• Most people probably don't realise this, but this forum has had two editors for a number of years. One is the xenForo default editor, and the other is a custom editor I made years back I called BBCEd.

    All the settings for which editor you use was lost during the upgrade. You can find the setting under Account Settings > Preferences > Editor.

Bless You, Rip

Old topic!
The last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.
Apr 19, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: May 28, 2008
Location: PMMM MMO
Posts: 3714
Age: 27
#1
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O6CCmFAWIs[/media]

Bless You, Rip is an action adventure game starring a rabbit boy named Rip, who must find his missing brother. Along with his friends, he sets off to explore unfamiliar parts of the city while fending off an invasion of strange creatures.

Screenshots:




You can download the demo here.

More about development:
Nighth and I have been working on this game for nearly a year now, and we finally have enough content to put together a demo.
It's being coded in java, and the music is made in psycle for the most part. Nighth uses SAI for drawing most of the background scenery.

I hope you enjoy the demo.
 
Apr 19, 2014 at 4:14 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Join Date: Aug 9, 2010
Location: Greener Pastures
Posts: 1187
Age: 25
#2
I played this demo and it was good.

'-')b
 
Apr 19, 2014 at 4:19 PM
Alfa
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Join Date: Jan 18, 2013
Location: Anevandos
Posts: 1113
Age: 20
#3
Oh, Rip! I think I've seen this on your Tumblr before. :3

It's nice that you've only made a thread here now that you have a demo ready. I'll try playing it whenever I can (read:a few years from now, probably) and tell you what I think, but I can already see that the art style is glorious. It's nighth, after all. -w-
 
Apr 19, 2014 at 7:11 PM
Professional-Idiot
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Join Date: Oct 20, 2013
Location: Planet X (Godzilla)
Posts: 563
#4
This is really polished, its a pretty good mod.
 
Apr 19, 2014 at 7:14 PM
bored to death
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Join Date: Oct 7, 2011
Location: elsewhere
Posts: 757
Age: 19
#5
ColdCallerloppy said:
This is really polished, its a pretty good mod.
This isn't a mod.

Also, I just played the demo and I absolutely LOVED it!
 
Apr 19, 2014 at 7:17 PM
Professional-Idiot
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Join Date: Oct 20, 2013
Location: Planet X (Godzilla)
Posts: 563
#6
Mod, demo same thing in my world; if it has content it considered a mod, like my demo/mod (you don't see me call my mod a demo do I?).
 
Apr 19, 2014 at 7:19 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: May 28, 2008
Location: PMMM MMO
Posts: 3714
Age: 27
#7
ColdCallerloppy said:
Mod, demo same thing in my world; if it has content it considered a mod, like my demo/mod (you don't see me call my mod a demo do I?).
This isn't a fucking Cave Story mod or fangame.
 
Apr 19, 2014 at 7:30 PM
The God of Development Heaven
Modding Community Discord Admin
"Deaths: 4000"
Join Date: Apr 23, 2013
Location: Development HEAVEN
Posts: 967
Age: 21
#8
ColdCallerloppy said:
Mod, demo same thing in my world; if it has content it considered a mod, like my demo/mod (you don't see me call my mod a demo do I?).
Dude, check out this new mod, you could even call it a demo if you feel like:

http://youtu.be/8hP9D6kZseM
 
Apr 19, 2014 at 8:18 PM
Senior Member
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Join Date: Aug 30, 2013
Location: ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Posts: 167
Age: 19
#9
Just finished it and it's great so far, and I especially love the music, but I found some things which might want to be looked into.
One, whenever the music changes it takes a few seconds for sounds and music to start playing. I know it happens whenever the music changes because of the boss fight, both while fighting the boss and after, the music and sounds took some time before playing.
Two, I can clip through the slide that's in the playground right onto the enemy below. If it's intentional, then that's... weird level design, but I don't think it is intentional. (Specifically, it's where the ramp and the sandbox connect that I clip through.)
 
Apr 19, 2014 at 8:22 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: May 28, 2008
Location: PMMM MMO
Posts: 3714
Age: 27
#10
Kayya said:
Just finished it and it's great so far, and I especially love the music, but I found some things which might want to be looked into.

One, whenever the music changes it takes a few seconds for sounds and music to start playing. I know it happens whenever the music changes because of the boss fight, both while fighting the boss and after, the music and sounds took some time before playing.
Two, I can clip through the slide that's in the playground right onto the enemy below. If it's intentional, then that's... weird level design, but I don't think it is intentional. (Specifically, it's where the ramp and the sandbox connect that I clip through.)
Thanks! And:
1) Yeah not sure what to do about the music loading slow. On my computer it only takes like half a second, so it is dependent on the user's system.
2) That's intentional so that you don't have to walk all the way to the left just to go to the right. It's not really "clipping through".
Aar said:
Also, I just played the demo and I absolutely LOVED it!
Thank you!
 
Apr 19, 2014 at 10:32 PM
gigantic immortal dog...?
"That dog!"
Join Date: Apr 18, 2006
Location: Forever wandering the tower...!
Posts: 1705
#12

I replayed; tried to unlock an alternate route by ignoring Risa as much as possible, attempted to not wreck the sand castle, and have Jay pick the lock... alas...
Review :
I wasn't sure if the game was going to run well enough to play on this PC, but after struggling for a bit; I wised up and ran the game with only default system processes and it ran well in windowed mode.

Windows 7, Home Premium 64-bit; 6 GB RAM; Pentium Dual-Core E5400 @ 2.70GHz; Intel G33/G31 Express (Chipset Display Adapter); Realtek High Definition Audio
Java Version 7 Update 55

It looked like task manager was showing that the CPU was the culprit. The game only used around 44% average CPU for the java process, but adding in system processes it somehow reached 74 to 90% when running smoothly.
Any higher and performance in the game begins to suffer as follows :
All sounds took a long time to load (up to 30 seconds) with each new song in this state. On the larger forest levels, the input cache also overloaded, resulting in glitch input : walking into things/swinging wildly at the air/parasite to the knee aka R.I.P.

But, as long as you keep CPU max around 90% there should be no issues.
Just thought you might be interested in system feedback.
.
.
.

With that out of the way!
The art was wonderful. Ever since I first saw the tutorial video on youtube, I've been anticipating this game; and the art surpassed expectations ;D A lot of variety, and some memorable scenes.

On the other hand the story, dialogue and characters didn't resonate deeply with me after the tutorial; well at least until towards the end. I suppose it was the mostly casual nature of the danger. I was more concerned with finding Zip, than of the strange parasite (evil ikachan-ish?) invasion that except for Chloe, didn't seem to be too concerned :p (Risa on the other hand has been waiting for this glorious day, to show the world what she's made of xD)

But, I am curious to see where things lead. To see what has become of Zip... And I do admit they seem like a good group of friends. Given time I could warm up to their group...


Gameplay wise, I find the battles a bit frustrating. With the mostly random nature of their movements, I have to keep on guard to whack 'em as soon as they twitch into range. Slow and careful, or risk piling on damage and dying in a scenic park where kids are playing... urgh, the floaters!
But, the boss... now that was very sweet. Too awesome for a first boss. I was hoping for a slight change in behavior when his health was low, but <3

Oh on the subject of gameplay, my initial impression of turning was that the screen jolted a bit too quickly to the other side. But, I got used to it, and plus I started when the CPU was maxing out, resulting in an overly laggy experience. So, with that bias, I missed my chance to objectively make a good decision...

The music was good. It didn't stand out to me, but it fit very well. Reminded me of some indie games I've played at some point... Can't remember names...

And, SFX gets a thumbs up. Nice.

Summary :
The game just blends well. Art + Music = transitive floaty happiness, kinda like a dandelion
There might be a possibility for a darker twist to the story (RIP), but it could also be a thematic fable that many kids could enjoy.
Anyway, seems original; and I approve ;D

Question : Will the final release be free? With a donate button? Or do you have other plans in mind?
 
Apr 19, 2014 at 10:35 PM
Junior Member
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Join Date: Dec 7, 2013
Location:
Posts: 35
Age: 20
#13
I haven't finished the demo yet, but I like it :3
It's a bit laggy on my laptop though, which sucks.
Also, were the parasites based off viruses? I realized they very closely resemble the structure of envelope and complex viruses..

Anyways, Rip seems like a good game so far, so I'll be looking forward to its completion. ^^
 
Apr 20, 2014 at 2:35 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: May 28, 2008
Location: PMMM MMO
Posts: 3714
Age: 27
#14
Updated the download link.

ver 0.1.0.1
-camera made to be less jumpy when turning left or right
-save added at the beginning of the park
-less lag on swinging of axe
-less lag on jumping
-enemies behave more "predictably"
-health drop rate slightly increased
-fixed a scripting bug (found by randompebble)

Play it and uh tell me if it fixes some of the issues you guys were having with combat.
 
Apr 20, 2014 at 2:45 AM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Join Date: Jan 24, 2014
Location: Polar✪
Posts: 298
#15
Nitpick time.



A nitpick of course but it annoys me every time, because I always try to jump at the edge of platforms, and because of the small fall, you're not able to jump and end up falling off the platform.

Other then that, I like the changes you've made.
 
Apr 20, 2014 at 3:13 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Join Date: Oct 6, 2013
Location: Absent
Posts: 492
Age: 19
#16
Some technical issues. (And it's probably on my end, because no one else is having these problems)
I'm getting a permanent white screen when I boot up the demo.

I wouldn't doubt that it's OS problems, but I dunno, really.
 
Apr 20, 2014 at 3:24 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Join Date: Oct 20, 2010
Location: Within the hearts of all
Posts: 691
Age: 99
#17
This demo is actually decently long, as I haven't finished it yet, but I like it. I do have a couple criticisms.
The jumping for one thing, works pretty well. I do want to point out that the running jump feels a bit stiff and not as impactful as I would expect from it. I like the delay on the jump but I think that the running jump could do with less of or no delay on it.
Speaking of the running, it doesn't seem all that responsive, as I would often try to run and jump but instead just jump.
Another thing is that the attacking also doesn't seem as responsive as it could be, this could easily be due to the charge up mechanic or just intended, I like a more fluent attack, that is just a personal thing.
One more thing, and I think it's my biggest annoyance, is that the little enemies move really randomly and there's no real way to predict them and I find myself getting hit by the constantly. Perhaps an actual pattern could help, or just have them drop more health when killed.
As for everything else, the graphics are stunning and are extremely nice to look at. The character designs are also pretty neat. Not to mention the illustrations that I very frequently find while playing.
The music, while not the most catchy stuff on the planet, is really awesome and is particularly calming and suits the atmosphere. I remember that program Psycle, nice use of it!
The story, since I haven't finished the demo, I can't really say is particularly great as I haven't witnessed a whole lot of it. I will say I really like Risa as a character, and the others look great and everything.
Overall I see a lot of potential despite the gripes I had with it. I can see a clear influence from Cave Story, but that's definitely not a bad thing. It's unique enough that it really doesn't matter. I would probably buy the finished product if it was sold. Keep up the nice work GIR, and good luck in the future with this game!
 
Apr 20, 2014 at 3:41 AM
going down
"Keep on rollin'!"
Join Date: May 14, 2012
Location: what year is it
Posts: 400
Age: 19
#18
Looking great so far, Gir. The music is awesome, the graphics are cool, and the art is adorable. Keep up the good work. :D
 
Apr 20, 2014 at 4:07 AM
Senior Member
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Join Date: Aug 30, 2013
Location: ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Posts: 167
Age: 19
#19
Found a random bug.
While talking to Chloe with 1 HP left, a virus-flier flew through the ground and attacked me right after the cutscene ended, killing me instantly. I didn't expect it either, when Chloe was talking about Jay it just flew through the platform and started pushing me, and immediately killed me when I was vulnerable.
...I must say, this game over music is relaxing.
 
Apr 20, 2014 at 5:15 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: May 28, 2008
Location: PMMM MMO
Posts: 3714
Age: 27
#20
Ollie said:
This demo is actually decently long, as I haven't finished it yet, but I like it. I do have a couple criticisms.
The jumping for one thing, works pretty well. I do want to point out that the running jump feels a bit stiff and not as impactful as I would expect from it. I like the delay on the jump but I think that the running jump could do with less of or no delay on it.
Speaking of the running, it doesn't seem all that responsive, as I would often try to run and jump but instead just jump.
Another thing is that the attacking also doesn't seem as responsive as it could be, this could easily be due to the charge up mechanic or just intended, I like a more fluent attack, that is just a personal thing.
One more thing, and I think it's my biggest annoyance, is that the little enemies move really randomly and there's no real way to predict them and I find myself getting hit by the constantly. Perhaps an actual pattern could help, or just have them drop more health when killed.
As for everything else, the graphics are stunning and are extremely nice to look at. The character designs are also pretty neat. Not to mention the illustrations that I very frequently find while playing.
The music, while not the most catchy stuff on the planet, is really awesome and is particularly calming and suits the atmosphere. I remember that program Psycle, nice use of it!
The story, since I haven't finished the demo, I can't really say is particularly great as I haven't witnessed a whole lot of it. I will say I really like Risa as a character, and the others look great and everything.
Overall I see a lot of potential despite the gripes I had with it. I can see a clear influence from Cave Story, but that's definitely not a bad thing. It's unique enough that it really doesn't matter. I would probably buy the finished product if it was sold. Keep up the nice work GIR, and good luck in the future with this game!
I'd recommend you download v0.1.0.1, since I think it addresses some of the issues you were having with combat and jumping.

Thanks for the feedback!
Kayya said:
Found a random bug.
While talking to Chloe with 1 HP left, a virus-flier flew through the ground and attacked me right after the cutscene ended, killing me instantly. I didn't expect it either, when Chloe was talking about Jay it just flew through the platform and started pushing me, and immediately killed me when I was vulnerable.
...I must say, this game over music is relaxing.
I'll see if I can fix that for next release.
Nadojin said:
Some technical issues. (And it's probably on my end, because no one else is having these problems)
I'm getting a permanent white screen when I boot up the demo.

I wouldn't doubt that it's OS problems, but I dunno, really.
What version of java do you have installed, and where is it (what directory did you install it in?)
 
Top