Balrog's relation to other characters.

Sep 12, 2012 at 2:43 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Tiny bit of backstory and context first.

Backstory: I was inspired to make this thread after seeing someone say, with absolute, unshakable conviction, that Balrog and Misery were obviously siblings and that I ship incest. So, discuss that theory while we're at it if you think it has any merit (I do not).

Context: We are moving from the assumption that the Nicalis translation is the official/canon translation (because, well, it is -- no matter how much you like Aeon Genesis).

So, I noticed some people discussing how Balrog refers to Jenka as "auntie" in the Nicalis translation. Apparently some people have taken this literally.

My question to you is: is Balrog literally Misery's cousin, or was he simply using an address of familiarity/affection? (I think it's the latter, but if anyone has any compelling arguments/evidence, I can be made to change my mind on this point.)

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Personally, I think it was just to be polite, or he may just refer to her as auntie just because he and Misery have that kind of relationship more or less.
Or maybe they really are cousins. :L

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:17 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I always interpreted it as a term of endearment and not much else. But it'd be funny if Ballos had a bar of soap for a son.

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
When there's a discrepancy between the Nicalis translation and the AG translation, it's best to check the original.
p157366-0-balrogaunt.png

"How you doin' auntie?" (the Nicalis translation) is a fairly literal and accurate translation of this. But, as it is in english, it is debatable whether or not she is actually his aunt or if he is just using the term out of affection.

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:35 PM
I always interpreted it as a term of endearment and not much else. But it'd be funny if Ballos had a bar of soap for a son.

It would be hilarious.

When there's a discrepancy between the Nicalis translation and the AG translation, it's best to check the original.
p157366-0-balrogaunt.png

"How you doin' auntie?" (the Nicalis translation) is a fairly literal and accurate translation of this. But, as it is in english, it is debatable whether or not she is actually his aunt or if he is just using the term out of affection.

Mad props for actually finding this segment and looking at the source material's translation, GIR. That's really interesting. Too bad it doesn't really clarify it!

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:29 PM
The Eternal Darkness
I think that Misery cast a spell which created Balrog, thus making him her familiar.

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:32 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
Heres my theory: Balrog was not only Misery's cousin, but he was a normal person training to perform in the magic arts(like Jenka and Misery). One day he was trying to cast a spell, but it backfired and turned him into a lunckbox/toaster/suitcase/bar-o-soap hybrid(thats my theory and I'm sticking to it).

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Banned
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Well, isn't misery related to jenka? Even so, balrog probably is related to jenka. Im not shure why he would call her auntie if she wasn't.

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM
daughter of chivalry
Well, isn't misery related to jenka? Even so, balrog probably is related to jenka. Im not shure why he would call her auntie if she wasn't.
It isn't uncommon for people to call an adult female they are close, but not necessarily related to, as "auntie". And both Misery and Jenka are human-looking witches. I don't know how a soapbox/toaster would fit into the family tree.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:17 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
The only other character to bear a resemblance to Balrog is Puu Black, so if Balrog was related to Misery, wouldn't that make him too?
Also, I agree that Balrog was probably normal until a magical accident of sorts.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Banned
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Well I guess pooh black would be related, but what's his story? Why was he guarding the pill?

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
It isn't uncommon for people to call an adult female they are close, but not necessarily related to, as "auntie".
Hey, I had a friend of the family that I knew wasn't related to me, but I still called her auntie

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:17 PM
daughter of chivalry
Yes, that's my point. I said it's NOT uncommon.

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:22 AM
I think that Misery cast a spell which created Balrog, thus making him her familiar.

While it's not impossible, I think it's more likely that he's one member of his particular race, whatever they actually are. Puu Black's existence definitely suggests something along those lines unless Misery/Jenka are somehow responsible for him too.

Even though the beta isn't canon, we can examine some of the ideas from it and get an idea of the sort of world/lore Pixel may have wanted to construct. As we know, there were an entire race of "Balrogs" in it, so that seems to support that theory as well. In short, applying Ockham's razor sort of takes me to that conclusion.

Heres my theory: Balrog was not only Misery's cousin, but he was a normal person training to perform in the magic arts(like Jenka and Misery). One day he was trying to cast a spell, but it backfired and turned him into a lunckbox/toaster/suitcase/bar-o-soap hybrid(thats my theory and I'm sticking to it).

More plausible than "Misery created him", because your theory doesn't clash with the idea that Puu Black exists.

As much as the idea of him being human at some stage is exceptionally amusing, I can't help but think that his "auntie" would have helped him reverse that curse if it happened prior to the demon crown incident. I mean, her power is so great she was able to contain Ballos, and it's clear that they were on good terms. Unless Balrog was like, "Fuck it, I like this form and I'm sticking to it", or something.

If it happened after he was cursed by the crown, I would have imagined he would have regained his human form after the curse was broken.

Well I guess pooh black would be related, but what's his story? Why was he guarding the pill?

Related insofar as they're the same species, yeah. I've heard some wild theories, and "Puu Black is Balrog's brother" is one of the more commonly-held ones. I think it's unlikely, but oh well.

Also, even though Puu Black has no dialog and has almost no screen time, he's actually worth thinking about. I didn't realize it at first, but when you go into the clinic, he doesn't actually attack you. At all. He just stands there. Yeah, if you get too close, his bubbles will make you take a bit of damage, but otherwise he won't attack you until you land a hit on him.

Feel sort of sorry for him. He must have been there to help -- I mean, he did become a nurse in the best ending -- and Quote practically assaulted him, unprovoked.

Sep 15, 2012 at 2:46 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Balrog is a spawn from hell, created by Ballos himself. But he made a huge mistake giving Balrog a conscious mind. His only function was to obey Misery's orders, and he failed...many times.

He is an anomaly. He shouldn't even exist, he is related to nothing. Existence formed from thin air lol...

Sep 15, 2012 at 6:24 AM
Balrog is a spawn from hell, created by Ballos himself. But he made a huge mistake giving Balrog a conscious mind. His only function was to obey Misery's orders, and he failed...many times.

He is an anomaly. He shouldn't even exist, he is related to nothing. Existence formed from thin air lol...

The thing is, I both like and endorse your theory. But it also clashes with Puu Black's existence somewhat.

New thread of discussion: Balrog would make a terrible nurse y/n