Arthur: who really was he?

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:10 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
That doesn't look like a flower and I don't see why the Mimigas would make statues of that...
It's just easier to draw a sign or something.

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:03 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
yeah your right.. could be anything we can imagine..

getting back to the topic

I'm imagining the research team/Sakamoto family met Arthur and talk about the island's geological features, why it's floating, etc.. and then they set up the teleporters in every places they visited. While Date visit the room where the crown is, being drawn by the evil power of the crown...

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:42 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
GuilhermeEin said:
Wow theories about the war make me speechless... All your points are valid, maybe what we just need is a prequel lol

Your other points are also mind-blowing... You seem to know more about the game than Pixel does lol

The prefab house (the building in Balcony) may be there for 10 years... When the war happened, humans were likely to land in the top of the island (Balcony) and stabilish a base there (Prefab house and other houses...?). The book inside the prefab house doesn't seem to belong to Date though. Maybe it's Momorin's, Itoh's or somebody else. I don't think the Doctor has any reason to record his adventures on the island like that...

One more thing: DO THE ***** PREQUEL FOR THIS GAME. you have the guts lol

YEAH! Ever since i found out about some mods like jenka's nightmare i've always wished that i could make a prequel that revolves around quote and curly before the crown is stolen by whoever it was who used it to do the same thing that the doctor was doing cause when you're collecting the puppies for Jenka she says
"I don't care who you
are, you're not getting
the key.
To open the storehouse
would invite that same
tragedy all over again..."
Although i'm not sure that this implies that one of the previous owners of the crown was doing the same thing that the doctor did but it's just a theory.
That or one where it revolves around the story of Arthur's story and his encounter with the "Red Demon" which i never really imagined to be the one you encounter at the last cave. I always imagined it to be something a little bit more like ballos but the stuff about saying "true heroes meet the: Red Demon makes it clear for me.

Right now i'm sort of working on a little mod that is a sequel to the bad ending.
And on a slightly unrelated matter, most people assume that all the owners of the crown used it's power's for evil but there is a chance that maybe one or two of the crown's owners used it's powers for good purposes?

And also, for all those who were saying that Jenka, Misery and Ballos originally lived on the island, i don't think they did cause when there's all that backstory about ballos at hell it says that Jenka confined him to the island which, correct me if i'm wrong, could imply that they didn't originally live there. I think Jenka just lived there cause she needed to make sure Ballos would never escape but that just got me thinking that if she could keep Ballos Trapped inside the Island surely she could somehow stop anyone who uses the crown for evil purposes.

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:41 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I would assume that the red flowers were grown there for the red flower war's final battle (against the soldiers from the surface). Where else did you think they would have obtained it, they obviously grew it themselves.

It is sad when you think how most Mimiga were dead, dying, or lost forever by then. Then Miakid stole the crown in the resulting chaos and tried to use the red flowers to turn the Mimiga into his own personal army. King looked to be the only adult Mimiga to survive. Ten years later Date (the doctor) stole the crown and followed suit. Horrible time to be a Mimiga let me tell ya!

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:18 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Uncy Dave said:
Right now i'm sort of working on a little mod that is a sequel to the bad ending.
Oh? I'm interested. I thought about doing that once but never really got into modding and sort of gave up. I'd be willing to help if you wanted it.

Sorry for being a tad off-topic o=

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:33 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I'm currently planning hoping to figure out how to make a mod starring Arthur and focusing on the previous war for the crown. I will start as soon as I have time to figure out the basics of the editor (I can edit maps all right, and make enemies and objects, but I haven't gotten to look at dialogue or doors yet). I was planning on him and everyone being adults, but this topic has morphed the idea in my mind and made me realize that making them children would make much more sense and, of course, be more interesting.

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:09 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Brickman said:
I'm currently planning hoping to figure out how to make a mod starring Arthur and focusing on the previous war for the crown. I will start as soon as I have time to figure out the basics of the editor (I can edit maps all right, and make enemies and objects, but I haven't gotten to look at dialogue or doors yet). I was planning on him and everyone being adults, but this topic has morphed the idea in my mind and made me realize that making them children would make much more sense and, of course, be more interesting.
Thing is, I don't think arthur gained hero status until he fought off the red demon, which I believe to be during the 10-year gap between Miakid's reign and Date's reign. Though there is a possibility that Arthur was the one who took down Miakid in his wounded state. The thing is that Arthur was still around until Date came along because he wasn't involved in the war.

The only character you would expect to have any decent involvement in the war and still be alive by the end of it is King. Though Zett was most likely around back then and Quote and Curly did fight Miakid, you will find that Zett wasn't involved due to his age and Quote and Curly's involvement at the time was nothing more than "try to kill Miakid", basically a short walk across balcony and a boss fight is all you could get storywise from Quote and Curly.

innocent.bystander said:
Solution: Ask Pixel.
You can't be serious can you? Pixel has only one answer for such questions, and it isn't helpful in the slightest:
Pixel said:
I leave that to the player's imagination.
And here is why:
TIGSource: The story of Doukutsu only hints at the world in which the game takes place. How much of this world have you created that we don't see in the game? Will we get to see more of it later on?

Pixel: Nothing of that world exists beyond what you see in the game, as I don't have the skills to construct anything further. I leave the details of Cave Story's world to the player's imagination.
http://www.tigsource.com/features/interview_pixel.html

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:08 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I don't see any reason Arthur couldn't be alive at that time, or why he couldn't have been made a hero then. As for Quote and Curly, I was actually planning on having Curly be a major (and playable at one point) character while Quote would be "elsewhere", mostly because I don't want to have to deal with him (one robot ally is all you need for any practical or plot purposes, so I'll take the one who can talk thankyouverymuch). Hint: I didn't say it started after he got the crown. King also gets a role, Jenka gets a role, Balrog and Misery get roles (the latter only near the end though), and one of the other villagers can have a minor role which mostly amounts to getting you the jetpack (probably Jack). The other mimigas are just bystanders.

Jan 12, 2009 at 10:48 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Brickman said:
I don't see any reason Arthur couldn't be alive at that time, or why he couldn't have been made a hero then.
I think that you misinterpreted what I said. I didn't say that he wasn't around, I said that he was uninvolved. Every Mimiga besides King that fought the final battle against the robot soldiers, utterly lost in their red flower stimulated madness, had never returned. Arthur was probably somewhat young back then and was most likely removed from the fighting.

Jan 12, 2009 at 11:24 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Well, that wasn't my interpretation. Just because King is the only one we see with the red eyes of flowerdom doesn't mean other people who we didn't see, say on account of them being dead or captured by the start of the game (or living somewhere else--that village probably couldn't even house all the mimigas we saw in plantation, rather less the larger population there must've been before the doctor attacked), couldn't have survived using them. That said, Arthur in my mod would NOT be using the flowers (how would I integrate that into gameplay anyways?); I was actually planning to have nobody from the villains use them until you pointed out just now that Jenka did confirm their use, though the changes necessary to have some of the other mimigas using them instead of just disappearing/dying are almost nil.

edit: On further thought I realized that idea was entirely stupid. Fortunately, I was already planning on referring to there being other villages, who presumably had more time to prepare. It'll work, I'm pretty sure.

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:34 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Unless Arthur and Toroko were born 10 or 15 years apart or something along those lines then I would assume that Arthur wasn't of age at the time. It is pretty obvious that the Mimiga children were kept away from the fighting.

Jan 13, 2009 at 4:15 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Answering that concern would totally spoil things, but I will say that that potential plot hole is entirely filled, and was from the first mental draft.

Jan 13, 2009 at 1:51 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Brickman said:
I don't see any reason Arthur couldn't be alive at that time, or why he couldn't have been made a hero then.
Too young?

Brickman said:
As for Quote and Curly, I was actually planning on having Curly be a major (and playable at one point) character while Quote would be "elsewhere",
If you're writing about the Miakid war, and you use Curly, you need Quote as well. They were a team then – it doesn't make sense to only have one of them.

Making her playable doesn't seem useful either – that would be just one boss fight!

Brickman said:
(one robot ally is all you need for any practical or plot purposes, so I'll take the one who can talk thankyouverymuch).
They both can and do talk. We just don't get to know what Quote says.

Brickman said:
Balrog and Misery get roles (the latter only near the end though),
Don't you think Misery should be an important villain?

Brickman said:
one of the other villagers can have a minor role which mostly amounts to getting you the jetpack (probably Jack).
Jack wouldn't have a jetpack. The jetpack was created by Booster, who came later.

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:24 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
1. Already dealing with the age thing, as I just said. You'll see if/when I actually get the thing made.

2. As I said, this starts before the crown is found, during the race to find it. In fact, finding the crown is a little after the halfway point in the planned levels. As Curly and Quote's mission was to find and destroy it before someone else could find and use it, it is perfectly reasonable for them to split up... and to have to get back up to the balcony before they can face Miakid, as that mission would inevitably take them into the island proper.

3. Yes, they can both talk, but we already have seen Curly's personality and know how she talks, whereas Quote is one of those "you fill in his personality" protagonists and making them suddenly start talking isn't usually a good idea except for humor, as someone else may not agree with your interpretation.

4. Misery becomes an important villain the moment the crown is found. Balrog shows up... considerably before that.

5. This wouldn't actually be booster's jetpack, but it would be a generic jetpack salvaged from a robot which happens to function the same as the booster v0.8.

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:45 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
JacobX891 said:
since they were sent around the same time the robots programmed to kill mimigas were sent.

CURLY SPEAKING TO QUOTE:
"Finally, one man got
the =Demon Crown= in
his possession."

"The robots' work was
done, and the island
fell silent."

"But that was just the
beginning of the tragedy."

"With the crown in hand,
the man turned the
Mimigas into killers"

"and began his assault
on the Earth."

"I tried to stop him."

"You were there too."

"....."

"That's...as far as I
can remember."

"I'm pretty sure we
were able to wound him."

"But we seemed far out
of our league..."

"Do you remember anything?"

Interesting..
Thinking about it, the soldiers in the war were only fighting the Mimiga.

Aaaaahhhh!
The girl walks over to inspect you.
Girl: Ooohhh!
The Mimigas wake up.
Girl: We have a VISITOR!
Girl: I know what it is you're looking for!
Girl: But wake up!
Girl: Mimigas aren't your enemies!
Girl: Mimigas are harmless!!
Girl: Too bad for you, but...
The girl pulls out a machine gun.
Girl: I'm on their side!
Girl: You win...
Girl: I can't fight anymore...
Girl: I suppose you're going to kill all the Mimigas, just like the other robots? [YES/NO]
Pick No.
Girl: Oh!
The girl gets up and walks to you.
Girl: You're with the Mimigas too?
Girl: That's right, there's nothing bad about them!
Girl: I'm Curly. Curly Brace.
Curly: When I woke up, I was with these children.
Curly: I don't have any memories before that...
Curly: Amnesia, you might say.
Curly: I was...probably a Mimiga-butcher just like the other robots...
Curly: Oh, wow.
Curly: That Polar Star of yours is in awful shape.
Curly: Do you want to trade it for my machine gun? [YES/NO]

Jenka: My my, how quick.
Jenka: That is indeed one of my dear puppies.
You give her the puppy.
Jenka: Hmmm...
Jenka: You're a soldier from the surface, aren't you.
Jenka: .....
Jenka: It wasn't long ago that hundreds of robots like you came to this island.
Jenka: Countless Mimigas perished at their hands.
Jenka: As did the humans who tried to protect them.
Jenka: Cornered, the Mimigas finally ingested the forbidden red flowers, and in their murderous rage began to strike back against the robots.
Jenka: Had the red flowers not existed, the Mimigas might have vanished entirely from the island...
Jenka: Three more left.Good luck.
Jenka: Oooh.
Jenka: Yes, yes.
Jenka: That is certainly one of my darling puppies.
You give her the puppy.
Jenka: Thank you kindly. We're up to three now...
Jenka: Have you ever seen a frenzied Mimiga?
Jenka: The cornered Mimigas hoped that the red flowers would grant them strength.
Jenka: They ate them, and then they fought the robots.
Jenka: However...
Jenka: Do you know what happened to them afterwards?
Jenka: It is a sad tale...
Jenka: The enraged Mimigas, likely unable to control their own actions, disappeared without a trace.
Jenka: If rumors are to be trusted, they descended to the surface, where humans live.
Jenka: An army of ferocious Mimigas loosed upon the earth...
Jenka: If that were true...
Jenka: Do you understand now?
Jenka: Do you understand how dangerous the red flowers are?
Jenka: Two more to go...

Holy crap! I just realised my mistake. The war came after Miakid's reign! *facepalm*

- Miakid, using robot soldiers, took over the island and stole the crown.
- Miakid experiments with the red flowers on the Mimiga population for some world domination scheme.
- Curly and Quote attack Miakid and wound him, but fail to kill him.
- Miakid dies.. somehow. *shrug*
- World governments send robot soldiers to eradicate the Mimiga population as a preventive measure.
- Countless Mimiga and Humans die before the red flowers were eaten, the robots defeated, and almost the entire adult Mimiga population lost.
- The human explorer remnants possibly *shrug* become what we call the Cthulthu.
- Arthur fights off the Red Demon during the ten year gap.
- Date takes the crown ten years after the war and tries to follow in Miakid's footsteps.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:40 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Interesting. I read it as:

-Everybody and their brother from the surface tries to steal the crown with robot soldiers.
-Many of these robots slaughter mimigas, for whatever reason--possibly at first a few used excessive force in trying to get the mimigas to lead them to the crown, in vain, which escalated as unprovoked acts of international violence tend to do into a full-fledged war.
-Robots are very much winning this war.
-Mimigas, now desperate, use red flowers to give them an edge in war, keeping them from being obliterated.
-Miakid finds the crown. After perhaps trying his defenses once or twice, other robots go home, objective no longer obtainable. His robots likely become ignored in favor of new minions.
-This whole time Curly and Quote have been trying to destroy the crown before it could be claimed. Now that it's been claimed, there's even more pressure on them to do so.
-Miakid wages war on the surface with his new army of monsters.
-Curly and Quote try to stop Miakid. Their degree of success is unknown, as Curly can't remember the outcome and Quote remembers nothing at all, but they at least wounded and possibly killed him at the expense of both having the crap beaten out of themselves, Quote even worse than Curly. Curly wakes up some time later with no memory and lives quietly in sand zone with some mimiga children, while Quote spends the next ten years performing some sort of automated repairs (alternately, he spends the next ten years simply dormant until an intercepted signal from Kazuma to Sue happens to pass him and trip some flags, him waking up).
-If not already in the previous step, Miakid dies.
-Nobody tries to claim the crown (at least not militarily or successfully) for ten years. It is unclear if this is because they thought it was destroyed, they were recovering from the war (unlikely), or some treaties sprang up which meant anybody who tried would be bombed to the stone age long before they got it.
-At some point in the interim, Arthur defends the mimigas from the red demon.
-Date, getting to the island in the company of a group of researchers and possibly with some inside information, gets the crown.
-Date disposes of the other researchers (or at least tries to) and attempts to get his hands on the flowers so he can repeat Miakid's war.
-Quote wakes up and begins mucking things up. He stirs Curly into action too, or at least enough action to draw Misery's attention, which REALLY spurs her into action.
-Date finds the flower seeds and begins trying to produce a usable crop as quickly as possible.
-Date also does research on the flowers, and finds a way to get their effect to work on humans too. Needless to say, that's a nasty weapon.
-Just as he's in the final stages of preparation, Quote reaches Date and kills him. With some effort.
-Quote and Curly may or may not be contacted by one of the enchanted talking dogs that they need to kill Ballos, and if so go on to kill him, destroying the crown forever. If not, they likely assume it is destroyed along with Date, as does the world at large, possibly for a long time...
-Interestingly, that last point means that other than losing contact with that one small research group, the surface world may have never even known there was another attempt at stealing the crown. At least not until after the fact, as surely they'd have some contact with someone on the island eventually.

My thinking is that the fact that Misery can transform humans into mimigas suggests that the mimigas were artificially created and introduced to the island, by Misery, far in the past. Why would she, or her master at the time, want mimigas? Because she also created the red flowers, which could turn them into vicious monsters to be set lose in enemy territory. That would imply that the flowers have been around as long as the mimigas, which is longer than any of them can remember. Remember, at some point in the past there wasn't even a floating island, so everything on there had to be added at some point, and we are led to believe there's no mimigas on the surface. The only alternative I can see to this one is if Jenka made the mimigas to populate the island, possibly feeling bad about how empty and desolate the island was and feeling lonely as she needed to stay there either to guard or to comfort Ballos, but that's not my personal theory.

Also, you left off an important part of the conversation in the plantation. Specifically, the part which includes something like "But we were different. We were sent here to destroy it." Since you've obviously got a save right there, could you post the rest of that speech? I'm sure it'll support one or both of our sides.

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:51 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Brickman said:
-Everybody and their brother from the surface tries to steal the crown with robot soldiers.
Miakid was actually sent by the governments from what I remember. So I assume that the governments either want the crown, or want it destroyed. But since Curly and Quote's "destroy the crown" mission was different, I would then assume that they were sent to retrieve the crown.

Brickman said:
-Many of these robots slaughter mimigas, for whatever reason--possibly at first a few used excessive force in trying to get the mimigas to lead them to the crown, in vain, which escalated as unprovoked acts of international violence tend to do into a full-fledged war.
From what curly said, I would be led to believe that the sole purpose of those robots was to kill Mimiga, in fact she nearly killed Quote over it.

Brickman said:
-Robots are very much winning this war.

-Mimigas, now desperate, use red flowers to give them an edge in war, keeping them from being obliterated.
True.

Brickman said:
-Miakid finds the crown. After perhaps trying his defenses once or twice, other robots go home, objective no longer obtainable. His robots likely become ignored in favor of new minions.
Robot Army vs Misery and Balrog? I would keep both. But then again, government issue, they might turn on him.

Brickman said:
-This whole time Curly and Quote have been trying to destroy the crown before it could be claimed. Now that it's been claimed, there's even more pressure on them to do so.
They were sent with the robots from 10 years ago, that probably means that they had the task of destroying the crown while Miakid and his government-issue robot army were sent to retrieve it for the government. Then Miakid took the crown for himself. Figures.

Brickman said:
-Miakid wages war on the surface with his new army of monsters.
You mean "Mimiga" or "Ravil"/"Rabil", right?

Brickman said:
-Curly and Quote try to stop Miakid. Their degree of success is unknown, as Curly can't remember the outcome and Quote remembers nothing at all, but they at least wounded and possibly killed him at the expense of both having the crap beaten out of themselves, Quote even worse than Curly. Curly wakes up some time later with no memory and lives quietly in sand zone with some mimiga children, while Quote spends the next ten years performing some sort of automated repairs (alternately, he spends the next ten years simply dormant until an intercepted signal from Kazuma to Sue happens to pass him and trip some flags, him waking up).
Quote and Curly didn't kill him. The Mimiga or the robot army he pissed off probably finished him off. But it will be forever unknown. Otherwise, true.

Brickman said:
-If not already in the previous step, Miakid dies.
Yep.

Brickman said:
-Nobody tries to claim the crown (at least not militarily or successfully) for ten years. It is unclear if this is because they thought it was destroyed, they were recovering from the war (unlikely), or some treaties sprang up which meant anybody who tried would be bombed to the stone age long before they got it.
They, of course, attacked the Mimiga, but you were purposefully steering away from that right?

Brickman said:
-At some point in the interim, Arthur defends the mimigas from the red demon.
True.

Brickman said:
My thinking is that the fact that Misery can transform humans into mimigas suggests that the mimigas were artificially created and introduced to the island, by Misery, far in the past. Why would she, or her master at the time, want mimigas?
She didn't create Mimigas, her power doesn't work like that.

Brickman said:
Because she also created the red flowers, which could turn them into vicious monsters to be set lose in enemy territory.
The flowers power, as well as the demon crown's power, stems from the insanity that is Ballos' magic. At one point they were normal flowers I would assume.

Brickman said:
Remember, at some point in the past there wasn't even a floating island, so everything on there had to be added at some point, and we are led to believe there's no mimigas on the surface. The only alternative I can see to this one is if Jenka made the mimigas to populate the island, possibly feeling bad about how empty and desolate the island was and feeling lonely as she needed to stay there either to guard or to comfort Ballos, but that's not my personal theory.
“Jenka, seeing her brother’s madness, confined him to this floating island.
That was the most she could do.
Even as he was, she could not bring herself to kill her own brother…”

She confined him to the island. There is nothing about her creating the island.

Brickman said:
Also, you left off an important part of the conversation in the plantation. Specifically, the part which includes something like "But we were different. We were sent here to destroy it." Since you've obviously got a save right there, could you post the rest of that speech? I'm sure it'll support one or both of our sides.
Sorry, my computer is dead at the moment, so I can't.

Though if you want saves, there are hundreds on the tribute site.

Though the main difference between myself and you is that you just want events to fit your mod. I, on the other hand, am trying to neatly piece events together.

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:11 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
The events of 10 years ago go something like this :
Scientists and Mimigas coexist together as they discover the secrets of the island, or study their culture.
At some point in time, the great secret of the island... the Demon Crown is discovered by some of the scientists. This information is passed on to the surface.

It is unclear, but some countries of the surface desire the power of the crown for some reason. However, this is not the desire of all countries. Quote and Curly are sent to destroy the Demon Crown, while the countries that desire the crown send a force of robots to gain the crown.
Miakid is probably a human who seeks the crown. Perhaps in charge of the invasion.
The invasion is not necessarily violent. Not at first. Robots are sent to the island to find the crown. Mimigas may know the secret of the crown, but now refuse to tell. Or perhaps the Mimigas now know of the scheme and desire to protect the crown, knowing the consequences...

At some point, the robots are given the order to tear apart the island, to find the crown. Some of the human scientists band together with the Mimigas to defend them, and the secret. But, the robots are killers and kill many...

Quote and Curly at last arrive upon the island, they have been sent to destroy the crown before it can be taken. They discover the island to be torn apart, and countless Mimiga dead... Their struggle to find the crown and destroy it before Crown is used begins.

Between the time the robots first invade and the time that Miakid gets the Crown, Jenka offers the Mimiga a way to fight the robots. An evil flower that has the power to turn their rage into true power... The Mimigas embrace the flower and use it to fend off the robots at last. But...

At some point Miakid gets his hands upon the Crown. The robots task is done. Whether Miakid is a loyal officer of the countries that attacked is unclear. It is possible, that instead of retrieving the Crown as ordered; the Crown seduces Miakid to don it. And just like the red power of Ballos, it begins to corrupt Miakid. Misery and Balrog are now awake, and they offer Miakid a grand plan to take the world...
Perhaps Miakid had secret feelings of discontent against the world. A world that relies on robots to wage war... It is uncertain.

The real tragedy begins when Miakid learns to control the crown to use the remaining Mimigas to begin a plan to wage war upon the earth, using the island as a base.

The battle against the earth begins, and Quote and Curly finally confront Miakid, Misery (and probably Balrog). They are able to injure Miakid, but something critical happens.

Quote and Curly's fate are unknown.

The plans Miakid started continue, and cause war to spread on the earth.
Miakid dies mysteriously.

The war comes to a close, but for some reason the island is left alone.
Did Jenka make a deal, or have an ace up her sleeve? Did the rest of the countries punish the countries that attacked the island? The details are unknown...

10 years later, a group of scientists and a Doctor arrive at the island. At some point the Doctor discovers the Crown and the rest is history...

@Brickman - I wish you luck in your prequel! As long as you don't take the title I've been saving for my prequel story... Cloud Story :eek:

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:39 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Though the main difference between myself and you is that you just want events to fit your mod. I, on the other hand, am trying to neatly piece events together.
Wrong. Everything I have said was the way I interpreted the plot the very first time I played and every subsequent time I played. All that I'm altering for the sake of my mod is what Arthur did, what specifically Quote and Curly did during the time they were searching for the crown, some fudging of the timetable, some expanding/defining of the crown's powers, an admittedly entirely unlikely scenario for when Miakid is finally confronted, and some other details involving minor characters during a time when none of the spotlight was on them anyways. And I'm not holding any of that to be cannon for the original game, any more than I consider Jenka's Nightmare a cannon epilogue or any other mod to be cannon except within the context of that mod. That said, I have changed some of my plans both to match the refining of my understanding of events that this topic has caused and to compensate for some plot holes it's made me notice.

Miakid was actually sent by the governments from what I remember. So I assume that the governments either want the crown, or want it destroyed. But since Curly and Quote's "destroy the crown" mission was different, I would then assume that they were sent to retrieve the crown.

I really meant "Every surface government and possibly some other powerful groups".

Robot Army vs Misery and Balrog? I would keep both. But then again, government issue, they might turn on him.

No, I meant robot army vs frenzied mimiga army.

You mean "Mimiga" or "Ravil"/"Rabil", right?
Once fed the red flowers, they are effectively vicious monsters until it wears off, if it's even possible for it to wear off nonfatally. Especially from his perspective.

Quote and Curly didn't kill him. The Mimiga or the robot army he pissed off probably finished him off. But it will be forever unknown. Otherwise, true.
As I said, Pixel left it intentionally vague what happened when they confronted him.

They, of course, attacked the Mimiga, but you were purposefully steering away from that right?
As I said, my impression was that the war Jenka spoke of happened before the crown was found, not after.

She didn't create Mimigas, her power doesn't work like that.
As with everything else, nothing conclusive was written in-game to verify one way or the other how Misery's powers worked, but it is explicitly stated that she can turn humans into mimigas, and did that to both Sue and Itoh.

The flowers power, as well as the demon crown's power, stems from the insanity that is Ballos' magic. At one point they were normal flowers I would assume.
I will admit that this is a very compelling second half to my alternate theory of the source of the mimigas.

She confined him to the island. There is nothing about her creating the island.
True. The game never did specify the origin of the island, other than that it is most likely unnatural (what with, you know, being kept in the air by a well-guarded machine, among other things).

edit: Oh hey, guess which map I happened to be looking at the script of to get my bearings on the way it works when I noticed something interesting. If you guessed Plantation, you're right!

"I remember now.
Your name's Quote!
You and I...
Right...
Back then, a huge
number of robots were
sent to this island
from countries on the
Earth's surface.
Their target was the
awesome power kept
within this island...
The =Demon Crown=.
But you and I, we were
different.
The two of us were sent
in order to destroy that
power.
When we got here,
the island was in
a shambles.
The robots had torn it
all to pieces...
And countless Mimigas
had been slaughtered...
It was...terrible...
Finally, one man got
the =Demon Crown= in
his possession.
The robots' work was
done, and the island
fell silent.
But that was just the
beginning of the tragedy.
With the crown in hand,
the man turned the
Mimigas into killers
and began his assault
on the Earth.
I tried to stop him.
You were there too.
That's...as far as I
can remember.
I'm pretty sure we
were able to wound him.
But we seemed far out
of our league...
Do you remember anything?"

Seems to pretty strongly imply that they arrived during the searching phase.

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:07 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Brickman said:
The robots had torn it
all to pieces...
And countless Mimigas
had been slaughtered...
It was...terrible...
I guess I was wrong about the war happening after. I apologise.

Brickman said:
Seems to pretty strongly imply that they arrived during the searching phase.
I had already pointed that out earlier.

Brickman said:
I will admit that this is a very compelling second half to my alternate theory of the source of the mimigas.
It is confirmed for the crown in the best ending (after beating ballos). But there is no plan behind Ballos' magic, in the case of the red flowers or crown, it just corrupts whatever it touches.

Brickman said:
As with everything else, nothing conclusive was written in-game to verify one way or the other how Misery's powers worked, but it is explicitly stated that she can turn humans into mimigas, and did that to both Sue and Itoh.
But the way she does it is not a purely physical change. Balrog when changed into Balfrog kept his old attacks, the only difference was an increase in weight and jumping ability. If misery's ability works the way you suggest, then it would be impossible to revert it for even one second, and we all know that isn't true. Misery is simply not powerful enough to rearrange the structure of matter of something that large (if at all).

Brickman said:
Once fed the red flowers, they are effectively vicious monsters until it wears off, if it's even possible for it to wear off nonfatally. Especially from his perspective.
How to get everyone out of a frenzied state effectively:
Step 1 - Kill Ballos until dead.

Otherwise I would think it would take too long to clear from your system, that is if the magic ever lets go of you afterwards.

When they say that Ballos was insane and incredibly powerful, don't you feel glad that he was wasting most of his energies on bringing down the island than wasting it all on killing you? 3 guesses on what the Core actually did (p.s. it is not "make the island float").

Brickman said:
No, I meant robot army vs frenzied mimiga army.
Minions isn't the right word. You point them in a direction then sit back and watch. If you get in their way then you would be killed as well.

Brickman said:
source of the mimigas.
I am willing to bet that they have always lived there. I doubt that Jenka created the island, and the context certainly doesn't suggest it, she just used what was already there.