anybody still like pokemon

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:22 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Just a personally question lay it on me.

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:32 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I thought that fad died out in 2002

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:29 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I think it's pretty good.

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:19 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I'm pretty sure most of us here do. (Yes, fab included, in case your sarcasm meter is broken) It's still pretty popular.
As for me though, it's ok. I was into it more when I was younger but I began losing interest Gen 4. Skipped 5, and I got pretty into 6 but then just lost interest at the end. Myeh.

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:39 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I remember playing gen 2 when I was like, 4-6. Granted, I didn't know what the heck to do since I was still too young...
Around 8 or so, I got into Sapphire and liked it a lot. Don't remember my team or anything at all. (I do remember catching Rayquaza in a pokeball though.)
In middle school, I got into Diamond and it was my favorite pokemon game. I honestly like the 4th generation of pokemon. It's my favorite region to explore and play through. (Did a Diamond Solo Run with Buizel, but I sorta cheated near the end because of level grinding. Not through rock candies though)
I never did get into Gen 5 or Gen 6, but I do like Gen 6. I played a little bit of pokemon X on my little brother's game. Otherwise, Gen 5 kinda turned me off. There wasn't really any pokemon that I liked in it.

Blanket Statement: Yes, I do like pokemon. On one game that I play, my username is pokemon-related, but recently I have been using an alias.

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:11 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Compared to the other Pokémon games I've played, Gen 5 is garbage. My second run of Black 2 helped me appreciate the game more, but many things were off about it. Because of that, I've avoided Gen 6 and will probably never get another Pokémon game until Gen 3 remakes. I enjoy all generations before 5 almost equally as much, they're all pretty good. So, in short, I sort of like Pokémon still but my interest has severely declined for it.

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Dunc2403 said:
COOL trust me Gen 6 is waaaay better than Gen 5. It is seriously worth purchasing one of the games.
That's what everybody has been telling me. I feel like the odd one out, having a 3DS with no Pokémon. About a week or two ago, I made a blind purchase of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, even though I easily could have bought X or Y instead. Is it really that good? I hear it has terrible replay value (as far as Pokémon games go), and this is odd considering every generation before this has expanded the amount of stuff to do post-game.

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:24 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I can't vouch for the replay value, since I haven't yet beat the game due to being busy, but everything up to where I've played (which is up to Victory Road) has been amazing.

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM
War criminal
Well, I like Pokemon since Black and White came out. Before Black and White, I have always thought it was just the anime (which sucked after the original series, got kinda good at BW, and XY I haven't seen yet) so I've never heard of the games until I saw a few friends watch a guy play Pokemon Red.

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:59 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
I like Gen 2 the most cause my favorite Pokemon are there plus there are great spots to grind.

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:44 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
The only Pokemon game I thought was as good as people are always saying is Emerald. One of my favorite games.

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:09 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Had 600+ hours on Pokemon Silver. Unfortunately the internal battery died a few years back. That was the last time I had ever "caught 'em all".

I planned to "catch 'em all" for the 3rd gen before I ever worried about 4th gen or beyond (well except for Deoxys, stupid Deoxys). Still playing the third gen games, on an old-school GBA.

The anime is rubbish though.

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:36 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I've always loved Pokémon and will probably continue to enjoy it as time goes by. Even though I have many interests that tend to shift in and out of focus as time goes by, Pokémon is steadily a strong contender.

I grew up with Pokémon Gold and the silver Pikachu Game Boy Color, both inherited from my older brother. (I still have them both, but Gold's internal battery is dead.) I was young and ignorant, but I poured hours and hours into that game, bumbling around by persistence and luck, and leveling up my awkwardly unoriginal team...Feraligatr, Meganium, Typhlosion, Togetic, Ho-oh, and Lugia, all named with odd elemental terms like Aqua and Luma or obvious nicknames like Mint, what fun. (In later playthroughs I switched Ho-oh and Lugia out for an Umbreon (Reverse) and an Espeon(Rebirth), but still unoriginal. And yes, I was quite the glitcher even at that age and knew all about the cloning glitch.) Despite the many times I started a new file, I only once got far enough to beat the Elite Four and cross into Kanto, back when I still used Ho-oh and Lugia. The S.S Aqua and Kanto was such a magical place to me, with its new music and myriad of side-quests I had never seen before. It just had a nice feeling to it that lingers with me today. I think this was the last playthrough I ever used the two legendaries in, actually. I explored the Kanto region, using the harder gym leaders to raise my Lv 40 something Pokémon higher, and having lots of fun seeing this Kanto place I could previously only dream of. Eventually I managed to pass all of the requirements to unlock the legendary Mt. Silver. A boring place compared to the rest of Kanto, to be sure, but I spent quite a while there. At this point in time, all of my Pokémon were in their 65-70s - actually the strongest team levelwise that I've ever assembled. It took a very long time to get past the entirety of Mt. Silver, because exploring dark caves was never my thing (I never did find that guy who gives you Tyrogue...). But once I did, and I got to the top, I was amazed and terrified to learn that what awaited me at the top was not an item, or a legendary, or a new area or a pat on the back reward of some sort - it was Red. I could recognize the sprite that awaited me from anywhere. I knew much about Pokémon Red from what little access to the internet I had at the time, but miraculously I was never spoiled that I would actually meet the previous player. Gold is one of very few games I've played in my life that I wasn't spoiled on. I still enjoy games a lot even if I know that so-and-so is the final boss, or this-and-that happens in the middle. Knowing what happens doesn't detract too much from actually experiencing the event in question. But Gold...Gold was almost completely blind for me. It was so, so awesome. It took a year of constant trying-ragequit cycles to defeat him. The day of reckoning, I started up Gold very early in the morning. 5 AM, I suspect. I tried beating Red for the nth time, but to my amazement, this time went far better than any other. It took about 2 hours to finally, finally reign victorious. (Notably, even Lugia came down to a Struggle match he barely survived, and every single member of my team was fainted except for the last, who came terribly close. I don't think I had any healing items left by the end, either.) It was the closest match I've ever been in. When I landed the final blow, I was practically numb. And I just stared as Red vanished without a word, and as the game showed the credits for the last time. Gold's credits are really simple, but I don't think any other has had quite the same effect. This also happens to be the first time I ever put the Game Boy down as the credits finished, I had simply pushed the A button after defeating Lance. So it was the first time I ever heard The End, which is still among my favorite pieces of music to this day. And only Yami is a contender for Red as my favorite final battle.

And that was that. The upper limit. It would never get better than that. It's the only time I've ever defeated Red, because I started a new file afterwards. And although I continued playing Gold, I never got as far as the Elite Four, and it quietly passed away a few years after I completely finished it.

Later on I was given Pokémon Red and Mario Golf as a birthday present in a humble plastic bag presented at 3 in the morning. I was so delighted I immediately started playing - and actually finished the game by the end of the day, using nothing but Charizard. Of course, I started a new file then and played through the game more slowly, and the glitchy fun alone kept me playing for quite a while. I still have it, and I've recently started a legitimate playthrough for the first time since I got it using Pokémon I don't usually use (I released my starter early on, right now I have a Butterfree, a Jigglypuff, and a Pikachu I may or may not keep).

Pokémon Emerald was given as a gift from a friend just a few years ago. Featuring arguably the most successful and long-lasting save file since Gold's of so long ago, and my favorite Pokémon, Emerald is actually rather awesome despite its slightly yucky soundtrack and the terribly annoying Pkmn/Item switch in the battle menu. (Well, I'm used to it now. But seriously, Nintendo. Why.) Even though I 'be long beaten the Elite Four and I'm still at the Battle Frontier, Emerald is still going and enjoyable to play.

Pearl, ALSO a gift (do you see a trend?) was received about 2 years after Emerald. I had a lot of fun playing through it, as my first 3D Pokémon game and the first to use my DS. I got up to just outside the Elite Four, training my underleveled Lucario Reiki, when the game was stolen suddenly and for no reason. This was pretty crushing. I hope to get Pearl or Platinum again someday...

I've also rented HeartGold and Black for a week each. HeartGold was neat, and Black was rather awesome. I actually like Generation V, although I find Black2/White2 a bit distasteful, I could stand to play it. (But I definitely want Black someday.) And Generation VI just looks amazing. Sadly, I don't have a 3DS, so there's not even the possibility of playing it, but there's always the future.

Basically, yes, I still really like Pokémon. All generations. I never found the Anime imperative to watch, but it's nice too. And Pokémon is still just as popular, if not moreso, than it was before, so I don't think it's in any danger of dying for the moment.

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:17 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Pretty much every track in the game has them, okay?! And also there's some other stuff I can't bother to name that just makes it really tiring to listen to! Especially the battle themes! D:

I think trumpets are fine...

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:50 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
andwhyisit said:
I planned to "catch 'em all" for the 3rd gen before I ever worried about 4th gen or beyond (well except for Deoxys, stupid Deoxys). Still playing the third gen games, on an old-school GBA.

The anime is rubbish though.
Yeah 3rd gen was the closest I got to catching them all. But no Jirachi or Deoxys.

And yeah I hate to sound dickish but I really don't understand how people can watch the anime. It's long, tedious, and just the same shit over and over again. I thought Origin was very well done until
it turned into a plug for X&Y at the end

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:53 AM
Beakface
I actually didn't mind watching the anime, but after season 14, when they basically got rid of the character I felt kept the show going (Brock), I just stopped watching it. In my opinion, seasons 10-13 were the best as well as another one which I can't remember. You're right that it is absolutely repetitive. I'm not sure how I put up with it.

Really wish I could say something about the games, but I know next to nothing about them.