Cave Story 3D project

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:25 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I'll put this in my own thread instead of posting WIP pictures in the fanart thread.

I started making Quote's head a looong time ago. It slowly evolved into a full body, and a couple of days ago I dug it up again and started working on it. It turned into this.

Stage 1: https://andwhyisit.bugsiteguardian.com/cstsf/broken8/quoteWIP1.png

Stage 2:

I know it is miles away from perfect, and that's why I'm posting it here. I need feedback. I need ideas. I need motivation to keep working on it.

So post all your comments and criticism. While I appreciate short comments about how godly I am (just kidding. Seriously.), I like getting constructive criticism a lot more. It gives me something to work with.

Anything you got, throw it at me. :D

-----

Also, I started making Curly tonight too. She's a modified version of the Quote model, still very much a WIP.

Stage 1: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Bi9/BlendR/curlyWIP1.png

Stage 2:

Yes, I am aware she's missing legs.

To do list for Quote:
  • Improve folds
  • Write something on his cap
  • Give him weapons
  • Restructure face to make animation possible
  • Textures?

To do list for Curly:
  • Hair...
  • Remake torso
  • Give her a weapon
  • Tie her to Quote's back
  • Restructure face to make animation possible

I hope I'll get some response that'll keep me working on this. My goal is to make some kind of scene from the game. That reminds me, I need to make Balrog too.

- Volant

Aug 3, 2008 at 6:00 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
If you're just making an artist's rendition, you're doing fine. If you're trying to make objects for say, a game, I'd go with the more cartoon look, since it seems to be what pixel was intent on. Basically make them about a foot and a half shorter and give them slightly larger heads. Oh, and try putting them through a cell shader, you might like what you see.

I've always wanted to do a simple 3d Cave Story game in Torque. Speaking of which, what program are you using and what file types does it export?

Aug 3, 2008 at 6:12 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Whoa man you rock!! :D

Btw it would be cool if you actually could animate them and show them in action 3D style xD.

Hey did you, by any chance, use Autodesk VIZ to make these? >_>

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:15 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Curly's boobs don't look like boobs.

I'm not turned on. ):

Aug 3, 2008 at 9:50 AM
rtnario said:
What exactly are you gonna do with these? =o
If I stick to it long enough, hopefully I can remake some scenes from the game, or some of Pixel's art, in 3D. That's what I'm aiming for. Maybe an animation too, if I decide to get skills.

Atravir said:
If you're just making an artist's rendition, you're doing fine. If you're trying to make objects for say, a game, I'd go with the more cartoon look, since it seems to be what pixel was intent on. Basically make them about a foot and a half shorter and give them slightly larger heads. Oh, and try putting them through a cell shader, you might like what you see.
Making games really isn't my thing, and I don't like being constrained by having to keep the poly count low. I guess this would be my (an artist :D) rendition of the characters, and in a slightly more realistic style than Pixel did. The chibi-ish style with large heads and short bodies has from my experience been hard to both draw and make in 3D... My mind doesn't like it. :p

I do still want a rather cartoony look, though. Maybe as an excuse not to make too many details and super realistic textures. Because I suck at that.

I like the cel shader idea, though. I will try that out.

Atravir said:
I've always wanted to do a simple 3d Cave Story game in Torque. Speaking of which, what program are you using and what file types does it export?
I'm using Blender. Free, open-source, etc. It exports...pretty much anything.

Metalogz said:
Whoa man you rock!!

Btw it would be cool if you actually could animate them and show them in action 3D style xD.

Hey did you, by any chance, use Autodesk VIZ to make these? >_>
Thank you. :D

I hope I'll get as far as animating them, yeah. Although it probably won't be anything advanced... I haven't done much animation yet, so that will be the hardest, but definitely the peak of the project.

And no.. I'm not a good friend of the Autodesk programs. Ugh. :p

jcys810 said:
Curly's boobs don't look like boobs.

I'm not turned on. ):
I know! I'm thinking the same thing. Take a look at the to-do list for her. They are top-priority, and I can assure you I'll try to give them a look that will satisfy you. :p

Aug 3, 2008 at 9:56 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Oh well, her eyes look pretty big. Only thing I can spot other than boobs.

Aug 3, 2008 at 12:36 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Neat job on Curly! The hands do look better (must be the way they're positioned) but still need a little work, and the arms are a definite improvement over the previous model.

Volant said:
I guess this would be my (an artist :p) rendition of the characters, and in a slightly more realistic style than Pixel did. The chibi-ish style with large heads and short bodies has from my experience been hard to both draw and make in 3D... My mind doesn't like it. :p
I don't like it either (I've never really been a fan of "Chibi style"). I'd like you keep doing the models as you've previously done them. But that said, a more animé (I dislike the word cartoon, its cheap and western :D ) style would suit them more.

Other than that, I don't have much else to say. You've already covered most of the points that need working on. I hope to see more from you soon. :D

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:20 PM
Good to hear. :D

I think I'm going to try making something like a mimiga or Balrog later tonight. Perhaps some of the environment... Any wishes? That will probably be one of the hardest challenges for me, since I need to make textures.

jcys810 said:
Oh well, her eyes look pretty big. Only thing I can spot other than boobs.
Females usually have larger eyes, so I tried changing them a bit. Needs some tweaking though. And I "fixed" her boobs now. I think. I'll let you decide a little later.

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:31 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Damn. Not bad. :D

Quote: His picture's gone man. :p

Curly: My biggest gripe with her is her hair. It looks like it's made of large solid clumps of plastic almost entirely because of the material it's made of. Perhaps a tad too much specularity. (Unless that was the intended effect; she is a robot after all.) Also, I'm aware that her eyes were that size in her portrait, but it doesn't seem to make the transition to 3D very well; she looks like some weird alien. :D

Overall, you do some crazy work man. There are very few visible polygons (I can only spot one "jaggie" in a curve) and the model is very well-detailled considering Curly's sprite just 16x16. :p

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:41 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Curly's clothes are the wrong colour.

Aug 3, 2008 at 6:01 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
syrsly.. whats wrong with the fucking Faces....SYRSLY-...

Aug 3, 2008 at 6:02 PM
RuneLancer said:
Damn. Not bad. :D

Quote: His picture's gone man. :p

Curly: My biggest gripe with her is her hair. It looks like it's made of large solid clumps of plastic almost entirely because of the material it's made of. Perhaps a tad too much specularity. (Unless that was the intended effect; she is a robot after all.) Also, I'm aware that her eyes were that size in her portrait, but it doesn't seem to make the transition to 3D very well; she looks like some weird alien. :D

Overall, you do some crazy work man. There are very few visible polygons (I can only spot one "jaggie" in a curve) and the model is very well-detailled considering Curly's sprite just 16x16. :p
Quote picture fixed.

And Curly's hair... Yeah. I don't like that it's made out of tubes, but I'm lazy, and it's a quick and easy way to make ok hair for this kind of style. It worked with Quote, but not as well with Curly. I'll try tweaking the shader a bit, as you say.

I'll also look at her eyes.

Celtic Minstrel said:
Curly's clothes are the wrong colour.
Dang. Man, it's been too long since I played the game, it seems. Need to look her up.

Aug 3, 2008 at 9:51 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I hope I'll get as far as animating them, yeah. Although it probably won't be anything advanced... I haven't done much animation yet, so that will be the hardest, but definitely the peak of the project.
I've not used Blender much, and I've little experience either way, but I find animating to be far easier than modelling.
... then again, I'm just weird.

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:02 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Quote's scarf just doesn't feel right, and Curly's face looks like that hobbit girl from LotR, but I generally like your work. Oh, and Quote's cap says "Curly*Brace".

BTW: Aren't you, by any chance, from around Czech Republic? I'm sorry, but I just couldn't not ask...

Aug 4, 2008 at 1:36 AM
Garbeld said:
I've not used Blender much, and I've little experience either way, but I find animating to be far easier than modelling.
... then again, I'm just weird.
People are different, I suppose. I like animating, but I've done it far less than I have been modeling. And I'm not even good at doing just that. Animating is a step up for me.

T-Jack said:
Quote's scarf just doesn't feel right, and Curly's face looks like that hobbit girl from LotR, but I generally like your work. Oh, and Quote's cap says "Curly*Brace".

BTW: Aren't you, by any chance, from around Czech Republic? I'm sorry, but I just couldn't not ask...
Not from the Czech Republic, no. I'm from Norway.