Artwork and Stuff

Old topic!
The last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.
Apr 1, 2011 at 4:58 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Join Date: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 1945
Oh lol man
 
Apr 17, 2011 at 8:26 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: May 28, 2008
Location: PMMM MMO
Posts: 3712
Age: 28
Still trying to draw. Still not that great.
 
Apr 17, 2011 at 9:39 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Join Date: Jul 10, 2009
Location:
Posts: 1004
Age: 36
Drunken Applesauce said:
A quick sketch I did in class about 6 months back. Teacher dared me. Didn't think I'd pull it off. It was English class, by the way.


Wow m8
, your idea was so cool they are going to make a movie about it called "Thomas the Death Train", TRAILER PROOF:
You must watch it on Youtube I`m afraid, but it`s worth :)
 
Apr 17, 2011 at 10:02 AM
Senior Member
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Join Date: Apr 30, 2010
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 126
Age: 26
trickybilly said:

Wow m8
, your idea was so cool they are going to make a movie about it called "Thomas the Death Train", TRAILER PROOF:
You must watch it on Youtube I`m afraid, but it`s worth :)
Haha holy shit! Talk about great minds think alike lol
 
Apr 25, 2011 at 8:57 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
Join Date: Apr 9, 2011
Location:
Posts: 376
Age: 28
I sporadically draw, but most of what I have drawn isn't uploaded onto my computer (I badly need a scanner). Here're two I have handy, maybe I'll snap some pics of my other stuff later.

Kefka from FF6, drawn last December.
I dunno why I gave him a fab hand.

A doodle of some guy I drew about a year/year and a half ago. Definitely not meant to be me being a creeper. Nope.
 
Apr 25, 2011 at 5:46 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Apr 19, 2009
Location:
Posts: 3788
Age: 14
Bitch, my hand don't look anything like that.

Also good artwork and stuff get scanner acquire women etc.
 
Apr 29, 2011 at 1:59 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Join Date: May 2, 2010
Location: beverly hills is where i WANT to be
Posts: 743
Age: 26
if you are going to quote the post that is RIGHT ABOVE YOU making us scroll through the two same images without adding anything except the word awesome at least fucking spoiler it.
anyway

ponies. I might work on this a bit more.
 
Apr 30, 2011 at 9:26 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Join Date: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 1945
 
Apr 30, 2011 at 11:43 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Join Date: Mar 1, 2008
Location: Grasstown
Posts: 1435
WD said:
I barely draw actual pieces of work anymore. Especially not on the computer cause I lack a tablet and a mouse. Also, I hate drawing.
Sorry, I'm confused. If you hate drawing, why did you ever bother to get so good?

sixtyseconds said:
Rule 67: There's always a freeware that can do better what a premium program can do. You just have to search for it.
Not always. There is for example no free program that can do music typesetting like Finale or Sibelius; while Lilypond reputedly does a better job in the actual typesetting, it lacks many of the other features such as playback and WYSIWYG.

WoodenRat said:
This drawing is actually good. It may be the best I've seen from you.

Cripplechair said:
I sporadically draw, but most of what I have drawn isn't uploaded onto my computer (I badly need a scanner). Here're two I have handy, maybe I'll snap some pics of my other stuff later.
Agreed on the scanner point. Those drawings hurt my eyes, but I think that's solely due to the photo quality; if they were scanned properly, I think they'd be pretty good.
 
May 1, 2011 at 12:03 AM
bloated doushe
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Join Date: Jun 12, 2009
Location: Plegia
Posts: 1608
Celtic Minstrel said:
Sorry, I'm confused. If you hate drawing, why did you ever bother to get so good?
I'm not sure if you are complimenting me or insulting me. It's hard to tell with you. If it's the former, then thank you.

I didn't bother to get 'good'. It just happened. I'm somewhat artistically inclined..even though I think I suck.

I have bad confidence issues and jealousy issues too. I thought I was okay until I started going on the internet. And then I got stressed out and thought I would never get better and didn't feel like trying..and every time I did I would hate it. I can't do poses, expressions, really simple drawing essentials..everything I do seems to be..flat. Since I learned that anatomy is srs bsns from all the strict drawing books I read that would nitpick everything, I tried to focus on that..but I was afraid to play with poses in case the anatomy would be fucked up. So now I just think they are flat and unoriginal. In short: I don't find it enjoyable anymore. It's not a hobby, it's a stressor. And since it seems I'm not passionate enough to pursue it and try my best, I suppose it's just not for me in general.

Sorry for sounding so brooding and emo, but I just wanted to explain.
 
May 1, 2011 at 1:55 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Jan 4, 2008
Location: Lingerie, but also, like, fancy curtains
Posts: 3054
Solution: Don't give a fuck about what other people say. Art cannot be considered "good" or "bad" by some definable metric. That is, screw anatomy. Screw poses, screw expressions, screw anybody who tries to judge your art.

If you draw what you want to draw without worrying about the composition itself, it will hopefully cease to be a stressor and become enjoyable again. That's what really matters. Furthermore it's still likely to be awesome so stop self deprecating.
 
May 1, 2011 at 2:13 AM
bloated doushe
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Join Date: Jun 12, 2009
Location: Plegia
Posts: 1608
Lace said:
Solution: Don't give a fuck about what other people say. Art cannot be considered "good" or "bad" by some definable metric. That is, screw anatomy. Screw poses, screw expressions, screw anybody who tries to judge your art.

If you draw what you want to draw without worrying about the composition itself, it will hopefully cease to be a stressor and become enjoyable again. That's what really matters. Furthermore it's still likely to be awesome so stop self deprecating.
It's easier said than done, really. I just don't like drawing anymore, simple as that. And I don't care about how others see it, I care about how I see it. If it doesn't look right or good to me, I just get pissed. It's not relaxing at all.

So, meh. I may be being stubborn but that's just how it is. I appreciate the support though.
 
May 1, 2011 at 2:29 AM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Join Date: May 2, 2010
Location: beverly hills is where i WANT to be
Posts: 743
Age: 26
yeah, drawing can be frustrating. I end up throwing out 19/20 pieces that I do, but when I can (finally) pull something together, or learn a trick that makes things easier, or figure out how to use something new etc etc it's just the best feeling in the world holy shit
 
May 1, 2011 at 2:43 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
Join Date: Apr 9, 2011
Location:
Posts: 376
Age: 28
It's rare I draw that much, partially because I draw so damn SLOWLY. On top of that, I have a sort of 'trial and error' method to working on a piece, in the sense that I erase and redraw this part or that over and over and over again until it looks right. Results are arbitrarily distributed between "meh" and "that's... pretty good, actually. Cool." I'd probably draw more if it wasn't so disproportionately time consuming for me to pump out one piece of work.
 
May 1, 2011 at 4:42 AM
bloated doushe
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Join Date: Jun 12, 2009
Location: Plegia
Posts: 1608
That's my problem exactly too. I mean, sure it's good to practice that way so in the future you'll know exactly how it goes..but..ugh. That's what makes my drawings look stiff..whereas some people have the ability to make a few lines in 10 seconds and they'll have a proportionate and fluid drawing. My friend is like that. Bleh.
 
May 1, 2011 at 5:23 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: May 28, 2008
Location: PMMM MMO
Posts: 3712
Age: 28
What I've been told (and what I've seen, kind of) is that drawing is somewhat of an acquired skill: if you want to get better at it, you have to draw lots. It's expected that you'll suck at the beginning. But it's those that put in years of work into learning how to draw that become the best.

I stress over the details too, but I'm trying to overcome that so that I can draw a bit faster and get less irritated.
 
May 1, 2011 at 5:32 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
Join Date: Apr 9, 2011
Location:
Posts: 376
Age: 28
For me, it's not even that I get irritated by my art, I'm just passively more inclined to do things other than draw. It's a shame, really, because I have the capacity to make some really nice stuff when I put the time, effort, and time into it. Also time. Lots of that.
 
May 1, 2011 at 1:43 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Join Date: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 1945
WD said:
I'm not sure if you are complimenting me or insulting me. It's hard to tell with you. If it's the former, then thank you.

I didn't bother to get 'good'. It just happened. I'm somewhat artistically inclined..even though I think I suck.

I have bad confidence issues and jealousy issues too. I thought I was okay until I started going on the internet. And then I got stressed out and thought I would never get better and didn't feel like trying..and every time I did I would hate it. I can't do poses, expressions, really simple drawing essentials..everything I do seems to be..flat. Since I learned that anatomy is srs bsns from all the strict drawing books I read that would nitpick everything, I tried to focus on that..but I was afraid to play with poses in case the anatomy would be fucked up. So now I just think they are flat and unoriginal. In short: I don't find it enjoyable anymore. It's not a hobby, it's a stressor. And since it seems I'm not passionate enough to pursue it and try my best, I suppose it's just not for me in general.

Sorry for sounding so brooding and emo, but I just wanted to explain.
You sound a lot like me a few years ago. Back then I'd actually get pissed off and sad when someone the same age as me drew fucking amazing art. I would actually rate people's drawings according to their age. I'd actually say "Wow this is amazing" and then go "Wait he's 20, nevermind". The only way I could get over this insecurity was by...Actually I have no idea how I got over it. I just did. It was like artistic puberty for me. It's hard to explain.

Also seeing your own art as flat is natural so don't emphasize it you stupid n00b. It's because you kill the surprise of your art by redrawing certain parts and actually knowing which parts were redrawn. When a person looks at the picture he doesn't instantly see it, he reads through it. Usually from left to right or from top to down. But when it's your art you're looking at you can't "read" it because, obviously, you're the one who "wrote" it! So unless the main parts of the drawing took you a few lucky strokes you won't find it amazing. Hell, I can hardly find my own drawings that I enjoy. I can still see a lot of mistakes in composition and fucking common sense. Of course the disgusting part of them makes it easier and you could make excuses, but there are rules in art. Rules you can't break. The few pictures of mine that I can "read" correctly are probably the one with Balrog (nsfw), or these two

and
One thing they have in common is that they were all drawn in an extremely short period of time. Really, the important parts of them like the expression on quote or the "complexity" of the bird's head was made with a lot of luck - a few strokes in a few seconds. Of course there was some nit-picking in his shirt and whatnot, to fix the lines but that's just basic shit.

Lace said:
Solution: Don't give a fuck about what other people say. Art cannot be considered "good" or "bad" by some definable metric. That is, screw anatomy. Screw poses, screw expressions, screw anybody who tries to judge your art.

If you draw what you want to draw without worrying about the composition itself, it will hopefully cease to be a stressor and become enjoyable again. That's what really matters. Furthermore it's still likely to be awesome so stop self deprecating.
Actually if you stop giving a shit what people say your skills won't develop. Sure, your art is pretty great, and so is mine. But I'm still learning, and the stuff I draw? It's basically luck. A few lucky brush strokes and you have the funniest picture. You need to realise that isn't only skill. If you asked me draw a human face I'd probably fuck up. It might look nice but I could still see houndreds of mistakes in proportions. I'm currently trying to draw a human skull at these art classes I take and it's nearly impossible. So right now I can stick to Ms. Paint and the current style I use. I could post a few of my paintings but whatever fuck that.

WD said:
..whereas some people have the ability to make a few lines in 10 seconds and they'll have a proportionate and fluid drawing. My friend is like that. Bleh.
I'm like that friend too. But as I said, the shit that I draw is made of 30% luck.
 
Top