honestly sure of what you'd classify TSC as, although I can see how it isn't a programming language.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:56 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Sounds like a great idea, the second best mechanic in the game [Cave story] is talking to other people and this would make a great game for that purpose

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
When most people refer to programming languages, they mean "turing complete" languages, that are capable of being their own programs or whatnot. TSC is more of a "scripting language", which only works within Cave Story and does very specific things, and lacks the ability to create variables and such. One could theoretically make TSC turing complete, though.

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:15 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
TSC isn't a programming language, I wish people would stop referring to it as such.
I didn't say it was... I was just saying that it wouldn't be impossible to make something similar to a "text adventure" using just the message box functions and yes/no jumps (of course it would be severely limited).

Possible? Yes. Worthwhile? Of course not. But it just goes to show how you don't need anything special to make a text adventure.