Any good free game capturing software?

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:05 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I want to record me trying the boss rush from cave story+ (PC). No facecam, no microphone, just game footage and game audio. Anyone know a free or somewhat cheap (like 10 bucks or something) recording software that 1. wont make my game lag and 2. doesn't take up too much?

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:23 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
obs is free

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:37 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
obs is free
To take off of what Goerge said, OBS (Open Broadcast Software) has all sorts of features, including streaming capability and fancy placement of camera inputs/static images/window captures, and best of all, it's free!

As such, you can just record only the game and its audio.

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:39 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Unregistered HyperCam 2 is pretty hot I hear

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:43 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
That's been dead for a long time :\
The NSA has already upgraded to a better version.

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:46 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Just so you know, this one is a joke.
Unregistered HyperCam 3 is MUCH better.

Sep 21, 2015 at 1:16 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
obs is free
I can't record cave story+ with obs because cave story+ isn't comatible with the Windows Basic theme which OBS forces me to use. It also just doesn't work in general, something about graphics not being right (of which I've met the requirements)

Sep 21, 2015 at 1:46 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
I can't record cave story+ with obs because cave story+ isn't comatible with the Windows Basic theme
I don't remember ever running across this error in cs+ where it tells me my basic theme is not good enough for it

Sep 21, 2015 at 1:50 AM
SimpleScreenRecorded is what I use. It's free and exclusively for Linux.

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:40 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I don't remember ever running across this error in cs+ where it tells me my basic theme is not good enough for it
No I mean if my computer is in Windows 7 basic, the program window shows up, but it's like the actual game is transparent.
SimpleScreenRecorded is what I use. It's free and exclusively for Linux.
So it's only for linux?

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:42 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
No I mean if my computer is in Windows 7 basic, the program window shows up, but it's like the actual game is transparent.
Change your OBS settings to make it not use Basic then

Sep 21, 2015 at 4:31 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Bandicam is what I use, but the free version gives a watermark at the top and only lets you record 10 minutes at a time only.

I think Bandicam is pretty decent. For some reason you have to install it from a different site if your computer is set to Japanese though.
EDIT: You could also try Dxtory. I haven't used it, but it should work. It also has a watermark when using the free version.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2015 at 4:21 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Bandicam is what I use, but the free version gives a watermark at the top and only lets you record 10 minutes at a time only.

Maybe not something you want.

Yeah probably I should click close tab but
My computer somhow lags at it. When it's open, Cave Story+ is at 60fps, but as soon as I hit 'record' it drops to 15.
Change your OBS settings to make it not use Basic then

I'll be sure to try this.

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:33 PM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
If you can't even record Cave Story+ with Bandicam properly, your computer probably isn't good enough to do this
(I use Dxtory)

Sep 24, 2015 at 6:16 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
If you can't even record Cave Story+ with Bandicam properly, your computer probably isn't good enough to do this.

I second this. It seems you are having issues with the same software others have used before, so it might not be finding the right software but...knowing how to use it and if your computer can even handle outputting that many frames per sec.

I mean, if you get 10fps lower than that's understandable/useable. But if anything is giving you 15 on cave story, there's a bigger burden to deal with here.