• Most people probably don't realise this, but this forum has had two editors for a number of years. One is the xenForo default editor, and the other is a custom editor I made years back I called BBCEd.

    All the settings for which editor you use was lost during the upgrade. You can find the setting under Account Settings > Preferences > Editor.

Cave Johnson Story

Old topic!
The last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.
Jun 19, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Junior Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Join Date: Jun 19, 2013
Location:
Posts: 11
#1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOTdqZKrBZ8
Cave Johnson Story Screenshot 1.jpg Intro Cutscene
Cave Johnson Story Screenshot 2.jpg I'M GONNA BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN (with the Lemons)!
Cave Johnson Story Screenshot 3.jpg Cave with the .357 Magnum

A mod I'm currently developing: Cave Johnson Story!

More will be shown in my later videos on the tube and on this thread as development progresses. If anyone is interested in helping me make this, just send me a message or comment on this thread saying so. I am looking for people who have experience modding Cave Story and also people who are good at making maps in Cave Editor and/or good storywriters.

The story so far: In late 1943, Cave Johnson, founder and president of Aperture Fixtures, discovered a large isolated salt mine in Upper Michigan. He thinks it would be a perfect headquarters for Aperture Fixtures, but first he must find the landowner and clear the salt mine from the evils inside...

Yeah, the story is still in development. Basically you play as Cave Johnson as you explore and clear out the salt mine. I want to try to keep the story true to the Portal 2 timeline, which means there won't be any Portal Guns or really advanced technology. There will be slaves in the salt mine (they're replacing the Mimigas), and that's where Cave meets Caroline. I have many more ideas for the story, but I don't really want to spoil it to the masses ;)

Here's the list of things I have so far:

Characters:
Cave Johnson
Caroline

Confirmed Weapons:
.357 Magnum (Polar Star)
The Thompson (Machine Gun)
Combustible Lemon Launcher (Fireball, but with Lemons inside the flames)
Pickaxe (Blade)

Thanks for reading! :)
 

Attachments

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Join Date: Jan 24, 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1366
Age: 23
#2
I will gladly help with any scripting that needs to be done. Just contact me when you need some help.
 
Jun 19, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Junior Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Join Date: Jun 19, 2013
Location:
Posts: 11
#3
Tpcool said:
I will gladly help with any scripting that needs to be done. Just contact me when you need some help.
Thank you! I will contact you later for more info.

Tpcool said:
I will gladly help with any scripting that needs to be done. Just contact me when you need some help.
I can't figure out how to send a personal message. How can I send a personal message to you?
 
Jun 19, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Join Date: Jan 24, 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1366
Age: 23
#4
There should be a button that says "Send me a message" next to the "Add me as a friend" button.
 
Jun 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Junior Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Join Date: Jun 19, 2013
Location:
Posts: 11
#5
Tpcool said:
There should be a button that says "Send me a message" next to the "Add me as a friend" button.
Nope, I don't see it next to the friend button
 
Jun 19, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Join Date: Jan 24, 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1366
Age: 23
#6
Ah... I believe you need a certain amount of posts to PM. Do you have a Skype?
 
Jun 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Senior Member
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Join Date: Jun 13, 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 81
Age: 27
#7
This sounds interesting! I hope to see a demo soon!
 
Jun 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Junior Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Join Date: Jun 19, 2013
Location:
Posts: 11
#8
Tpcool said:
Ah... I believe you need a certain amount of posts to PM. Do you have a Skype?
Yes I do. My username is neogeokid. Should have a pokemon called Typhlosion as an avatar
 
Jun 19, 2013 at 10:51 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Join Date: May 21, 2012
Location: Location Location. Thats my motto.
Posts: 304
Age: 22
#9
I swear, I have this weird sense of deja vu, as I think there was a mod thread exactly like this one :I
 
Jun 19, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Junior Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Join Date: Jun 19, 2013
Location:
Posts: 11
#10
Ultimate Nerd-meister said:
I swear, I have this weird sense of deja vu, as I think there was a mod thread exactly like this one :I
There might have been, but I have not seen any come into fruition.
 
Jun 19, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Okay I give up... for now
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Join Date: Dec 31, 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 1774
Age: 22
#11
Jun 20, 2013 at 1:32 AM
going down
"Keep on rollin'!"
Join Date: May 14, 2012
Location: what year is it
Posts: 400
Age: 19
#13
Science isn't about "why".
It's about "WHY NOT".

Anyway, this sounds awesome. But doesn't LOOK awesome. We don't really have any information on what you're doing with this currently. Protips: screenshots, a video that isn't just... THAT. And have you really started on the mod itself yet? We want to know if this is getting hard work shoved down it's throat. I will be happy to play (and critisize) this when it gets a demo, but telling a story and asking for help with no real development or screenshots, I'm questioning this a bit. Sorry if I seem like a dick, I'm just wondering how this is going and I'm into this kind of stuff. The idea is great, though.
 
Jun 20, 2013 at 1:40 AM
Junior Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Join Date: Jun 19, 2013
Location:
Posts: 11
#14
CookedChef said:
Science isn't about "why".
It's about "WHY NOT".

Anyway, this sounds awesome. But doesn't LOOK awesome. We don't really have any information on what you're doing with this currently. Protips: screenshots, a video that isn't just... THAT. And have you really started on the mod itself yet? We want to know if this is getting hard work shoved down it's throat. I will be happy to play (and critisize) this when it gets a demo, but telling a story and asking for help with no real development or screenshots, I'm questioning this a bit. Sorry if I seem like a dick, I'm just wondering how this is going and I'm into this kind of stuff. The idea is great, though.
The only reason why I don't have a video of it is that I don't have any video recording software on my PC. I could take screenshots though...

Yes I started this mod over a month ago, and there is some stuff that is finished. For one, I made that title myself. Cave Johnson's sprite is fully implemented in the game, and I've been working on the intro scene this whole day. Hard work is getting shoved down it's throat. It just takes time.

Also, this is the mod idea and development section, for mods that don't have a demo or video. Apology accepted, but don't question the development just cause I don't have more to show you.
 
Jun 20, 2013 at 2:19 AM
going down
"Keep on rollin'!"
Join Date: May 14, 2012
Location: what year is it
Posts: 400
Age: 19
#15
neogeokid said:
The only reason why I don't have a video of it is that I don't have any video recording software on my PC. I could take screenshots though...

Yes I started this mod over a month ago, and there is some stuff that is finished. Cave Johnson's sprite is fully implemented in the game, and I've been working on the intro scene this whole day. Hard work is getting shoved down it's throat. It just takes time.
That's great! I shall be awaiting it's arival, so I can destro- I mean review it. C:
I'm a Portal nut, so this caught my intrest in about 2.755418363826405 seconds.
 
Jun 20, 2013 at 2:23 AM
Junior Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Join Date: Jun 19, 2013
Location:
Posts: 11
#16
CookedChef said:
That's great! I shall be awaiting it's arival, so I can destro- I mean review it. C:
I'm a Portal nut, so this caught my intrest in about 2.755418363826405 seconds.
Oh nice, I was hoping to get the Portal fans attention here C:

So yeah, I'll be working on this all summer. And for you, a screenshot just got posted in the original post. Enjoy!
 
Jun 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Aug 20, 2006
Location:
Posts: 2788
Age: 29
#17
The eyes kinda don't look like eyes at the moment, so I fiddled around with them a bit based on what I could do with the jay-peg (original on the left):

See if you like any of these better, or if they give you any ideas about how to make him look less like a Cylon Johnson :toroko2:
 
Jun 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Jan 13, 2011
Location: Lasagna
Posts: 4494
#18
In my opinion the one on the far right looks the most natural.
 
Jun 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Junior Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Join Date: Jun 19, 2013
Location:
Posts: 11
#19
DoubleThink said:
The eyes kinda don't look like eyes at the moment, so I fiddled around with them a bit based on what I could do with the jay-peg (original on the left):

See if you like any of these better, or if they give you any ideas about how to make him look less like a Cylon Johnson :toroko2:
While creating Cave, I wasn't really sure what eyes to use. But I do have to agree, the one's on the far right look so much better. I'll edit it again and see how it looks. Thanks for your input!

Okay now I'm torn. I can't decide between the second one or the last one....what do you all think?
 
Jun 22, 2013 at 1:25 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Jan 13, 2011
Location: Lasagna
Posts: 4494
#20
Last one. The second one's eyes are more disproportionate.
 
Top