Another Music Challenge...

ROUND 1: Which ORG do you think best fit its character? (Pick two)

• "Death Waltz" by ColdCallerloppy for the Doctor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "Eatbleed" by Phantop CS for Mahin

• "Unholy Demon" by 2DBro for Ballos

• Total voters
Aug 17, 2015 at 12:31 AM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Here, I made a theme for the Debug Cat (who counts as valid, as he has a name, and has dialog in a version of the game).
http://www.mediafire.com/download/uksbag373c3w84i/Debug+Cat.org

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

And yes I know it's not valid, since it's a remix; I'll see if I can make it in time to submit something original.

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:07 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Oh crap, I forgot about this thread. At least there weren't any important posts made.

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:38 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I'll participate! Can I do Toroko?
SuperJaws100 said:
Everyone really enjoyed this so I guess here comes...

The CSTSF Character Theme Contest
That's right, it's another music contest!
Pick a main Cave Story character and make an ORIGINAL ORG theme for them!
The rules are simple, and anyone can join! The deadline is August 25th! Good luck!
Originally I wasn't going to put this up until after I release Cave Story: Transcripted (it's incorrectly named, I know, sue me). However, it's August. Not long before the end of Summer, and then most people are going to be busy, so here it is.

Rules:
  • The submitted entry must be an ORG and it must be compatible with Cave Story (it must use Cave Story's drum set).
  • The entry cannot be a remix and cannot be a transcription of another song.
  • The character that the theme is based off of must have multiple lines of dialogue and must be named. You may use a character that already has a theme, but your entry cannot be a remix of or show similarities to that theme.
  • The entry must have been made after August 1st. The entry must be submitted by August 25th. All entries submitted after that date will not be accepted.
Participants:
  • TPcool - MALCO
  • CookedChef - Momorin
  • Jpzarde - The Hermit Gunsmith
  • TLincoln - Misery
  • ColdCallerloppy - The Doctor
  • PhantopCS - Mahin
  • TheHamburglar - Ma Pignon
  • RandomStorykeeper - Zett?
  • Safusaka - Professor Booster

Deadlines:
Entries are due August 25th.
A poll will go up that day and the first round of voting will begin.
On August 31st round one of voting will end, and the second round will begin.
On September 4th, round two of voting will end. If necessary, another round will begin on that day and end on September 6th.
One way or another, a single winner will be chosen by September 7th.

Entries:
None yet!

Good luck to all who choose to enter!
irrelevant but i'm going to say it anyway. I love your signature. I am the doctor and this is my spoon!
I've pretty much been making a song for Toroko on my own. I can send it in a midi format. Is anyone capable of converting it to a org?

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:20 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
i'm going to ask a very, very dumb question. May I post a link to my song on soundcloud or a download to my mp3 off of dropbox rather than transfer all my work to orgmaker? My piece is kinda complex, but I do realize rules are rules.
I'll leave the link anyway and post the file to dropbox and link that to later. Anyway here's the link to the soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/stormriderfim4/toroko-theme-idea .

I originally started this song for a friend for a different purpose but later found I had no use for it halfway through. So I started thinking of Toroko.

Aug 18, 2015 at 6:53 PM
"Huzzah!"
i'm going to ask a very, very dumb question. May I post a link to my song on soundcloud or a download to my mp3 off of dropbox rather than transfer all my work to orgmaker? My piece is kinda complex, but I do realize rules are rules.
I'll leave the link anyway and post the file to dropbox and link that to later. Anyway here's the link to the soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/stormriderfim4/toroko-theme-idea .

I originally started this song for a friend for a different purpose but later found I had no use for it halfway through. So I started thinking of Toroko.
...Woah, this piece is really good.

I'm no contest official, but for now let's just assume you can't enter your piano MP3 (or WAV)

Orgmaker 2 (yeah there's two of them) isn't too difficult to figure out, sure it's not click and drag like some of the more modern music making programs of today, but again it's not hard to figure out. My advice: reference some of cave story's orgs in Orgmaker, as those songs make use of neat tricks that aren't immediately apparent when you first start using Orgmaker. Also, the correct drum track combination that you'll want to use in your song is:

Bass01, Snare01, HiClose, HiOpen, Tom01, Per01. Leave the last two tracks of your song empty (to be specific, the tracks themselves need to be empty, the instruments could both just stay as Bass01.) If you use any other combination, it won't work when you hack it into cave story, and these contests require that the song work in cave story.

Aaaaand one more thing I've not said yet, use Orgmaker 2. It's got more features than Orgmaker 1, (such as copy and paste) and is generally easier to use.

You've got 7 days, so good luck if you decide to transcribe your piano piece into ORG!

Aug 18, 2015 at 8:42 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Jpzarde said:
Orgmaker 2 (yeah there's two of them) isn't too difficult to figure out, sure it's not click and drag like some of the more modern music making programs of today, but again it's not hard to figure out.
ORG Maker 2.10 allows clicking and dragging to extend the length of notes. It's a togglable option, so if it doesn't work in the latest version, look in one of the menus (I think it's under "Environment") and you'll see the option to turn it on.

Also if you don't own ORG Maker at all, chances are you're not gonna find the earlier version that is ORG Maker 2.05, but upgrading to the latest version would be ideal. I know it took me a while to adjust to 2.10 for some reason.

Jpzarde said:
My advice: reference some of cave story's orgs in Orgmaker, as those songs make use of neat tricks that aren't immediately apparent when you first start using Orgmaker.
When you say "reference" I would expect to actually hear a bit of a Cave Story ORG in the piece, which isn't that against the rules? Well I guess there's a fuzzy line between what's "too" similar and what's not. But the other half of that sentence sounds more like advice to learn off by example from Cave Story's ORGs, which is a definite yes.
Aeternum said:

This is pretty good, but that chord at 0:05 really clashes. Also overall, the chords are played too forcefully and often drown out the melody.

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:10 PM
Aeternum said:
i'm going to ask a very, very dumb question. May I post a link to my song on soundcloud or a download to my mp3 off of dropbox rather than transfer all my work to orgmaker? My piece is kinda complex, but I do realize rules are rules.I'll leave the link anyway and post the file to dropbox and link that to later. Anyway here's the link to the soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/stormriderfim4/toroko-theme-idea .
Sorry, this is an ORGmaking contest. ORG submissions only.

Speaking of which, is it alright if I submit my own piece for MALCO? I don't think my being the proprietor of the competition has any affect on the outcome, but it's up to you all.
hate9 said:
Here, have an actual submission, a dark (and purposefully off-sounding) Curly theme!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gq0kuf69nye7h0g/Curly+Theme.org
I will add that as the first entry! My personal comments:
  • It's really hard to listen to. I know you were going for "off sounding", but the dissonance is too much. Try something with less conflicting notes.
  • The theme doesn't really match Curly. It would fit Misery much better.
  • With all of those overlaid notes, you might want to try changing the... oh I forget what it's called, TPcool knows. The numbers above each instrumet (usually 1,000).

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:30 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
SuperJaws100 said:
  • It's really hard to listen to. I know you were going for "off sounding", but the dissonance is too much. Try something with less conflicting notes.
I figured that'd be a problem, and I probably won't be doing anything similar anytime soon.

• The theme doesn't really match Curly. It would fit Misery much better.
I noticed this right after I posted it, but it seemed disingenuous to change it afterwards.

• With all of those overlaid notes, you might want to try changing the... oh I forget what it's called, TPcool knows. The numbers above each instrumet (usually 1,000).
Pretty sure it's called "offset", and yeah, I probably should.

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:34 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
If you want, you can take the Misery slot. I've developed writer's block recently, so I'm unable to come up with anything fitting for her.

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:34 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Also, hate, this might blow your mind, but you're allowed to use any of the melody instruments in OrgMaker. Because of the strict requirements of the percussion in Cave Story, I think a number of people are starting to think that this applies to the melody instruments as well, but that's not the case. All of them work fine in Cave Story.

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:57 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
I feel like I knew that, but forgot it at some point; thanks for clarifying.

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:18 AM
TLincoln said:
If you want, you can take the Misery slot. I've developed writer's block recently, so I'm unable to come up with anything fitting for her.
There are no "slots" for characters, characters can be repeated. I clarified that some time ago (or meant to, if I didn't). I think people might have missed my question, but would it be alright if I made a submission, even though I'm the proprietor of the contest?

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:20 AM
Beakface
You're the creator of the contest; you decide what to do. Personally I would think it's fine, since the judges are the overall community itself. Maybe you can set an example on how these character themes should sound.

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:33 AM
Mrs. Policewoman
I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with you submitting something.
Also, is there a limit on how many submissions each participant can enter?

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:22 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
SuperJaws100 said:
I think people might have missed my question, but would it be alright if I made a submission, even though I'm the proprietor of the contest?
You have heard of the term "conflict of interest" haven't you? Winning your own contest (if it does happen), regardless of how fairly it was won, is never a good thing.

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:23 AM
Mrs. Policewoman
Actually, on a previous topic, are we allowed to change the offsets of drums (yes they exist) at all?

EDIT: And looking at the Tribute Site's character list, Zett is the old Mimiga from the Plantation.

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:38 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Random-storykeeper said:
chances are you're not gonna find the earlier version that is ORG Maker 2.05
(If you want to look at my updated translation of OrgMaker 2.0.5, the link in this thread still works: OrgMaker 2 update.)

Aug 19, 2015 at 3:09 AM
Beakface
Oh yeah. I was just thinking of the link on the Tribute site, which (I believe) replaces 2.05, since once you have the latest and transition out of 2.05, then there really is no need for it anymore. And I would have thought someone would go there first before checking for a thread.

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:06 AM
Mrs. Policewoman
If we can enter multiple submissions, this is my second submission, and if we can't, this will replace my old one:
Linky
Listen without player at www.soundcloud.com/hate9/king