Balrog BalFROG color

Nov 18, 2018 at 9:57 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I don't know if anyone has asked this

But why is Balrog a different color in the Gum room?

before he turns into balfrog hes a little bit more.. grayish i guess?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Also in the Japanese version of cave story do they not call Balrog "Balfrog" (However they would say that) or is that just something fun that was translated

Nov 18, 2018 at 10:29 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I don't know if anyone has asked this

But why is Balrog a different color in the Gum room?

before he turns into balfrog hes a little bit more.. grayish i guess?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Also in the Japanese version of cave story do they not call Balrog "Balfrog" (However they would say that) or is that just something fun that was translated
It’s to bland the character with back ground, knowing that gum use bkplantation or something
And that also the room is mostly green make sense to have balrog greenish.
After all, if balrog have a brand new char for his bossfight, might as well make sense.

Nov 18, 2018 at 10:42 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
probably to blend in with the environment a little more, pixel probably forgot to add new color schemes for balrog in different areas (or just didnt want to bother)

Nov 26, 2018 at 9:36 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
The moment I saw Balrog as a frog I was like "hey dassa bal-frog," and seeing the "Balrog was defeated!" text at the end made me go ":O iss really call that." In Japanese it just says "Balrog was defeated!" like ususal.
You said "Balrog was defeated" twice.

Nov 26, 2018 at 11:12 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I'm guessing 256 color bitmaps were more annoying to make back in 2000 right?
I just use 24-bit bitmaps. I can use all the colors I want that way.

Nov 27, 2018 at 12:35 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
No but Pixel was really adamant about making the game's file size very small, hence the proprietary sound/music files, low-fi bmps and exe that was compiled with a setting that makes it 2x larger than it needs to be... oh wait except that last one.
Heh, maybe it would've still had used the 60fps framerate instead of dropping to 50 if the exe size was smaller, then.

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:41 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I also put the game at 60fps. It looks cool

Nov 27, 2018 at 5:28 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
It is only kinda screwy when you want to use <WAI

But everyone who's done it should know that.

Nov 28, 2018 at 12:23 AM
Stoned Member
Aside from you guys derailing the conversation for no comprehensible reason besides just a lack of compassion regarding this game and this community,
the true reason is because of the size limit on all images in Cave Story. (320 x 240)
Pixel would not be able to fit all of the normal balrog sprites and Balfrog in the same sheet, so he cut out ones that he wouldn't need ( or didn't implement at the time) and created a separate sprite sheet. The reason Balrog's colors are different is because of optimizing the palette, and thus, reducing the size of the game.

He could've easily made Balfrog smaller and fit it in one sheet, but it wouldn't have the same dramatic effect.

Nov 28, 2018 at 1:18 AM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
Aside from you guys derailing the conversation for no comprehensible reason besides just a lack of compassion regarding this game and this community,
the true reason is because of the size limit on all images in Cave Story. (320 x 240)
Pixel would not be able to fit all of the normal balrog sprites and Balfrog in the same sheet, so he cut out ones that he wouldn't need ( or didn't implement at the time) and created a separate sprite sheet. The reason Balrog's colors are different is because of optimizing the palette, and thus, reducing the size of the game.

He could've easily made Balfrog smaller and fit it in one sheet, but it wouldn't have the same dramatic effect.
oh i didnt know that adding more colors to a sprite sheet took up a lot of space

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:42 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I ignore space requirements. I have A LOT of space on my laptop(s). So I even have 7 different copies of Cave Story and more.
But I'm sure other people care about space. I just move videos onto a USB if I need space.

Nov 28, 2018 at 5:50 PM
War criminal
Well now, space requirement doesn't matter, Cave Story was made in 2004, when Windows 98 and Windows 2000 were still a thing (and compatible with Cave Story), every byte matters for those operating systems.

Nov 28, 2018 at 11:01 PM
Stoned Member
Reminder that some of the earliest videos of Cave Story on youtube and other video sharing websites had people struggling with their framerate.
Somewhat makes me concerned how I'm gonna go about optimizing my game, considering I used to get terrible framerate when I ran windows 7.

Nov 29, 2018 at 1:15 AM
War criminal
Reminder that some of the earliest videos of Cave Story on youtube and other video sharing websites had people struggling with their framerate.
Somewhat makes me concerned how I'm gonna go about optimizing my game, considering I used to get terrible framerate when I ran windows 7.
It ran fine for me, and i use a lower end w7 laptop.

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:59 AM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Pretty much anyone who's looked at the assembly can see that cave story's executable is waay larger than it needs to be.