Cave Story 3D in the eShop

Oct 15, 2015 at 6:30 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Does anyone know if it's planned to release this game in the eShop eventually? It's not avaible in the european eShop and it doesn't seem to be in the US one either. The physical copies are unfortunately very rare and expensive to buy, so I'm asking if there's any known chance of buying this game in the eShop.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:05 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Hm, I dunno. Also I wonder why the game has been only produced in such small amounts when it seems to have sellled just well. May the ebay/amazon scouting for a copy at a reasonable price continue.

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:19 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Hm, I dunno. Also I wonder why the game has been only produced in such small amounts when it seems to have sellled just well. May the ebay/amazon scouting for a copy at a reasonable price continue.
If you are going to do that, make sure the game is from the same 'region' (PAL/NSTC/JP) as your 3DS, or else you won't be able to play it due to the 3DS's region lock.

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:25 PM
Thanks for the info, almost forgot the region lock.

Oct 16, 2015 at 3:53 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
If you are going to do that, make sure the game is from the same 'region' (PAL/NSTC/JP) as your 3DS, or else you won't be able to play it due to the 3DS's region lock.
Untrue! Regionfour homebrew bypasses region lock

Oct 16, 2015 at 5:15 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Untrue! Regionfour homebrew bypasses region lock
I won't recommend using that though, Nintendo could always patch 3DS homebrew, leaving you with a unplayable game.

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:06 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I won't recommend using that though, Nintendo could always patch 3DS homebrew, leaving you with a unplayable game.
Nintendo can't force a system update unless you have to get something from eShop. As long as the 3DS isn't updated, they can't do anything about it.

It clearly has its downsides, and if you don't care about other homebrew, not many upsides; I'm just presenting it as a niche option

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:13 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Cave Story 3D isn't worth anyone's time, honestly. I used to own a copy, I sold it along with my first 3DS before I knew they were rare, but I don't really regret it. Cave Story 3D is a mess, and if you are an experienced gamer you will find serveral glitches in it by yourself.

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:15 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Nintendo can't force a system update unless you have to get something from eShop
True, but if one game gets an update, and that game can be played online, you need to update that game if you want to play that game again.
EDIT:Smash kinda forces you to update too.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2015 at 6:38 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Nintendo can't force a system update unless you have to get something from eShop.
You have to update your system to play new games last I checked.

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:54 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You have to update your system to play new games last I checked.
Regionfour bypasses that too
True, but if one game gets an update, and that game can be played online, you need to update that game if you want to play that game again.
You need to go to eShop to download updates, hence my word choice

lol sorry for making this a homebrew discussion

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2015 at 7:06 AM
I'll give it a try nevertheless. Game-breaking bugs are usually documented and avoidable + I really like the graphics, soundtrack and art style of the remake. I'm really open minded and not an original-elitist. :D

Oct 16, 2015 at 7:38 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Game-breaking bugs are usually documented and avoidable
And sometimes fun to perform(like in the LoZ games).

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:56 AM
And sometimes fun to perform(like in the LoZ games).
Or Missingno and the broken Safari world in Pokemon Red and Blue. :mrgreen:

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:39 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Or Missingno and the broken Safari world in Pokemon Red and Blue. :mrgreen:
Or fighting the true final boss Professor Oak with his team of Lvl.111 Pokemon, including MissingNO and ゥ$ (F0) also in Pokemon Red and Blue

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:37 AM
Or fighting the true final boss Professor Oak with his team of Lvl.111 Pokemon, including MissingNO and ゥ$ (F0) also in Pokemon Red and Blue
Haha yeah. Pretty cool but I never did it though. :)

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:58 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Honestly, I just wanted to put out there, that in America Cave Story 3D was released before Japan got their Cave Story 3D, So maybe Nicalis doesn't feel the need to re-release Cave Story 3D in America because the sales might have been higher than Japan's Cave Story 3D; Or it's the other way around, so Nicalis put Cave Story 3D on the eshop, so they can make even more money. So, Nicalis doesn't want to risk having Cave Story 3D flop again by putting the game on America's eshop.

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:34 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well it seems that Cave Story 3D is available on the Australian eShop.

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:42 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Well it seems that Cave Story 3D is available on the Australian eShop.
Really? Since when?
I'll check the European eShop this afternoon, since Europe and Australia usually share certain release dates anyway.