Booster's Lab - It's Pretty Good Now

Jan 18, 2012 at 4:58 PM
"Huzzah!"
Sounds awesome Noxid. Cave editor is really good to use, but it's quirks do take some getting used to and it has it's "moments".

The words on my lips though are backwards compatibility. We all know that if you switch between sues and CE that your hack will corrupt, your PC will be formatted and your soul will be consumate by satan given flesh. So yeah i'd really hope that you can transfer a build from sues or CE to this without the mess. Though i'm sure that goes without sayign seeing as you've been using one of thsoe programs with Kings.

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:31 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Why is polish messed up on IPBoard :[
Checkerboarded between two saturations of the same color, and we get to choose the color.

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:28 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Why is polish messed up on IPBoard :[
Checkerboarded between two saturations of the same color, and we get to choose the color.
Huh? Polish looks fine to me...
Sounds awesome Noxid. Cave editor is really good to use, but it's quirks do take some getting used to and it has it's "moments".

The words on my lips though are backwards compatibility. We all know that if you switch between sues and CE that your hack will corrupt, your PC will be formatted and your soul will be consumate by satan given flesh. So yeah i'd really hope that you can transfer a build from sues or CE to this without the mess. Though i'm sure that goes without sayign seeing as you've been using one of thsoe programs with Kings.
Of course, of course. I have to deal with the benefit of knowing about all the issues nontransferability can cause, so I'll do my best to preserve a mod's integrity at all times, no matter the background.

p146416-0-entitiesdisplay.png

5 bucks to whoever finishes this list

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:39 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I'd finish it but the list looks like it doesn't belong to Cave Story.

...Bee Boss?

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:41 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
It was for my mod, but why waste a perfectly good half-finished resource?

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
This is going to be amazing.
Cross-platform CS editor? Yes please. :D

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:35 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
btw I'm still working on this

p146420-0-ubsii.png

The tile type changer has been implemented as a popup window; changes made to tile types are applied instantly. This has caused me to realize I may need a central store for pxa information because right now they're tied per-map so changes to one map don't immediately affect another. I have some architecture setup already for decentralized image resources so I can probably just expand on that.
Loading a map with the thingy will seek for any instances of that map already open, and select that tab if it exists. Otherwise, the newly opened tab becomes the selected tab unlike before.
hovering over a tab name (the short name of a map) will give a tooltip that says the long name of the map.
Merged CE's and my own entity information file and added the ability to display entity's shortname in the box. Names won't display if the scale is too small for it to be readable. Framerects still need to be manually inputted into the list for many entities.
Seperated draw options for entity box, name and sprite.
Refractored a bunch of code because I'm a terrible programmer

and an infinity of more things to do..

e: Okay the tileset background now has a colour chooser AND does that square thingy. Such extravagant luxuries...

p146420-1-eovqb.png

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:38 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Since a number of tile types look the same and it is hard to remember the behaviour of each type then it may be best to give each type a name. Then when hovering over a tile type in the tile type window it would either bring up a tooltip with the tile type name or have a panel at the bottom of the tile type window that shows the name of the tile type you are hovering over. It's something I always felt was missing from CE.

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:32 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
So something like this?

p146422-0-olfqz.png

Screenshots don't show the mouse but I swear it was pointing at tile 44

Also... I have now implemented shift-drag scrolling.

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jan 29, 2012 at 7:22 PM
Professional Whatever
This sounds like the best thing I ever saw.
Two things:
- is it possible to close maps without closing the entire editor?
- You can open the same map more than once at a time.

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:26 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
This sounds like the best thing I ever saw.
Two things:
- is it possible to close maps without closing the entire editor?
- You can open the same map more than once at a time.
Loading a map with the thingy will seek for any instances of that map already open, and select that tab if it exists. Otherwise, the newly opened tab becomes the selected tab unlike before.

And for closing yeah I need to add a button or something to do that still...

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:29 PM
Professional Whatever
p146426-0-yzjx9.png

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:51 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I haven't updated it with the new file yet!

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Professional Whatever
Well, that would explain it.
Carry on >.>

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:12 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Update. Key points:
Map editor is neeeaaarrly finished. Or at least, it nearly does everything CE does.
You can save. Please be careful.
It will open CS+ mods.
It has a bit of a memory issue if you open oodles of large maps (especially in 2x mode). It should give a nice little popup in most cases reminding you to not open so many tabs.
Shift-dragging the map can may allow you to move it. Give it a try!

Please give me your feedbacks

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:54 AM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Okay, so. It's great! It loads games, it edits maps, it saves. Cool.
But there are some (minor) issues:
- the map list window's width isn't editable
- the grid isn't always one pixel large (it varies with the zoom of the map). This means the map is partially covered by it. This isn't really big, and I don't even use the grid to begin with, but maybe some people will find it inconvenient. Btw we can also say this about the entity squares.
- the "File / View" bar + the menu + the map tabs + the tileset and preview = a lot of space is taken and there's not much space left for editing. CE managed to get rid of that perfectly by opening separate windows. Since you don't want to do the same, I guess you should put the menu and/or the tileset at the side of the window instead of the top. You could also try to put the tileset and the preview at the top right of the screen and make it overlap with the map.
- I found this: http://i.snag.gy/UF7o6.jpg I bet it's not supposed to happen.
- when we want to edit entities (yes it isn't implemented yet but still), if we have edited the map itself beforehand, we have to click on the map in order to refresh it.
- no highlighting in the script but I guess it's because it hasn't been added yet.
- how do I close a map tab
- the previous statement was a joke, but, seriously, find something easier than file -> close tab or ctrl+W.
- some of the entities are glitched. The terminal in the MazeI, for example. Maybe it's because they don't use the right spritesets...?
There must be more but that will do for now.

Now for some suggestions!
- Maybe you could allow the user to bind some tiles (or groups of tiles) to keys by selecting a tile or a group of tiles, moving the mouse over the preview (or the tileset, dunno) and pressing a key (1, 2, 3... or Q, W, E...), and when the user presses the said key it instantly switches to the corresponding tile (or group of tiles), or something like that! It would be way easier in my opinion, because of the recurring tiles we always use (blank tile, block tile, water tile...).
- using shift+left click to move the map it really neat, but I kinda prefer using the central click.

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Can you have some sort of indicator for per map errors and warnings in mapdata? For instance if the referred to pxa/pxm/pxe/pbm files are missing or invalid (full error in place of map, but allow to edit mapdata and script), the referred to tsc file is missing or invalid (full error in place of script, but allow to edit mapdata and map), the case of the referred file and its mapdata entry do not match (load map with unobstructive warning), the pbm loaded has a bit depth greater than 8 (load map with unobstructive warning), or the map number is greater than 94 (load map with unobstructive warning). Oh, and listing the resource in the error would help. Plus an indicator in the map list would be good. Maybe black text for no issues, blue for warnings, and red for errors.

The warnings in the above would help with conversion efforts, with case-sensitivity being present in PSP and Linux, and 24-bit pbm compatibility not present in most ports, and maps higher than 94 cannot be ported. The full errors I listed would help debug any map-related issues.

Feb 5, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
How do you load a CS+ mod? If I load the game directly, then the map names are just random characters.