Ballos' Final Words

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:45 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I just beat Cave Story again and I got to wondering something. After you kill Ballos he says "HOT... HOT... CAN'T BREATHE... SO PAINFUL... HOT... IT HURTS...".

However, this is after he's been destroyed...and I can only assume that it's him talking. So my question is...what is he referring to? Did he end up going to hell or something or is all the pain and heat of Quote and Curly's blasts finally sinking in as he dies?

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
There was a part of me that's always thought Ballos spoke those words when he was being tortured by the king's servants, and that those words were an echo of the pain he had experienced before he went mad. The pain that drove him mad. That's the best I can think up.

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:14 PM
War criminal
Maybe a reference to Giygas' lines?

Feb 12, 2014 at 5:50 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
This is going to blow your minds, but...
After a while I decided that it WASN'T
Ballos speaking those words...
He ASKED you to kill him, so it could
be someone else. I then decided that it was
actually the Doctor's ethereal Red-Crystal
form screaming in pain as it was erased
from existence.

Feb 12, 2014 at 8:04 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I have to ask then, is the Red Crystal connected to the Crown at all? Cause uh...the Red Flowers would still exist, it was just that when the Core was destroyed they no longer affected Mimigas. I assume the same would go for the Red Crystal with The Doctor either being stuck in his new form or being wiped out when the Core was destroyed, not when Ballos was.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I had always thought it was Balrog saying those words as he was on his way to save you. While this Ballos theory is very interesting, I agree with the first post.

Feb 12, 2014 at 8:16 PM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
IdioticBaka1824 said:
I had always thought it was Balrog saying those words as he was on his way to save you. While this Ballos theory is very interesting, I agree with the first post.
Somehow I find "HOT... HOT... CAN'T BREATHE... SO PAINFUL... HOT... IT HURTS..." out of character for Balrog.

I always imagined that since he was immortal, and Quote "killed" him, he was stuck in a state of limbo. An unfathomable pain. Since he was still alive, yet lacked a mortal form, it'd explain the "CAN'T BREATHE" and would also make sense, considering he'd been declared immortal multiple times, and could never truly die.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:59 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
IdioticBaka1824 said:
I had always thought it was Balrog saying those words as he was on his way to save you.
I strangely want to animate/draw Balrog saying those lines as he walks through the burning spikes of hell, ramming himself into the floor as the stench of thousands of years prior block out his ability to breathe.

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:55 PM
Off-screen redemption arc
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Let's look at this from another angle. So, we all know what the red flowers are: red flowers. But what else are they called? Demon flowers. So, if the Red Crystal draws power from the Demon Flowers, and the Doctor uses the Red Crystal, then that connects the Doctor to Ballos, because the destruction of Ballos means the destruction of the Demon Crown, and the flowers. (we can also assume that the Deleets and Presses are destroyed, but that's not really relevant) And why does the Doctor survive in spirit even if his body is destroyed? It's never stated outright. Is it possible that, between the Demon Crown and the Red Crystal, his connection with Ballos is so strong that they share the same life force? When Ballos is destroyed, so is the Doctor. I think it's the Doctor's words.

May 25, 2014 at 1:12 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
ThatPortalGuy said:
Let's look at this from another angle. So, we all know what the red flowers are: red flowers. But what else are they called? Demon flowers. So, if the Red Crystal draws power from the Demon Flowers, and the Doctor uses the Red Crystal, then that connects the Doctor to Ballos, because the destruction of Ballos means the destruction of the Demon Crown, and the flowers. (we can also assume that the Deleets and Presses are destroyed, but that's not really relevant) And why does the Doctor survive in spirit even if his body is destroyed? It's never stated outright. Is it possible that, between the Demon Crown and the Red Crystal, his connection with Ballos is so strong that they share the same life force? When Ballos is destroyed, so is the Doctor. I think it's the Doctor's words.

I think the Demon Flowers and the Red Flowers are two different things. When i saw that cutscene when the doctor get those Red Flowers in the warehouse, he asked Misery: Hmm, Misery, are these Demon Flowers?

Or something like that.

May 25, 2014 at 3:21 PM
Professional Whatever
Your idea makes no sense, nor does your reasoning behind it. He asks Misery that, yes, but that doesn't automatically cause the flowers to cease to be demon flowers. The doctor most likely heard about or witnessed the flower transformation and its cause, and went searching for their power. I doubt he would ignore those flowers, and instead look for a different type of flower that he doesn't even know exists or not.

May 25, 2014 at 4:55 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
TheDoctor said:
When i saw that cutscene when the doctor get those Red Flowers in the warehouse, he asked Misery: Hmm, Misery, are these Demon Flowers?
If you remember, after he asks that Misery says that they are the demon flowers, which shows that the Red Flowers are indeed the Demon Flowers. So your assumption that the Red Flowers and the Demon Flowers are different flowers is debunked right there.

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:13 AM
"..."
This is a slight bump, but I just thought I'd contribute.

What if the words are the doctor?
The demon crown is run off of Ballos's power, from what I can understand. And the Doctor stays alive using a weird mix of the red crystal, which I can only guess is controlled by the demon crown, and the demon crown. Even though he's killed, is it possible the demon crown kept him alive since Ballos was alive? And then, as Ballos was eventually killed, the Doctor's soul was destroyed?

I don't know, it sounds stupid but it's an idea.

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:09 PM
Professional Whatever
Huh, that's actually pretty interesting. If the crown's magic lingers after death, it could definitely act as a final stand against quote and curly. However, since Ballos is pretty powerful himself, if he had remained somewhat alive then he could have said those words himself before perishing. I guess it could go either way.

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I had never considered that the Doctor could have been saying that. =o

Pretty neat theory there ;3

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:01 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
“Welcome. I am Ballos.

Ages upon ages ago, in fear of enduring punishment, I allowed my magic to run wild…

The magic became such that even its master’s hands could not control it.

As I looked on, unable to quell its fiery rage, it took from me my loved ones, my children, my
dearest wife…

Their cries of agony soared above the flames. I could not avert my eyes, so I merely gazed upon the spectacle…
Laughing…"

Ahem...
As for when he is defeated...

“It hurts…

So… hot….the pain…

Help me… It hurts… So hot…"

I always though that those words are the cries of those destroyed in Ballos' madness, voices that forever haunted him...
After all, you can see tormented spirits within Ballos' final form, likely the ones devoured in his own flames.
And fire seems to play a big part of his story anyhow...
But that's just me letting my brain spew all over three lines of text :3

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I thought it was the souls of everyone in Ballos' village/kingdom that he burned alive.

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:54 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
precisely what i said.

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:10 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Yeah. Sorry. ^^"

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:59 AM
"..."
Polaris said:
I had never considered that the Doctor could have been saying that. =o

Pretty neat theory there ;3
Thanks, it was more my way of just putting out a random idea.
It's unlikely though, seeing how Ballos's story is about flames so most likely it was Ballos or the people destroyed by his magic's echoing voices.
Although, it could still be the Doctor, suffering the pain Ballos and his kingdom suffered all those years ago, but who knows.
Pixel will probably never say.

And why should he, really.