Any way I can corrupt Cave Story?

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:20 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I've been watching some Vinesauce lately, and corruptions seem pretty funny, so I'd like to try them myself on Cave Story. How do I? Do I need a certain program or?

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:20 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Step 1. Delete Cave Story. (do not just put it in the Recycle Bin, SHIFT+DELETE it)
Step 2. Write some data so the file gets partially overwritten.
Step 3. Recover the file. If it's not corrupted then repeat.
How do I write some data? I always fail at life.

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:06 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
How do I write some data? I always fail at life.
How the absolute fuck do you not know how to write date? You do it literally all the time.
Make an image, play a video game, write a fucking text document!
Seriously, it's not hard.

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:45 PM
get cheat engine and fuck around with the memory. or corrupt some game files, or get a basic rom corruptor and try to corrupt the exe (prolly won't work tho)

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:47 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
@zxin: That is stupidly convoluted.

@Djammiafda: You could use a "corruptor program" by typing "corruptor program" into google. Alternatively you could just open the game in a hex editor and start changing random values.

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:38 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I wonder if you could use something like the Vinesauce Rom Corrupter and just use one of the data files as the rom to corrupt and then just set the doukutsu.exe program as the emulator and maybe it'll slowly corrupt it as it goes on. Sorry if that's a dumb idea but it may work. Kind of like how Joel from Vinesauce corrupted Facade by setting the animation files as the target.

I don't think directly corrupting the exe file would work too well. So maybe the data files themselves could work better.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2016 at 4:34 PM
I wonder if you could use something like the Vinesauce Rom Corrupter and just use one of the data files as the rom to corrupt and then just set the doukutsu.exe program as the emulator and maybe it'll slowly corrupt it as it goes on. Sorry if that's a dumb idea but it may work. Kind of like how Joel from Vinesauce corrupted Facade by setting the animation files as the target.

I don't think directly corrupting the exe file would work too well. So maybe the data files themselves could work better.
that's what i was thinking too

also reminds me when i corrupted images and audio files with the vinesauce rom corrupter
lmao

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:36 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
What about corrupting Profile.dat and the mapdata segment of the exe?

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:48 PM
What about corrupting Profile.dat and the mapdata segment of the exe?
i'd imagine corrupting profile.dat would cause the game to just not load it, or crash trying to load it, however corrupting the mapdata seems feasible

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:18 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Try corrupting enemy behaviors. That would be fun

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:23 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
cave story isn't a very corruptible game. At best you'd get some junked up sprites or unnavigable maps. But if you wanted that, you could probably just download something from the modding section.

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:06 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
cave story isn't a very corruptible game. At best you'd get some junked up sprites or unnavigable maps. But if you wanted that, you could probably just download something from the modding section.
On that note, I think Cave Story does a CRC check on it's files when you load it up, so you're lucky if it even gets past the loading screen if the files have been dicked around with (without a modding tool, at least).

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2016 at 3:55 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
On that note, I think Cave Story does a CRC check on it's files when you load it up, so you're lucky if it even gets past the loading screen if the files have been dicked around with (without a modding tool, at least).
You're wrong but I guess I can see how you could come to that conclusion