Arthur and Miakkid?

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
After reading this little snippet of information from someone's dead Cave Story prequel:
I also included sprites and dialogue portrait for the main antagonist, Miakkid. He was around before the original story at the same time as Arthur and they supposedly fought.
I couldn't help but wonder if this is true.
I mean, Miakkid was supposedly fought by Quote and Curly, but it's unclear to who defeated him. I know the text only says that they fought, and it's not exactly a reliable source, but it's still worth noting.
What do you guys think?

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:28 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
The theory concerning Quote and Curly fighting miakid is very loosely based on curly's description of events, but it isn't necessarly true.

As to my thoughts for it, it makes sense, up until you put arthur in.

Remember, arthur is famous for slaying the red demon, not fighting miakid. and from the cs's context, I don't think arther died a old man(mimiga). so I don't think he ever experienced the robot invasion. Though I do believe he did consume a number of red flowers.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:29 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I am not aware of any content in Cave Story that strongly advocates the idea that Arthur fought Miakid, but there's not really anything to disprove it either, to my awareness. I think it's entirely possible that a warrior as mighty as Arthur could have defeated a wounded Miakid.

Goerge Bobicles said:
I don't think [Arthur] ever experienced the robot invasion.
According to Toroko and Jack, Arthur died at the hand of one of the Doctor's servants (presumably Misery). The Doctor seized the Demon Crown some time after the research group arrived on the island, and they couldn't have possibly arrived on the island that long before the events of Cave Story. So when the game begins, I don't think Arthur had been dead for all that long. For Arthur to have never seen the robot invasion, then he'd have to be ten or younger by the time he died. I guess there's no official statement on the lifespan of a Mimiga, but if I were to guess, I'd say Mimigas are still children by the time they're ten. And Arthur couldn't possibly have fended off the Red Demon when he was even younger than ten, could he have? Therefore, I believe that Arthur was around during the war ten years prior to the events of Cave Story.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:56 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
HaydenStudios said:
According to Toroko and Jack, Arthur died at the hand of one of the Doctor's servants (presumably Misery). The Doctor seized the Demon Crown some time after the research group arrived on the island, and they couldn't have possibly arrived on the island that long before the events of Cave Story.

Does this mean that I forgot a critical part of Sue's Story when the doctor attacked the mimiga village?

From what was said, it looks like Arthur died very, very, shortly before the events of Cave Story.

Dec 31, 2013 at 5:04 AM
Based Member
Bombchu Link said:
According to Toroko and Jack, Arthur died at the hand of one of the Doctor's servants (presumably Misery). The Doctor seized the Demon Crown some time after the research group arrived on the island, and they couldn't have possibly arrived on the island that long before the events of Cave Story.
Does this mean that I forgot a critical part of Sue's Story when the doctor attacked the mimiga village?

From what was said, it looks like Arthur died very, very, shortly before the events of Cave Story.
Depends on what meets your definition for a "very, very short" period of time. Based on what I think I know, the amount of time elapsed between Arthur's death and Quote waking up could have been as long as two months, or as short as a week.

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I think it's only certain that Arthur fought the Red Demon

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:56 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
HaydenStudios said:
Depends on what meets your definition for a "very, very short" period of time. Based on what I think I know, the amount of time elapsed between Arthur's death and Quote waking up could have been as long as two months, or as short as a week.
But if he died when the Doctor went to pick up the mimiga from the village...

This means Sue's Story is broken/not cannon in that aspect.

I think that just around/before Sue shows up in the mimiga village the Doctor attacks the village and "One of his servants" kills Arthur.

This may also lead to the Doctor not being present when Arthur is killed.

.....could have been as long as two months, or as short as a week.

I don't see it being as long as two months, the Doctor wouldn't wait that long after he had gained the crown to attack the village and gather the mimiga.

I see the events taking less then a week seeing that the Doctor is so power hungry by his actions on the balcony and making the Red crystal.

trickybilly said:
I think it's only certain that Arthur fought the Red Demon
Jack stated that one of the Doctor Servants killed Arthur.

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:24 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Arthur fought the Red Demon/Ogre, drove him back (hence his hero status), and then later died not long before the start of CS at the hands of the Doctor. Since Misery and Balrog came looking for Sue during the opening minutes of CS you can assume that Sue wasn't in the village one way or the other when the Doctor killed Arthur. Arthur was likely a kid when Miakid was in power.

Bombchu Link said:
I think that just around/before Sue shows up in the mimiga village the Doctor attacks the village and "One of his servants" kills Arthur.

This may also lead to the Doctor not being present when Arthur is killed.
Actually it wasn't the "Doctor's goons" it was actually the Doctor himself.

Take these two separate lines from the AGTP translation:

But he was killed by one of the Doctor's goons.
He may have finally been killed by the Doctor, but he was a true hero.

They contradict each other, do they not?

The official translation, which is generally more accurate, says the Doctor himself did the job in both cases:

But he was killed by the Doctor himself.
Though Arthur was killed by the Doctor, he is still a real hero to us Mimiga.

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:26 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
So, given the probability that Arthur was, indeed a child when Miakid was in power, that still eaves one question. How long was Miakid's reign?
The page where I got this from (The brother of the developer of Cave Story 0) also mentions that Arthur is a kid, then later mentions that he fought Miakid further down the page.
If Miakid's reign lasted throughout an entire war, it had to have been at least a few years, assuming the war was 2 years+. Arthur would have defeated Miakid at the end of his reign, so I think (and really hope) that he would be technically old enough to slay Miakid, ending his reign.
So, in a hypothetical line of heroes to contrast the line of demon crown bearers, Quote: The Doctor and Arthur: Miakid(?)
I just really want this to be at least believable, or else an entire plot point of mine will be rendered pointless.

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:29 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I would be surprised if Miakid's reign was even a year long. Weeks or months would be a better measurement. He made far too many enemies. Plus if his reign ran on too long then the children Mimiga of the time, likely being the adults of now, would have a better understanding and/or recollection of the time than "red flowers are bad".