anybody exited for super smash bros 4?

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:13 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
sinpachi1 said:

it would epic to see could strife in SSB4 after i seen a hack on SSBB where someone taken the textures for 4 characters and replaced then with knuckles, cloud, kid goku, and ichigo sakarai (bleach)
Fixed post.

Code:
[youtube]Hit0_YO8c8I[/youtube]

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:07 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
are we not gonna talk about "could" strife in that "fixed" post

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:11 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Dunc2403 said:
it's probably about as weak as yknow
bare skin and clothes
That was the entire point of it's inclusion in canon Metroid. Zero Suit Samus ran away from and hid from enemies. One hit from anything would kill her. Not to mention her only weapon in that state was a peashooter that was so weak it turned any attack on any enemy into utter suicide. It is the Metroid equivalent of the Lv3 Nemesis or Lv1 Bubbler.

The Zero Suit isn't meant as regular clothing but rather as something that is worn inside the Power Suit (the Power Suit being Samus' armour). Think of the Zero Suit being to the Power Suit in Metroid like what Plug Suits are to Evangelion Units in Evangelion.

Regardless, the notion that Zero Suit Samus and Power Suit Samus should be on equal footing just flies in the face of Metroid canon.

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:31 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I think as soon as you use "canon" and "smash bros" in the same thought you've already fallen off the paddy wagon
considering that "canonically" as established by the first game they're dolls brought to life by the power of imagination, they can probably do whatever they need to in order to keep it fun.

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:32 PM
Professional Whatever
It was silly and it was fanservice but it was also a way to increase the worth of strategy for the character. If you want to use Samus' giant lazer final smash, you have to abandon your suit and switch to a very mirrored character, and accommodate for their different moves and stats. You also have to worry about having to get the smash ball twice to activate your final smash again. Sure, Brawl didn't actually need zero suit but it was an interesting way to create a character that can fit very different playstyles (though you could always just pick fox or ganondorf if you want feather or tank, I guess).

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:48 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
But she's still pretty hot and badass tbh. Sorry bout it

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:19 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Polaris said:
Oh! I forgot to mention that. I'm really, really happy that they used the Pac-Man World design for him instead of the newer one. ^.^
That was THE first thing I said when I saw him.

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:29 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
It's just a personal pet-peeve i have with fanservice in general, but i really can't stand ZSS. I know she's just in for the fanservice, fine w/e but her character is so horribly sleazily done in SSB that she jars so much with the rest of the cast. Her taunts, lazer whip and her SSB artwork showing off both her ass and boobs are about as subtle as a screamer video.

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:18 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I think they're doing it better in 4; from what I saw in the tournament her moveset didn't seem too fanservice-y, but more like she'd been taking some lessons from the Wii Fit Trainer. Also if we're gonna talk about fanservice how have we not brought him/her up?

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:46 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Noxid said:
I think as soon as you use "canon" and "smash bros" in the same thought you've already fallen off the paddy wagon
considering that "canonically" as established by the first game they're dolls brought to life by the power of imagination, they can probably do whatever they need to in order to keep it fun.
No I meant canonically between SSB Zero Suit Samus and SSB Power Suit Samus, but that's poorly worded as well. Lets just say it makes little sense to have Zero Suit Samus on the same level of power as Power Suit Samus. Why would Samus need the Power Suit if it makes her exactly as powerful as she already was?

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:10 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
My point is that there was zero reason (pun intended) for Zero Suit Samus to be included at all except for sex appeal. In order to fit ZSS in they had to fabricate her entire moveset because she has none. This is made even more obvious by the inclusion of high-heel-like jet boots this time round, something the real Samus wouldn't be caught dead in.

Jun 16, 2014 at 7:38 PM
andwhyisit said:
My point is that there was zero reason (pun intended) for Zero Suit Samus to be included at all except for sex appeal.
Weaker versions of Link have made it into Smash. You could make the same arguments against them, except that Toon and Young Link have no sex appeal (I hope :muscledoc:). A few other characters have had entirely fabricated movesets: R.O.B., Zelda, and Mr. Game & Watch. These guys have even less business being in a fight than ZS Samus, but they were included because fuck it Nintendo does what it wants. If making teenage boys pop boners over Samus was the only reason for her unarmoured inclusion in Brawl, you've got some explaining to do about R.O.B.

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:44 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Mr. Game & Watch has so much material to draw from for move sets it's not funny.
In the Zelda games Toon Link is a different character than OoT Link, and his appearance is a matter of art style rather than of fighting ability.
As for Adult and Child Link you do realise that OoT's time traveling shenanigans mean that while they are physically different their fighting skills are exactly the same.
Half of Zelda's attacks are rooted in the series (arrows, Sheik and specials based on the 3 Oracles).
ZSS on the other hand had nothing to draw on at all apart from super basic platforming.
And let me know if they ever stick a pair of high heels on R.O.B.

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:17 AM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I remember being super excited for Zamus when she was announced to be in Brawl. I was like, six or seven back then. I was super pumped because Prime 2 was (and still is) my favorite game and it was sweet that I would be able to play as a different version of Samus. The idea that she had anything to do with sex appeal didn't occur to me until like late 2011, after I'd joined these forums. I knew about sex appeal before then but Zamus never really occurred to me to have been put in there for sex appeal. If anyone should be able to notice that sort of thing, it's a 10-11 year old boy. It's not as blaringly loud as you make it out to be, andwhy. Also why on earth is that a reason to dislike the series? I don't understand why the inclusion of one character is reason enough for you to stop liking the series. It's not like you can not play as her or anything.
andwhyisit said:
This is made even more obvious by the inclusion of high-heel-like jet boots this time round, something the real Samus wouldn't be caught dead in.
Also: this is concept art from Zero Mission. Notice the boots.

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:04 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Wild Desu said:
are we not gonna talk about "could" strife in that "fixed" post
Apparently not. =o

HyMyNameIsMatt said:
That was THE first thing I said when I saw him.
Now that the little detail of his appearance is taken care of, I'm actually really glad he's in the game :D

andwhyisit said:
No I meant canonically between SSB Zero Suit Samus and SSB Power Suit Samus, but that's poorly worded as well. Lets just say it makes little sense to have Zero Suit Samus on the same level of power as Power Suit Samus. Why would Samus need the Power Suit if it makes her exactly as powerful as she already was?
She doesn't, because this is Smash Bros., not Metroid. Metroid canon doesn't always apply.

To be honest, I don't understand why one character would make you exit a series, either. But to each their own...

Dunc2403 said:
Also: this is concept art from Zero Mission. Notice the boots.
Funny you should link to that very image. I actually checked to see if her concept included high heels at all and found a translated version. Assuming it's actually a translation and not a joke, that's actually pretty good evidence that she wasn't really intended for heels in her first outing. Not that I really find much issue with the jet boots in the new SSB, but yeah.

On a side note, I wonder if the person who made such a fuss of making sure she had sensible shoes was the same one who blatantly pointed to her rear and said "I'll enjoy drawing this!" If so, what a strange person. o.o

In other news because this is basically "Zero Suit Samus:The Thread" by now, did Sakurai keep the tripping? I couldn't see the Smash Bros. Tournament, but it sounded neat.

Jun 17, 2014 at 7:06 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Polaris said:
In other news because this is basically "Zero Suit Samus:The Thread" by now, did Sakurai keep the tripping? I couldn't see the Smash Bros. Tournament, but it sounded neat.
Very early in development he had kept in, and was almost at the point of adding some mid air mechanic similar to it (OH GOD THE HORROR), but by last year's E3 Direct, Sakurai announced he removed tripping, with a mention of the supposed "mid air trip" no where to be heard of.

Jun 17, 2014 at 7:43 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Nadojin said:
Very early in development he had kept in, and was almost at the point of adding some mid air mechanic similar to it (OH GOD THE HORROR), but by last year's E3 Direct, Sakurai announced he removed tripping, with a mention of the supposed "mid air trip" no where to be heard of.
......mid-air tripping.

How would that even?...

...never mind. Something Man is not meant to know.

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:40 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Polaris said:
To be honest, I don't understand why one character would make you exit a series, either. But to each their own...
I just didn't like what they did with the character is all. The "exited" thing was just a joke, but the seriousness of the resulting discussion kinda overshadowed that, and I paid no heed as to how it could be taken at the time. I did exit the series for the most part, but not because of ZSS, I simply lost interest in fighting games over time.

Anyhow I've clearly taken this too far, so I shall stop talking about ZSS starting... now.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:47 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Sakurai has so much free reign over the series, it's getting all a bit worrying. Nobody in their right mind would like a mechanic where you suddenly sit in place for a few seconds. Brawl itself is already strictly oriented for the casual-playing crowd to begin with, but that mechanic is just ridiculous and irritating to all.