Attention Everyone--Mod Challenge

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:10 PM
"Huzzah!"
DoubleThink said:
Before this goes on any further can I sperg out about the scoring for a minute? Okay I'm going to do that now.
I don't quite like the setup at the moment. 40 points come from basically making no technical mistakes and only 30 come from the community. IMO a better balance would be more like this, at the least:
-30 points of techincal/'negative' marking, with the losses for each error readjusted if necessary. While this does deserve some emphasis, I don't really see it making much of a difference to most mods anyway. There will need to be some way to judge this as well, but hopefully it will be mostly objective?
-30 points for creativity, based on judging panel average. I think that in order to work, this will need to be strictly focussed on said creative aspects (e.g. original content, use of scripting or artistic ideas; execution will probably fit into this to some degree) rather than a judge's entire opinion of an entry; that's what the community voting is for, after all. I would suggest 15 points for a 'neutral' entry with little OC or ideas but no obvious failings, which judges can scale up to as much as 30 based on individual discretions. Subtractions may be made for unoriginal or failed content, but the point here is to give credit.
-40 points based on community voting. I am not a fan of the idea of running this as a basic poll, on the basis that there's zero reason not to vote for some of these aside from trying to pick a winner. Single choice would be even worse due to all the credit it leaves out. Therefore, I will advocate a post-vote system. Here's the layout I've come up with:

1. First place vote (40 points)
2. Second place (34? points)
3. Third place (29? points)
Hon. mentions: As many other games as a person desires can be placed here, for 20 points each.

Like the creativity judging, the community score will be the total average of all votes. The gaps are fairly large because I figure it's important that this be competitive. It's still better than all-or-nothing votes. Also voters will have had to play all the entries to be eligible, naturally :cool:
I don't mean to harp on about this, but I do believe it's important to take balancing this seriously, considering it's the thing that's going to determine the combined efforts of everyone involved.

I'm also willing to offer my services as a judge, bringing with me my love of all things mod and painfully sunny disposition. I know I have an entry but I think most of the others are better than it anyway so :chin:
I think this is fine.
Also, somebody else should be assigned to pick out the judges for the contest, as I am really bad at this kind of thing.
Any suggestions?

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:26 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Jan 16, 2015 at 3:57 PM
hi hi
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Just wanted to notify you that I already played all of the entries. I played them fully with the exception of Bionic's Impossible Story, because it's just Cave Story with crappy graphics. I'm disappointed that he didn't release anything better than that.

So yeah. If you need any judges, I guess I could try to be one.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:40 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
imo the judges should be people who are not actually participating in the contest but I am aware that severely limits our prospects

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:46 PM
"Huzzah!"
Noxid said:
imo the judges should be people who are not actually participating in the contest but I am aware that severely limits our prospects
I could, idk maybe, be a judge if you needed me to be.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:50 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
How many judges are going to be chosen? Like, three? If I could throw some recommendations out there: any of the staff who hasn't submitted, dunc (assuming he didn't have a hand in Doors' mod), Nameless, Polaris, and that's all I can think of. I assume we're leaving it up to you (Nox) and DT, so choose wisely!
EDIT: Also Hayden would be a good candidate, I forgot about him.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:52 PM
hi hi
Tpcool said:
How many judges are going to be chosen? Like, three? If I could throw some recommendations out there: any of the staff who hasn't submitted, dunc (assuming he didn't have a hand in Doors' mod), Nameless, Polaris, and that's all I can think of. I assume we're leaving it up to you (Nox) and DT, so choose wisely!
You forgot about the almighty Tpcool.

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:04 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Hah, I'd feel like a big butt nominating myself as a judge, but I'd be more than happy to if that's what's best.

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:15 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
I always feel nervous about helping with these big things, but now that I have a computer (and finals are over, too!), I really don't have an excuse. I have a feeling that my self doubt is unfounded here, hopefully a feeling that will hold true.

So I'll be willing to help judge, if you'll have me. :3

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:52 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Tpcool said:
EDIT: Also Hayden would be a good candidate, I forgot about him.
I could try to judge, but I don't know much about modding, so I'm not sure how well I could do that. I would be fine doing it if that's not necessary.