Booster's Lab - It's Pretty Good Now

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:45 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I would suggest if you're using CS deluxe then you should set the destination to a folder in your documents folder or something. You could also cut/paste it out of the program files.

And yeah how about the subscription email function actually work properly ):<

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:46 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
OK, I'll try that then. I don't do this kind of stuff a lot, so I'm not very good at it. sorry

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:52 AM
Professional Whatever
Practice makes perfect, don't get discouraged. I didn't know a bit of modding when I first showed up here.

And goddammit subscription function WORK

Apr 23, 2012 at 1:51 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
decided to start using this, after i figured out how to open maps in the editor i wound up with this
p146477-0-2u75b8g.png

i don't know if the sprites are supposed to do that but i'm pretty sure they're not
running at 2x because 1x is tiny
the tileset picking thing is also only showing the tiles that appear before i scroll or scale the window, the rest are gray and i have to guess what tile they are

these were probably already reported but there's no "known issues" thing, so

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:05 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
disclaimer: You probably shouldn't really try to use this to actually make something yet because it's pre-alpha, suggesting it isn't even fully functional at the moment really

The tiny sprites have been fixed in dev (just forgot to scale something) but I was not aware of the tileset having that problem. Can you show me what it looks like? And is this happening to other people?

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:03 AM
here's an image, using core tileset because i think it's easy to see what's going on in that one
p146479-0-xpalnp.png

i expanded the tileset to make the gray stuff going on more obvious
what i did was select a bunch of the tiles from the gray, showing that i can still use the tiles, but they don't show up in the tile selector
don't know if it changes anything, but i'm running it through a .bat file because running the jar directly didn't let me open maps

trying to make something with this is probably stupid but, hey, i wouldn't have found this out if i didn't try

May 1, 2012 at 5:11 PM
So my machine is both a dinosaur (6 years old or so) and a mac. It seems like the most current version of Java that I can run is Java 5 (ack!) My guess is BL needs SE 6 or 7? That would explain why I can't get it to work.

May 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Yeah, I have been using Java 1.6 to develop this. I might be able to port it down to compatibility with 5, but I dunno how much work that'd be. 4 or earlier is probably just not feasible.

6 is the version whose quirks I am most familiar with though so until it's stable that is going to be the minimum version requirement I'm afraid.

also I haven't really put much effort into reading mac mapdata because I dont' know how macs work

May 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM
That's totally understandable. Just yesterday I finally got around to running CE under Wineskin and that was exciting (Noxid, your tutorial videos are handy, by the way) even though I couldn't get Wineskin to run the edited Doukutsu app, but I still hadn't gotten BL to work. I just did some digging around about Java and was sad to find that my version is horribly out of date since my computer is old.

While the backwards compatibility would be nice for folks like me, it's probably much more important to move forward in the development process rather than figure out how to accommodate us people who really need to upgrade/get a new machine anyway. And making Booster's Lab backward compatible would probably also reduce its capabilities, no?

I'd love to learn how macs work since I use one. If I ever do, I'll let you know; I'd be happy to help make the CS world more accessible to mac people (like what Andwhy has done with mods). I'd love to learn how PCs work, too, since I use those a bit, also. Can you tell I'm not the most programming savvy person out there? [/rabbittrail]

May 2, 2012 at 4:23 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Backwards compatibility for 1.5 at least probably wouldn't reduce the potential amount of things I could do - it would basically just be a larger time investment to make progress in one direction. Heck, I am planning on mac compatibility for 1.6 and that's going to probably take some work to remedy my windows-centric programming practices.

Anyway, new version. Changes and link going into OP as soon as I remember what they are.

May 3, 2012 at 7:01 PM
When do you think you'll add entities? Just wondering...

May 3, 2012 at 8:17 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Judging the version number the editor is only approximately 4% done? Or version numbers are given more deliberately?

May 3, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Judging the version number the editor is only approximately 4% done? Or version numbers are given more deliberately?

*faceplam*

Why don't I ever read the version numbers... I feel like an idiot yet again @_@

May 3, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Oh, the comment wasn't directed at you m8, I was just joking with Noxid (sort of, maybe it's really 4% done :p )

May 3, 2012 at 9:51 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
4% sounds about right.

but no, for serious Entities are my #1 priority in getting functional right now after which I'll focus on improving cross-platform functionality, then stability, then additional features.
Of course not to say I won't do any of those things out of order or invent new things to do along the way but at least that will be my "goal".
Also, the way I currently do version numbers is like this:
first number indicates major release. The only way this gets changed is if I pull a program out of beta / begin a rewrite of the entire thing.
Second number indicates version. New versions indicate new features or capability. I'll only increment this after 1.0 though.
Third number indicates minor changes, like improvements to existing features or other enhancements. In early development though it just gets updated whenever I finish a part and upload it.
Fourth number indicates how many times I've had to reupload it to fix some stupid bug that I should have got during testing and takes more effort to publish than it does to fix.

May 31, 2012 at 12:50 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
We all know that if you switch between sues and CE that your hack will corrupt, your PC will be formatted and your soul will be consumate by satan given flesh.

Oh god.

PREPARE FOR THE OFF-TOPICNESS

Wait...
Miles_Valentine... Have I seen you playing on a minecraft server before?
Or am I Drunk? (I am probably and most likely drunk.)

BACK ON-TOPIC

Booster, Where's my CS+?

May 31, 2012 at 1:07 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\cave story+\data

May 31, 2012 at 1:45 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
May 31, 2012 at 3:47 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
You open stage.tbl. Doesn't it say that in the OP?