Background hacking?

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:54 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I've searched through the forums and I don't think anyone has mentioned this before so I thought I'd bring it up.

There are a whole lot of hacking guides involving assembly about npc AI's, weapon editing, general offsets, special effects and even title screen editing but I'm quite suprised that noone seems to have tried hacking background movement. I can think of some potentially interesting things that can be made if someone could get their hands on the offsets for some background movements. Right now I can think of something like Artery Style. If you don't know artery is just a fast background moving towards the left constantly and objects, like hearts and energy move in that direction instead of falling. Perhaps this would be possible to do this but instead, the background moves up and so do the hearts and energy.

This could be good for people who know a lot about assembly and how to find
offsets cause you could probably get some other interesting things from this.

So does anyone think they're able to find the offsets for the camera movement?

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:05 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
This is a cool idea. I'd also like to do a variation on the "Outer wall style" in which there are more "layers" that move at different speeds.

Jun 6, 2009 at 10:45 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
That would be pretty cool. This would be more difficult but maybe one that moves in a random direction when the map is loaded. I can't really think of a case where you might need it but it would be cool