Arthur: who really was he?

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:37 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
This question poped recently in my mind...
Come to think of it: in his house there was a mini lab, computers, a teleporter...
His house was the biggest also, prolly because he was the hero and etc.

And the most interesing: RED FLOWARS. Maybe Arthur was hosting booster and both researching about the red flowars?

DISCUSS

Dec 28, 2008 at 4:08 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Arthur was the leader of the village, I expect.

Dec 28, 2008 at 4:56 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Yeah, that everybody knows.

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:08 PM
This Troper
He used the red flowers to defeat the Red Demon. Everybody knows that... Well, okay, it's just a speculation, and it has already been discussed on the forum somewhere, but just to remind: Arthur was "true hero to the Mimigas", and the credits state that "true heroes meet the Red Demon". Furthermore, IIRC, somewhere in the game it is said that Arthur defeated some big red guy.
About that quipment, I always thought Sue got it there. Or whatever. It's just a teleporter and a computer that controls it. It could serve as some sort of Waypoint.

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:19 PM
Maybe the Red Demon serves as a test for new heroes? Because Quote surely battles him when you choose the best ending path.

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:04 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
T-Jack said:
Arthur was "true hero to the Mimigas", and the credits state that "true heroes meet the Red Demon".
This is merely due to the fact that having the Red Demon appear is the/an indicator that the 'true' ending has been unlocked, and defeating hell makes you a 'true' hero. Sort of a hint-given-after-the-fact-type-thing.

Arthur's house has always wondered me though, since it's the only building anywhere in Mimiga Village that contains any computer technology. Then there's the odd pool of water and the red flowers in the basement... but it's possible that Arthur just didn't go downstairs much. :p

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:00 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
DoubleThink said:
This is merely due to the fact that having the Red Demon appear is the/an indicator that the 'true' ending has been unlocked, and defeating hell makes you a 'true' hero. Sort of a hint-given-after-the-fact-type-thing.

Arthur's house has always wondered me though, since it's the only building anywhere in Mimiga Village that contains any computer technology. Then there's the odd pool of water and the red flowers in the basement... but it's possible that Arthur just didn't go downstairs much. :D

I always thought of Arthur as that "lone hermit that everybody knows is a little crazy but are still thankful he's around" kinda thing. And the whole red flower thing could be related to the previous crown bearer. Mayber Arthur was the original test subject for the flowers? Maybe he struck a deal with the previous king to protect the rest of the Mimigas?

Speculations, of course.

Dec 30, 2008 at 5:36 PM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Lone hermit? Toro is his sis' and that doesn't sound.... lonely. Or hermitty.

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:36 AM
toroko is his sister? are you sure?

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:31 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
That was mentioned in-game I think.

i somehow have this feeling arthur isn't dead

Was Arthur killed by The Doctor?

If so, I have a feeling he might be Cthulthu.

If not, then I have this feeling that he got killed by the Red Demon, and whoever gets killed by the Red Demon becomes the next Red Demon.

Just a thought, really. :/ No real basis

Dec 31, 2008 at 11:48 AM
This Troper
jcys810 said:
That was mentioned in-game I think.

i somehow have this feeling arthur isn't dead

Was Arthur killed by The Doctor?

If so, I have a feeling he might be Cthulthu.

If not, then I have this feeling that he got killed by the Red Demon, and whoever gets killed by the Red Demon becomes the next Red Demon.

Just a thought, really. :/ No real basis
Arthur was killed by Doctor's goons. Said in-game.

I wonder when did he die, though, given that the remaining Mimigas had enough time to set up a large gravestone, which they clearly do not possess technology to create, in an area full of enemies.

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:37 PM
Also, I guess the time between the first strike of the doctor and the game start(as Quote) wasn't that long. Let's say, Doctor attacked the island and a week later or less Quote awakens. In this time Arthur could've been killed, etc.

Jan 1, 2009 at 11:55 PM
"Huzzah!"
GuilhermeEin said:
Also, I guess the time between the first strike of the doctor and the game start(as Quote) wasn't that long. Let's say, Doctor attacked the island and a week later or less Quote awakens. In this time Arthur could've been killed, etc.

I agree now lets say which of the doctors goons killed him I say balrog cause he's fully

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:49 PM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
But killing is a lie.

And I think a week's too quick for the red flowers to bloom ain't it

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:53 PM
Only Manny Calavera can solve this mystery

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:49 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
i bet he was a test subject on the red flowers and saved te village from total destruction in a rage against the doctors goons but was killed and the red flowerness in his body after buried had a reaction with the mushroom s and made them alive to terrorize the grave yard and wtf is up with that gravekeeper thing?

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:14 PM
In front of a computer
T-Jack said:
I wonder when did he die, though, given that the remaining Mimigas had enough time to set up a large gravestone, which they clearly do not possess technology to create, in an area full of enemies.
It's not an area full of enemies. If you mean the mushrooms, they're a recent development – they wouldn't've been there when he was buried. Besides which they're not even around his grave.

tmntyoshi said:
i bet he was a test subject on the red flowers and saved te village from total destruction in a rage against the doctors goons but was killed and the red flowerness in his body after buried had a reaction with the mushroom s and made them alive to terrorize the grave yard and wtf is up with that gravekeeper thing?
Sounds like a plausible theory, but I don't think it's quite right. He probably did use the Red Flowers (along with King) in the earlier battle against a Demon Crown bearer (the one before the Doctor), or maybe against the robots from the surface, but he seems to have recovered from it. And I somehow doubt he would use them again after the first experience.

Jan 3, 2009 at 9:24 PM
I'd like to read background story from Pixel himself...
Much like the Ballos story when you are passing through Hell...
I'm curious about the previous owners of the Demon Crown, the war against the Robots, Arthur...
Ugh, >_<

Jan 3, 2009 at 10:56 PM
This Troper
Celtic Minstrel said:
It's not an area full of enemies. If you mean the mushrooms, they're a recent development – they wouldn't've been there when he was buried. Besides which they're not even around his grave.
Just played through the first part again. Not a word about "recent development", the only hint might be that Present Perfect Jack uses when he talks about the mushrooms, but what do we know? They could've been springing up for a few months now. The fact that they're not at the gravesite doesn't change anything about the fact that you have to get around those mushrooms to get there. Jump over? Yeah right, with a chunk of stone as big as yourself strapped to your back. Not posible even if you're an ugly rabbit monster...

GuilhermeEin said:
I'd like to read background story from Pixel himself...
Much like the Ballos story when you are passing through Hell...
I'm curious about the previous owners of the Demon Crown, the war against the Robots, Arthur...
Ugh, >_<
Dude, there is no background story!

Jan 4, 2009 at 12:49 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I always thought King's Blade was originally Arthur's Blade... But, now that I look back and read again, I can't find any evidence to support that.

As for the mushrooms appearing in the graveyard, making it dangerous... and the monsters across the island. I always thought it was the because the Demon Crown was being worn, allowing Ballos' madness to spread across the island a little... [like the Red Flowers, but more of a very discrete craziness that affects more primal creatures] I mean are bats always so willing to attack... Robots? *CHOMPs on metal* You'd think they wouldn't want to try to eat Quote...
Jack says the mushrooms only appeared recently, which supports the theory; but Arthur was killed by the Doctor's goons, and they buried him in that large grave... probably before mushrooms appeared...

Hmm one possiblity is... that Arthur used the Red Flower to fight the Doctor's goons... And after being buried in the ground, it caused bad things to happen in the surrounding area; like the dangerous mushrooms...

Another possiblity is... that the creatures of the island don't just immedately go bonkers, and that the longer the Crown is worn, the great the Red effect could be on the creatures of the island...

yet another possiblity is... that Arthur's spirit is restless, he died in a bad way and his ghost or something could still be around... [aren't mushrooms near a grave a bad sign or something according to folklore?]

What about Arthur's house and all the equipment and the Red Flowers? ...
Well, I believe the equipment was probably there before Sue and the others arrived on the island. The teleporters are scattered in places on the island like the Labyrinth, which I don't think they could have been to...
I would imagine the network of teleporters, and the computers were left from the 10+ years ago when lots of humans and scientists were on the island. Even if I don't think they brought the computers and teleporters to Arthur's house. They have plenty of experience using the technology left on the island... So at least you can guess that it's not too old. Don't forget the Underwater cabin, with the dusty notebook and impossible location, it was probably not setup on this visit.

As for the Red Flowers underneath the house... Especially if Arthur actually didn't use them, why are they there? or did Arthur use them? ...
Well one thing, the farmer knows about red flowers, except he says it makes your blood boil!! It's bad!! And King didn't even know about the flowers... In fact, the entire Mimiga Shovel Brigade were happily getting plants ready. That makes me think that Arthur probably didn't use the flowers, at least not by eating them like the frenzied Mimigas which are stuck like that until death or destroying the core...

Jack says Arthur singlehandedly fended off the Red Demon of the island. Not killed him. I always pictured Arthur from Jack's description with the Blade in hand... [plus he was called a Warrior] I really think the Blade might have been originally Arthur's... [at least it makes a dramatic image]
Toroko's brother Arthur fought against a horrific red monster... The terrible demon of this island that feasts on Mimigas. It's not the Doctor, it's... something else. That demon has lived on this island for ages. It came here to the village, but Arthur single-handedly drove it back. His gallant figure alone shielding our village from harm... I'll never forget it, as long as I live. He may have finally been killed by the Doctor, but he was a true hero.
Wonderful image of him shielding the village from harm... I don't think he would have been so wonderful looking if he was a red eyed freak!!! I mean a frenzied mimiga...

Well here's something I just realized... Why did Quote wake up... and when did the Mushrooms start to appear? About the same time? Is it possible, Arthur had something to do with Quote's revival? We know that King possessed the Blade when he died... Did Arthur somehow use his spirit to awaken Quote? I'd think there's a good chance that Quote or Curly knew Arthur from the 10 years ago...
Although there's the direct possiblity that Kazuma... accessing THAT particular computer, in the shut off part of Grasstown could have had some kind of link to Quote. I'm sure Kazuma and the others used computers before that time and Quote didn't awaken. Including he didn't awaken when the Crown was activated again... So... maybe that place in Grasstown had significance. It was sealed shut/rusted? and Grasstown was probably a major place in the 10 years ago... [MALCO makes bombs!] And I always thought that hover bike belonged to Curly personally... it probably served Quote nad Curly well... [of course Kazuma wrecks the thing the moment he gets on lol... sad...]

I'm reminded of one more question... Why did Sue and the others come to the island anyways? In her letter it is said they came to the island for "research"...

But. Why were they allowed to go to the island that caused the War 10 years ago? Why just a few scientists that apparently had connections to each other? Last time countries from across the world led a race to the crown on the island which ended in disaster... Plus there used to be a lot of scientists on the island, which gave their lives to defend the Mimiga...

From the looks of the island there are no other humans on the island besides perhaps the gunsmith and Jenka [not sure what Cthulu is...]
Such a dangerous place to the rest of the world seems like it doesn't have many humans living there anymore. You'd think if they sent another expedition there would be some countermeasures in place to make sure another incident occured...

So either, the island has been off-limits...
and maybe they got special permission to go to the island. [but why didn't they get any help from the world when the Doctor went bad?]
or maybe they snuck onto the island for some purpose?

Or the rest of the world has been severely destroyed... [noone can do anything about the island]
etc.. lol

Well anyways maybe that's some food for thought...
Mmmm *chomp*
!!