BLink's Money Hack

Apr 6, 2018 at 10:29 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Here's my money hack I've been working on an off on for the past while.

This is the final iteration of it (hopefully) And it's fully compatible with most all mods.

Features:
Coins can be the same as the EXP shards or separate entities!
Full TSC support for buying and selling items.
Saves money to Profile.dat
Uses Unused weapon data slots to save money to profile.dat for full compatibility with VAR/anything else.
Non-intrusive and doesn't mess up other mods (well it does take up the second FAC but you can easily move it if you have other hacks since it's in DouA format)
Change Enemy drop rates! (for all drops, not just money!)
Works properly with <ZAM!
Makes your mod for you!

Wait a second Didn't Carrotlord make one of these a long time ago?
Well yes and no, it was a tiny hex patch and a broken TSC command that didn't work that let you buy items.
Also it had to when you grabbed an EXP shard it always gave you 1 money instead of 5 or 20 when you grabbed a bigger shard. Also there was no HUD elements so you couldn't see how much money you had, and no way to sell items. It didn't save to profile, and on top of it the EXP shard was bound to the money instead of it being a separate element)

Download Here!

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 11:53 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Man this is awesome! I've been waiting for this for quite some time and it's great to see it was never dropped; sorry if it's off topic, is Sue's Story next on the agenda or is it still in the air?
And also just curious, how did money save for Carrot lord's hack if it didn't use the profile data?

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:12 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
is Sue's Story next on the agenda or is it still in the air?
And also just curious, how did money save for Carrot lord's hack if it didn't use the profile data?

#1 ehhhhhh It will get done... eventually.... I've reworked some areas, and have things planned out, but I want to go and fix older things, mostly dialogue and errors in story progression.

#2 It didn't. It was a half-ass Proof of Concept at best lol.

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:39 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This sounds amazing! But, uh, what do I actually do with all of those .txt files...? I'm fairly new at Cave Story hacking and know nothing about ASM...

...oh, and sorry for the bump.

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:46 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
You need a copy of the Doukutsu Assembler. (as most large asm hacks are written in it anymore)

Here's my copy that has some edited defines.txt. It doesn't really if you use this or Noxid's standard ones but yeah, hitting assemble on this should just work.

I also made a tutorial on how to apply patches a while ago

Oct 12, 2018 at 3:29 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You need a copy of the Doukutsu Assembler. (as most large asm hacks are written in it anymore)

Here's my copy that has some edited defines.txt. It doesn't really if you use this or Noxid's standard ones but yeah, hitting assemble on this should just work.

I also made a tutorial on how to apply patches a while ago

Oh, thanks! Just what I needed.

Oct 13, 2018 at 3:06 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Alright, so I tried using the Doukutsu Assembler and loading all of the .txt files in, but when I opened the game, the only difference was an extra '9999' under my exp and an beeping noise that kept playing super fast endlessly. Did I need to assemble them in a specific order? I did notice that 'hex files.txt' couldn't be assembled...

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:15 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Did you use the "Coin is seperate Entity" or "EXP is coin"?

The beep noise is prolly a debugging thing I left to check if a certain line of code was running or not, and I was to lazy to use breakpoints.

Hex files have to be assembled either manually in olydbg or you can copy/paste them in to Booster's Lab's hex patcher. I forgot I had a few of them that I didn't bother to convert to the assembler's format.

Oct 12, 2020 at 11:39 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Bumping this thread because this part here is a goddamn lie.
Uses Unused weapon data slots to save money to profile.dat for full compatibility with VAR/anything else.
As it turns out from a recent discovery of a bug found in TSC+ Improved, <VAR also happens to use the unused weapon data in RAM offsets [499bcc] and [499bd0], in order to be saved in memory, and using it in conjunction with the <BUY hack will break save profiles completely. So I'm making a version of this hack that works with <VAR implemented in it. I'll paste the modified hack in this post, or smth.

Also, <BUY my game.

EDIT: Here's a beta version of the fix. I dread rewriting the TSC+ Improved XML for this, so I'm just going to release this for now.
Download here! (Requires Doukutsu Assembler if you wish to use it!)
Code:
NOTES:
- This version contains <VAR, <VAO, <VAJ, <VAZ, <RND, <BUY, <SEL. You're more than free to add any more custom commands to your liking.
- <BUY and <SEL are now set to write memory into Variable 008 [49e0a0] instead of the unused weapon data [499c5c].
- Removed the tick counter effect because BLink sucks, and that part isn't even needed in the first place. If you really do wish to use that feature, then <VAR loops in TSC can recreate the effect just fine.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020 at 11:19 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I applied the Money Hack in Doukutsu Assembler but the game sits there on a black screen for a few seconds and crashes. how to fix?