Jun 30, 2020 at 8:17 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Oh boy probably the only mod I posted this year and it's a CSBD and waste of time.

I probably don't need to explain much, no screenshots needed, and not much explanation required either.
So what is this exactly?
It's quite simple, it's basically just the game playing itself.
That's it, decided to open the can of worms scraping on the bottom of the barrel, I barely remember any auto mods in general anyway besides that one mod Seasons made in the '16 modding contest and that was without what's going on here (which you could argue was more creative than this :v)

Currently the mod only covers First Cave because I wonder what people think of this, if people are interested I may work more on (stuff like) this, though if I extend this it will not be just a CSBD, there's still enough ideas I can get out of this. (perhaps make the player jump/shoot while quote keeps walking? Areas where the player regains (partial) control? Who knows, though it won't be in vanilla CS areas unless people *really* want that, but a mod where I screw with the player's controls sounds fun either way.)
Either way, please post your thoughts.

This was made with the default control settings in mind, do not swap the z/x buttons or turn on the controller stuff or else stuff will not work and the magic wears off.
Other than that, just press new on the title screen and sit back.
Download here.

Jul 2, 2020 at 12:43 AM
Brayconn Online
Modding Community Discord Moderator
CSE Discord Moderator
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I was thinking of making a CS mod using this technique that would TAS the game right in front of your eyes, but I think this is actually a cooler concept. Nice mod!

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:10 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Thanks and yeah, the thought that this might as well be practically a TAS already crossed my mind.
It's just one hell of a thing to write considering how much you have to write and test.

One would have to give me one hell of a motivation boost to make me do this with sand zone or something.

Jul 2, 2020 at 4:27 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
why would cave story play itself that makes no sense :confused: :confused: :confused:

good mod I enjoyed

Jul 3, 2020 at 2:12 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Heh, this was an interesting little experiment. I liked the little gag of Kazuma being the one to control Quote. I was a little bit disappointed in the lack of strategic maneuvering in some areas, since the illusion was ruined when Quote ran right into a bat and nothing happened. But, it was probably very tedious to get all of those movements down as it was, so I'll take what I can. Thanks for entertaining me for 5 minutes.

Jul 3, 2020 at 7:29 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
I was a little bit disappointed in the lack of strategic maneuvering in some areas, since the illusion was ruined when Quote ran right into a bat and nothing happened.
In a perfect world I would've remembered how to make the event invincibility go away but alas.
Probably a better idea would have been to send the player towards a trigger, end the event and then continue once there, that would've given windows of being able to be hit.
Really the problem was that the bats were at a different spot everytime I tested so even if I had quote slow down for the first the difference from that doesn't really matter.

Jul 3, 2020 at 7:34 AM
War criminal
In a perfect world I would've remembered how to make the event invincibility go away but alas
Here it is, if you make an update:
Code:
Disable event invincibility
0x4219f2
90 90 90 90 90 90 90

Enable damage and death during events
0x4193a0
90 90

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:51 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I would totally watch the whole game like this, or at least be interested to see how far it can go before some randomness breaks it. The Sand Zone maybe? Omega + the first block section seems like it'd be a real handful.

Jul 3, 2020 at 6:44 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
It would probably change a ton if there were a way to make the randomizing well, not random.

Jul 5, 2020 at 1:05 AM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
nice MOD i got the persistent ending