Booster, Scooter, Rocket Fuel

What fuel do Cave Story transport machines use?

• Total voters
Nov 24, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
The Booster, Scooter, and Rocket all have the green trails of propulsion bubbles.
What fuel do they use?

Is it:
  • Gasoline, or some crude oil variant.
  • Hydrogen
  • Methane
  • Pure Electricity (the exhaust is just superheated atmospheric gas)
  • Kerosene
  • Biofuel
  • Nuclear Fuels
  • Steam
  • Water
  • Sodium
  • Potassium
  • Other

Nov 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Other: they run on jelly juice...
Also, you should make this into a poll.

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:31 PM
Not anymore
This topic is now a poll.

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Perhaps the island has some kind of self sustaining power source. Which everything on the island taps into...
Ancient Core Base, teleporters scattered throughout the island, computers, moving vast amounts of water...
Perhaps the Core Base has more areas to it than shown... Supposebly the Core was essential for levitating the island (according to Booster), don't think that powered the computers, teleporters etc though... [But, to be fair we didn't get to see what state they were in, during the island's fall... Perhaps that's how Curly ended up there... Started using the teleporter, and then the power went off and BAM she appears somewhere randomly... >< Probably not but... lol]
EDIT : OH I saw Transport machines... and thought...
one sec...

I really have no idea, missiles might be different than the booster. Since you have to pick up materials [or are they really fully formed missiles!?] for them.
Booster... uh... hmmm... Must run off whatever power source keeps Quote alive?

Well, actually. That might not be true, as Booster was developing it for personal use... So...?
......... No clue.

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:20 AM
Not anymore
Missiles have the same exhaust as the booster, the scooter, and Momorin / Itoh's rocket.

Missiles are indeed fully formed when you pick them up and fire them.
It's similar to how Iji does not need to generate ammo... unlike the Tasen and Komato.

diph.php

Miss Anomaly, please wait here while we Tasen Elites generate some more devastator ammo.

diph.php

Generate this, bozos!

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:33 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Note that for the booster to recharge, it needs only to land on the ground. This immediately rules out fuels such as gasoline or jellyfish juice, which are non-renewable and would thus require more than just landing to refuel.

Of what's left, nuclear, antimatter, or electrical power wouldn't need to land on the ground to recharge (unless the cooling system needed earth to reset or something). This implies that the booster is fueled either by:
- A renewable fuel, drawn from the air, which requires dedicated action (e.g. not flying) to be converted into something usable by the engines.
- A renewable fuel, drawn from the ground, which is all pervasive in cs-land. This seems more likely to me, but note that it couldn't be sodium/potassium/any alkaline because booster recharges on underwater ground, too.

SO: Hydrogen, Water, or Other.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
As I've said before there are a number of differences between the physics of cave story's world and our own. Magic being one of them. Who says that magic and what we deem as science are mutually exclusive in cave story? The differences that magic brings to the table would create a different avenue for technological advancement. Since the technology is clearly more advanced and the part of the physics in this world is beyond our understanding we cannot come close to understanding how it works.

tl;dr: Other.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:38 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Due to the Core, Ballos, and the Demon Crown, the island has a high "magical radiation" level. Every electronic item on the island has a device that condenses this "radiation" into electrical energy.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:48 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

minerguy if your theory goes anymore south you are going to hit mexico.

That theory can easily be proven wrong. If it did have a "magical radiation" many teleporters in the game would work.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:30 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
The teleporters could simply be broken. Or someone turned them off. Besides Mexico isn't all that south, its capital is only 19*03' N

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:24 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
That theory can easily be proven wrong. If it did have a "magical radiation" many teleporters in the game would work.
Why? If magical radiation is used to generate electicity (which is narrow-minded in itself) then that certainly wouldn't prevent hardware failure. And even if this magical radiation served a greater purpose in the machine it is still made to perform a specific task (or specific tasks), and is still dependent on the hardware to perform those tasks, else there wouldn't be hardware built in the first place. I fail to see the point you are making.

Due to the Core, Ballos, and the Demon Crown, the island has a high "magical radiation" level. Every electronic item on the island has a device that condenses this "radiation" into electrical energy.
I'm pretty sure that most of the technology is surface-based. In the Japanese original the computer terminals were in English, a language that according to Sue isn't used by the island's residents. It is safe to assume that the technology is Human in origin seeing as Gaudi and Mimiga do not strike me as all that technologically advanced. Human technology is built for Humans, and Human's are primarily surface-based. Why anyone would bother creating a weapon that only works on a small patch of earth in the sky away from all civilisation is beyond me.