Basic Keyboard Control Issue

May 16, 2013 at 10:01 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Most activity is fine, basic motion and firing and what not is alright, however..
In attempts to both jump and fire at the same time (Holding Jump and hitting Fire) The game does not respond, and the character cannot fire downward and maintain a jump.
Using the same setup on a different computer (Older, with Vista and lower specs in general), no such issue is present.
I expect this is a keyboard setting issue, but I have not the knowledge to resolve this on my own...
I'm on an Acer Aspire laptop with Windows 7, using the original Cavestory freeware game with the english translation patch.
Thanks.

May 16, 2013 at 10:04 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It's keyboard ghosting and it means you have a cheap keyboard, there isn't really any way to fix it but you could try using grebind to see if there's a combination of keys that lets you press enough buttons.

May 16, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Ah..
That's a shame. Can't really swap out a keyboard on a laptop. I'll try to reconfigure the controls.
-edit-
Nothing I came up with was able to fix it..
I'll google up "keyboard ghosting" and see what I can find.
Looks like you were right. No solution that I'm capable of..

May 17, 2013 at 3:19 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Hmm...

You may be a little leery about this since it requires a bit of money, but you might be able to buy a joypad that plugs into the laptop. Then, you could use the application Joy2Key to play Cave Story without any problems.

I'm not entirely sure it would work, but it probably would. You'll have to decide for yourself.

If you do buy it, it could help with playing other games, as well.

May 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dunc2403 said:
Or you could buy a new keyboard
Plugging a new keyboard into a laptop kinda defeats the entire point of having a laptop in the first place.

May 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Why on Pixel's Green Earth would you need a third keyboard on your laptop ???

May 18, 2013 at 3:50 AM
Well obviously this conversation is heading in the right direction, so I'm going to look into a joypad..
I'm sure I can find an extra keyboard somewhere as well..

...So interestingly enough I found a semi-functional free iPhone app called Joypad Legacy..
It looks like it does what I like it to do, but tragically it's huge and inconvenient on the iPad and uses the classical (But extremely unfamiliar and uncomfortable) "+" "B" "A" format with no way to at least switch the directional keys to the left hand.

May 19, 2013 at 3:33 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Bismuth said:
...So interestingly enough I found a semi-functional free iPhone app called Joypad Legacy..
It looks like it does what I like it to do, but tragically it's huge and inconvenient on the iPad and uses the classical (But extremely unfamiliar and uncomfortable) "+" "B" "A" format with no way to at least switch the directional keys to the left hand.
...wait so you're willingly going to switch to touchscreen controls? Really?

I mean the ghosting in cave story isn't even that big of a deal unless you're trying to speedrun hell or something.

Also ghosting tends to only happen with a certain number of keys (normally 3+), so look into exactly how many you have to press to get ghosting to occur.

May 19, 2013 at 5:38 AM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
...wait so you're willingly going to switch to touchscreen controls? Really?

I mean the ghosting in cave story isn't even that big of a deal unless you're trying to speedrun hell or something.

Also ghosting tends to only happen with a certain number of keys (normally 3+), so look into exactly how many you have to press to get ghosting to occur.
The touchscreen controls completely solved the ghosting issue, and i managed to finish the game with them.
Strangely the ghosting happens 3-4 keys, depending on which. I can boost left and fire, but not right.

May 19, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I'd still recommend a gamepad. You can grab one fairly cheep from your local game store.

May 19, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Thanks, I'll look into it.
I've never previously thought a gamepad would be necessary, but it has got to be better than touch screen, whose biggest flaw by far is the tendency of the hands to shift position over the buttons, due to the lack of textural feedback.

May 19, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Frankly, I had the same problem with an older computer and I took a plain PS3 controller and plugged it right into my laptop. Works just like an older NES controller would. That's probably your best bet to just find a controller.

May 19, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Problem with that is I don't own a single console to retrieve a controller from..

May 20, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Bismuth said:
Problem with that is I don't own a single console to retrieve a controller from..
Well you don't really need a controller from a console. Plug and play PC gamepads work just as well and I'd expect they are cheaper to boot.

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM
andwhyisit said:
Well you don't really need a controller from a console. Plug and play PC gamepads work just as well and I'd expect they are cheaper to boot.
Makes sense, I'll see what I can do..
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I bought CS+, changed the controls so that "A" is now jump..
I looked into key ghosting and figured that if I skewed the controls, the keyboard might recognize the different inputs.. and it did! :D
All my problems are solved. <3

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
this is why I bought the Nintendo DS version