Boss Fight Bug Fix

Jun 28, 2006 at 12:53 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
This has been resolved back in Import Own Orgs And Maybe Sue's Workshop Boss Error Fix!!!.

Here's this fix:

While parsing through the map data in the exe I noticed an odd byte just before the map caption. It's always 0-9 and seems to coorespond to certain Boss fights!

As a test I removed the 8 from in front of the "Passage?" map (address 0x097abc) where the Heavy Press falls through the floor. Then I played through the boss fight above to find NO Heavy Press afterwards falling through the Passage? map.

Here's a list of which bosses these values seem to go with:
0 - no special boss
1 - Sand Zone Boss
2 - Balrog Frog
3 - Weapon X (also in Jenka's house during credits 'e_Jenk')
4 - Core
5 - Fish Boss
6 - Dragon Sisters
7 - Undead Core
8 - Heavy Press (also in Passage? 'Hell42')
9 - Ballos (also in Balrog escape from Ballos and Misery standing on balcony in credits)

This is what I found and upthorn tested and verified it.

Jun 29, 2006 at 10:43 PM
"Huzzah!"
but why does the glitch change that byte to 0 on all maps when you add a new map with sue's workshop?

Jun 30, 2006 at 12:04 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
caveoholic! said:
but why does the glitch change that byte to 0 on all maps when you add a new map with sue's workshop?
Because when sue's workshop changes map data, it copies all the map data to the end of the exe.
The guy who programmed it must have figured that one byte right there before the map title was a spacer (always 0), and not bothered to copy it.