Cave Story 3DS Discussion

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:40 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Re: Cave Story 3DS Announced!

MetaSeraphim said:
Sabrina doesn't count, you're using her three year old version against her present day version. In game time that is.

She uses the exact same clothing design in G/S/C as she did in R/B/Y. They completely changed that in HG/SS, which is supposed to be the exact same game.

p120984-0-sabrina02.png
p120984-1-sabrinahgss.gif

And I'm not sure what you mean by her "three-year old" version.

Mar 4, 2011 at 9:40 PM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"

G/S/C take place 3 years after R/B/Y.

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:44 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Mar 6, 2011 at 7:19 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

solid English localization
OH YEAH!

No but really, it looks nice. I am wondering why the Bushlands are yellowish mounds, though.

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:47 PM
Hey.

Looks alright, but I think that Bushlands/Grasstown should have actual grass, not hills of greenish-yellow.

Mar 7, 2011 at 2:53 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
YAH!!!

I FEEL SO HAPPY!!! I FEEL LIKE BALROG WHEN HE SAYS HUZZAH!!! I'M SO HAPPY!!!

Mar 7, 2011 at 5:34 AM
Been here way too long...
Re: YAH!!!

royaltyler said:
I FEEL LIKE BALROG WHEN HE SAYS HUZZAH!!!
You feel like beating people up?

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:37 PM
Starbound sucked sadly

After looking at more and more screen shots, im actually now disappointed, i reckon the concept images look better, and would look better if they actually did that quality on a 2d version, like the wii version should of been

(well except the egg corridor that still looks awesome in the 3d version.)

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:53 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ

I think it's cute that they're trying to inject their own personality into CS with these new tiles and such

the more new maps I look at, though, the more I feel like they've messed up

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:27 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"

I am extremely disappointed by this. It's the exact same game, just with different graphics. Hell it probably won't even feel the same when played, unless they work really hard on getting the response/physics right. That's *twice* now the game has been remade. Something doesn't seem right.

andwhyisit said:
CS' backstory has all the makings of a great prequel.

@CF: Although Quote and Curly's role back then was quite minor, so centering a prequel around them doesn't really make sense.

Yes, but there were three other 'lords' before the Doctor. All of them died. With that much magical power, I doubt they'd of died from old age. *Someone* killed them.

Mar 10, 2011 at 8:11 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"

Buy twice what`s already free. Much like mineral water. In the light of this version CSWii seems like a waste of money. This looks awesome.

Mar 14, 2011 at 2:13 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."

There is too much vapid complaining in this thread. :)

Mar 14, 2011 at 3:08 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

They're releasing a freeware game commercially after already doing so once on the Wii and neither of them are going to end up being as good as the original. Dat p should be an l.

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:33 AM
/end

Both of you are wrong.

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:35 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

MetaSeraphim said:
Both of you are wrong.

Oh would you look at that, an opinion in this thread that I can agree with.

Mar 18, 2011 at 7:04 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"

I see absolutely nothing wrong with cavestory 3D. i have seen alot of criticism here and else where on the internet. It's going to be exactly the same game as the original, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. This is a really smart business move on Nicalis's part. Not only is it going to attract new players, but also give a proper homage to a great game! I have tried to get my friends to play it, but most of them are put off by the old school graphics. Not only that, Pixel stated that a sequel might be on the horizon, so why not remake the first one in 3D so all the people who missed out can catch up. With the game being released within the launch window of the 3DS, a tittle like cavestory will move off the shelves just as fast as the bigger tittle.

Alot of these "issues" that people seem to have with the graphical style and translation are false. The translation for the original was a FAN made translation, while the one for cavestory on the wii and now 3DS are the REAL translation as told my pixel him self. Everything they make has to make it past pixel, NOTHING will get into the game if he doesn't approve. so if you hate on the new stuff, you hate on pixel.

I do ALOT of 3D designs, and from experience i can tell you that concepts don't always look like there 3D counter parts. they are more of guidelines to make the 3D model look better.

All in all, i am very excited to pick this up (already have it preordered)

Mar 18, 2011 at 9:10 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Yes, even I get bored of myself

Pretty much talked about all these points before already, and not that they're not valid or anything, you have to understand one thing.
When did you first see Cave Story and play it? Most members here have played since long before the remakes, that makes most of us all pretty hard set in old ways.
{Even I feel loathing at the 'Oh yeah!' instead of 'Huzzah!'} It's sorta a large case of They Changed It Now It Sucks, really. First impressions are everything, that's why people who are just now getting into Cave Story don't react the same. They didn't have years to get use to the original Cave Story. It's like someone looking back at all the SNES Mario games and going 'Meh' while they go back to play Galaxy 2, never really realizing their significance...
Just try to see that point when you see people getting cranky about it.
People's 'issues' with the graphical and translations can't be false, because they're opinions. Neither right nor wrong, as yours is.
People don't have to just like it because Pixel did it {Though that should be a strong case} or that it got his say or whatnot. Everyone has some part in the original Cave Story they dislike {Apparently Monster X}, but that doesn't mean they hate the game and Pixel because of it, right? Same logic here.

Both sides need to remember that, though, it gets annoying to listen to people whine about the remakes being a waste of money and whatnot. Obviously, something's working here, or we wouldn't be having two remakes, let alone just one. What game do you know of that's gotten such treatment so quickly, from Freeware to two new commercial remakes?
Apparently, a lot of people disagree with your opinions of this stuff being a waste of money and just simple reskins, or they wouldn't be doing so well.
And, obviously, they outnumber you. By a lot.

So, yeah, I'm just gonna wait/forget about it and see what it's like when it finally comes out.
Usually the easiest way to do it.

Mar 18, 2011 at 7:10 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

If it came out, I'd definitely buy it. Most of the art is pretty nice. The characters, though, are meh. Quote seems too young, Curly seems too fat, and Misery looks too old. But, who am I to judge?