AQUA BARRIER (FULL RELEASE)

Dec 22, 2019 at 6:07 PM
"Huzzah!"
I decided to release this early, since I don't think I could do anymore work on it.
I'm so glad I could work on this project, but so sad that I won't be able to polish it anymore. I've burned myself out.
I hope you all enjoy this mod.

AQUA BARRIER
AQUA BARRIER is a Cave Story mod I've been working on with some others for the past 11 months now! You play as Aqua, a girl with no memory and wakes up in an odd cave. She soon finds Sue, who is also trapped in whatever place this is. Help Aqua escape this place and find magical beings called the Power Souls!

1577037646450.png
1577037652581.png
1577037662845.png

DOWNLOAD
SPEEDRUN.COM

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 2:25 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
This is a pretty fun mod, I like how it is a puzzle platformer and how it uses a level based system which is something that is less common with CS mods I've played. Definitely worth the play so far!
Capture.PNG

Feb 16, 2020 at 1:46 AM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I PLAYED THE DEMO AND I LOVE THIS EVEN MORE

This mod is a must-play for all new or returning players of the classic indie game, "Cave Story."

SO PLAY IT NOW OMGOMGOMGOGM

Thank you for your consideration.

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:31 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I did start playing this a while ago but I haven't finished it (currently saved at 54 souls), instead of waiting more I'll post some feedback now.

I was aware of the extended development cycle this mod had gone through but I was still surprised by how comprehensive it was, particularly seeing as it's still unfinished. Designing a level-select mod around (mostly) having no weapons, especially one this size, is quite the leap to attempt, and it's really delivered in multiple capacities. I like the way the minimal story elements are presented and how they steadily unfold through player progress. The new tilesets and art in general are very good too, the bluey-greeny aesthetic works nicely. A lot rests on the levels themselves, considering the amount of paths it throws at you right from the start, and they're generally solid, interesting and just about the ideal length for something of this nature, with a few puzzle-ish elements here or there too. There were a few inconsistencies, predominantly several maps that had an excess of hearts everywhere or that used enemies that didn't do enough damage to really pose a threat (or both), and later on as I got more health it became increasingly easy to tank a spike or two and breeze on instead of trying to move carefully. While there's still some tightening up that could be done, the fact that you could put together this many weaponless levels using mainly vanilla elements without them ever feeling repetitive or cumbersome is something really commendable. This is probably the most plain fun I've had with a mod in a long time and I hope it does get polished off some day (from what I've seen you still have kinda been working on it?). I don't know how much was planned but based on how much content there is already I can't imagine there's a huge amount left to happen.

Feb 11, 2021 at 2:49 AM
"Huzzah!"
Last edited: