Arthur: who really was he?

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:22 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
JacobX891 said:
I had a theory about this earlier. I had said, 'The mimigas were created in the magical overspill from Ballos's blind destruction. It's like a nuclear bomb: even after it has exploded, there's still nuclear fallout everywhere. as such, the magic mutated small rabbits, and they grew, and changed, and became the Mimigas. at the same time, a small species of tick that feeds only off of rabbit blood was also mutated, and they grew, and changed, and became the Gaudis.'
But the Guadis were charged with protecting the Core by Jenka, so they were there before Ballos.

If rabbits were exposed to Ballos' power in such a way then they would be still on all fours and looking like a bunny rabbit, except bigger, with red eyes, and only defeatable with a Holy Hand-Grenade. :eek:

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:19 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Misery's transformation of Balrog into Balfrog wasn't meant to last, it was supposed to give him an edge in his next battle. Misery's transformation of Sue and Itoh was so strong, however, that even when the humans devised a machine to change them back it only lasted a few seconds before they reverted to mimiga.

Ballos was probably the source of the Gaudis, or they were already there. But I maintain that as long as she had also created the red flowers Misery has a use for the mimigas and the power to create them, so it is quite a reasonable conclusion that she created them. Heck, even if she hadn't finished designing the flowers it could've still been used as a punishment, as it was on Sue and Itoh.

Jan 14, 2009 at 10:47 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
When I said she "created" the mimigas, I meant "She turned some people into mimigas permanently, and those were the first ones". You're right that, now that I think of it, it'd make sense if the flowers came first, from Ballos, and everything else she did was an attempt to harness their power.

Jan 14, 2009 at 11:09 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Brickman said:
Misery's transformation of Balrog into Balfrog wasn't meant to last, it was supposed to give him an edge in his next battle. Misery's transformation of Sue and Itoh was so strong, however, that even when the humans devised a machine to change them back it only lasted a few seconds before they reverted to mimiga.
You don't get it. No matter how hard to break the spell is, creating a true physical change of that level would put Misery's power at a near godlike status, and would be impossible to undo for even one second.

Brickman said:
Ballos was probably the source of the Gaudis, or they were already there. But I maintain that as long as she had also created the red flowers Misery has a use for the mimigas and the power to create them, so it is quite a reasonable conclusion that she created them. Heck, even if she hadn't finished designing the flowers it could've still been used as a punishment, as it was on Sue and Itoh.
First of all, as mentioned by Jacob, there are so many flaws in that it isn't funny. Second, please try to keep wild theories out of this discussion.

The red flowers were created from Ballos' occasionally leaking and corrupting power. The red flowers effects weren't revealed until 10 years ago.

JacobX891 said:
But she didn't create them. You cannot simply wish a living thing into existence with magic. If such a thing were possible, why didn't Date just tell misery to create some flowers instead of wasting time trying to access the storehouse? Besides, it would make more sense for the flowers to have existed initially: Misery, seeking power, wanted a way to control the Demon Flowers and those who consume them, and so Ballos created the Demon Crown upon her request. Notice how they both have the word Demon in their names. Coincidence? I think not.
I agree with most of that post, but I doubt it had anything to do with the flowers. The crown was probably made long before the flowers came into play.

Jan 14, 2009 at 11:13 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
If you maintain that Misery cannot permanently transform a human into a mimiga, what are you saying she did to Sue and Itoh?

Jan 14, 2009 at 11:27 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Brickman said:
If you maintain that Misery cannot permanently transform a human into a mimiga, what are you saying she did to Sue and Itoh?
Are you pretending that you understand the physics of Cave Story's world or that I do? We all know that having a complete physical change from mimiga to human and then see them popping back without any form of energy or magic consumption is impossible. Also if misery had to power to mold matter then she could do whatever she wanted. But we all know Misery's limitations with magic, so does Misery, she just works around them. I don't know the details of what she did to Sue, but I am assuming that it more complicated than magic consuming.

Jan 15, 2009 at 12:54 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
JacobX891 said:
Of course, if Misery were to die, then the spell would be lifted and They would return to normal.
Unconfirmed. It could be that Misery would have to undo it herself and that killing her wouldn't affect the spell. If you decided to cast a spell to last, then why would you make it continuously drain your magic? Killing the spell casters to revert spells is a simple and barely thought out solution used by writers who have no imagination. Things in life are never that simple.

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:03 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
JacobX891 said:
And here I thought you liked Pixel :(
(i.e. Ballos)
I knew someone would bring that up.

Ballos is a different kettle of fish since he is constantly using his powers, plus he is also much less limited magic-wise. Rather than conserving and focusing his power he just lets it go wild 24/7, and unlike Misery, he can afford it. None of his spells are meant to be long term but rather as he casts them. So he was pumping his magic into dragging the island to the ground while fighting Quote and when he died, he couldn't force the island to the ground anymore. The crown assumably drew upon his powers, and the flowers... hmm.. I have no idea now whether or not they were affected by his death, they could still be there. *shrug*

Basically they weren't reverting the effects of a spell, but stopping one without reverting the effects. There is a major difference there.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:51 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Arthur is a mimiga, so discussing who the mimigas really are is... ok, we're off topic. I like to think of it more as expanding the topic though--rather than just our opinions on what goes in the blank spaces left in the cannon plot regarding one person, we're doing so regarding everything that happened before the game.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:52 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
JacobX891 said:
Hm. Good point, good point. I guess we could argue upon this one as much as we want, but at the end of the day we just don't have an answer. It's just one of those questions.

We've kind of veered off topic. >.>
Yes, this has turned into a bit of a backstory debate thread.

We really need a "Theories" section since these debates happen often enough.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:59 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I wrote a Long annoying reply lol, but I think it isn't worth it.

Oh, and no one commented on my summation of the events of 10 years ago ;_; Do people agree with it?

As for Mr. Arthur. hmmmm
What's the deal with Pixel's names? King. Arthur. And then King uses a blade? Did humans tell or give the story of King Arthur to the Mimigas or something? lol

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:41 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
X-Calibar said:
I wrote a Long annoying reply lol, but I think it isn't worth it.

Oh, and no one commented on my summation of the events of 10 years ago ;_; Do people agree with it?

As for Mr. Arthur. hmmmm
What's the deal with Pixel's names? King. Arthur. And then King uses a blade? Did humans tell or give the story of King Arthur to the Mimigas or something? lol
It has been theorised that King's sword belonged to Arthur.

Quote, Curly, the Colons, Balrog, King, Arthur, Santa, and Igor are all supposedly victims of some naming habit Pixel developed while creating Cave Story.

X-Calibar said:
The events of 10 years ago go something like this :
Scientists and Mimigas coexist together as they discover the secrets of the island, or study their culture.
At some point in time, the great secret of the island... the Demon Crown is discovered by some of the scientists. This information is passed on to the surface.

It is unclear, but some countries of the surface desire the power of the crown for some reason. However, this is not the desire of all countries. Quote and Curly are sent to destroy the Demon Crown, while the countries that desire the crown send a force of robots to gain the crown.
Miakid is probably a human who seeks the crown. Perhaps in charge of the invasion.
The invasion is not necessarily violent. Not at first. Robots are sent to the island to find the crown. Mimigas may know the secret of the crown, but now refuse to tell. Or perhaps the Mimigas now know of the scheme and desire to protect the crown, knowing the consequences...

At some point, the robots are given the order to tear apart the island, to find the crown. Some of the human scientists band together with the Mimigas to defend them, and the secret. But, the robots are killers and kill many...

Quote and Curly at last arrive upon the island, they have been sent to destroy the crown before it can be taken. They discover the island to be torn apart, and countless Mimiga dead... Their struggle to find the crown and destroy it before Crown is used begins.

Between the time the robots first invade and the time that Miakid gets the Crown, Jenka offers the Mimiga a way to fight the robots. An evil flower that has the power to turn their rage into true power... The Mimigas embrace the flower and use it to fend off the robots at last. But...

At some point Miakid gets his hands upon the Crown. The robots task is done. Whether Miakid is a loyal officer of the countries that attacked is unclear. It is possible, that instead of retrieving the Crown as ordered; the Crown seduces Miakid to don it. And just like the red power of Ballos, it begins to corrupt Miakid. Misery and Balrog are now awake, and they offer Miakid a grand plan to take the world...
Perhaps Miakid had secret feelings of discontent against the world. A world that relies on robots to wage war... It is uncertain.

The real tragedy begins when Miakid learns to control the crown to use the remaining Mimigas to begin a plan to wage war upon the earth, using the island as a base.

The battle against the earth begins, and Quote and Curly finally confront Miakid, Misery (and probably Balrog). They are able to injure Miakid, but something critical happens.

Quote and Curly's fate are unknown.

The plans Miakid started continue, and cause war to spread on the earth.
Miakid dies mysteriously.

The war comes to a close, but for some reason the island is left alone.
Did Jenka make a deal, or have an ace up her sleeve? Did the rest of the countries punish the countries that attacked the island? The details are unknown...

10 years later, a group of scientists and a Doctor arrive at the island. At some point the Doctor discovers the Crown and the rest is history...

@Brickman - I wish you luck in your prequel! As long as you don't take the title I've been saving for my prequel story... Cloud Story :(
I missed this one.

A few things:
- I am assuming that there were legends about the crown bearer prior to Miakid, the governments obviously wanted that power for themselves.
- From the way Jenka speaks when tells it, she didn't give them the red flowers. I think they learnt about the flowers by accident to be honest, some Mimiga at some point long ago probably ate a red flower instead of a yellow one.

Other than that, it seems pretty accurate and well written.

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:06 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Jesus Christ. I didn't realized the whole KING ARTHUR thing.
Omg. Everything makes sense now. King is Arthur's son. Maybe Arthur sacrified himself to protect his son. That's why King is now the leader. Arthur was the leader, it's normal for his son to keep reigning. And the blade... King's blade is prolly Arthur's blade... But that would make Toroko an aunt. King's aunt.

DISCUSS.

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:16 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
But King's older than Toroko. King's ruler of the village, she's just a little kid.

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:58 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
There is a connection between King and Arthur.. it's the friggin' sword! King and Arthur represent two aspects of King Arthur: the leader and the hero. Arthur is the hero, King is the leader.

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:02 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Maybe... King is Arthur's brother?
That would be possible.
But then, what is the meaning of "Toroko"? Someone go translate the name. NAO

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:31 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Toroko could be a play on the word 'Toroi' meaning 'slow' or 'stupid' and Tomoko. According to dydann co... :o

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:27 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
X-Calibar said:
Toroko could be a play on the word 'Toroi' meaning 'slow' or 'stupid' and Tomoko. According to dydann co... :o

Tomoko is a japanese name that means either "friendly child", "knowing child", or "wise child" depending on the kanji used.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:00 AM
JacobX891 said:
It doesn't have to MEAN anything. My mother didn't name me Jacob because of some faggot in the Christian bible. >.> Names are names. they don't MEAN anything. You're thinking too much. Go outside. Live.

They don't mean anything? lulz.
The fact that both King and Arthur shared the same blade and combining their names you get the name of a legendary knight IS A MEANING.

King + Arthur, duh.

I think looking at the meanings of the names may give us at least some idea of what Pixel had in mind when planning the character...
Maybe he just liked the name, but come to think of it:

Ballos is the name of a greek dance.
Balrog might be a reference to Tolkien's writings or M. Bison's USA name.

So, yeah..

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:04 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
don't you think this should be moved somewhere? :rolleyes:

Doesn't it look like King and Toro are siblings?