Another Cave Story Sequel (ACSS) V: 1.06

Discussion in 'Showcase' started by ColdCallerLoopy, Oct 23, 2017.

Tags:
?

Should I do monthly mod updates?

1. Yes, it allows viewers to be kept up with progress.

57.1%
  2. No, it's better to release an update when you're done with one.

25.0%
  3. Yes and No, only if I want viewers to make sure the mod isn't dead. (This is talking 2-3 months)

17.9%
  1. Oct 23, 2017
    ColdCallerLoopy
    Professional-Idiot
    "Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
    Boy that took awhile.
    For those who don't know, I made a hell mod back in 2013/2014 that went through 500 names that ended up dying due to lack of motivation, over-ambition, and lack of tsc and game design knowledge. I have since then vastly improved and made what I think is a superior mod compared to my previous one. I do hope it's received better, and if not, tell me, I want to improve all the time.
    -----
    This is a mod I've tried my hardest to deliver a new story in similar environments:
    Quote, Curly and Balrog were on the way toward a new life, but suddenly they were shot down by a force unknown to any of them. You take the helm of Quote once more to travel through the island, a year after the Doctor's havoc; work with old friends and make new enemies as you unravel another mystery to freeing the island once more!
    (Is that cheesy enough?)
    ----
    1.06 (Released 2/24/2018)
    - Added teleportation to from the Waterway to Malco/Outer Wall
    - Cut out a dialouge in Water way
    - Redid some enemies in Cave of Mystery
    - Some spelling fixes
    - Minor bug fixes and small tile changes
    - Training Test 2.0 is technically, and officially added
    - Misc. changes I forgot, most extremely minor
    ----
    1.05 (Released 2/18/2018)
    - Set starting hp to 3
    - Added Outer Wall/Bottom of the Island
    - Completed Training test 1
    - Added Training test 2
    - Added Map System in Malco's first cutscene
    - Added teleportation to the Outer Wall
    - Tweaked various cut-scenes in small ways
    - Malco now gives the player the "Malco card" instead of the "Malbot key"
    - Added Waterway area
    - Working on eq+ command.
    - Added a sick opening scene like Mario Odyssey
    - Redid enemies to have pink-ish eyes; all part of the Loopy style?
    - Fixed some spelling/grammar errors
    - Redid minor areas and rooms in small changes
    - Added new items for cute descriptions of the weapons in the game
    - The actual weapons in the arms slot now says the damage and exp count
    - Added Bit? Kinda, and Memoro and Joulius
    - Shout out to Bubbler and Safusaka for sprites and mock-ups they are awesome guys!
    - Watching The Office with my twin brother helped to pass the time when I was in a road block for ideas
    - Messed around with water and currents, it was a nightmare.
    - Kill all the Jelly fish, there's no reward...
    ----
    1.032 (Released 12/7/2017)
    I forgot what was added or removed here, this is really for documentation sake.
    ----
    1.02 (Released 10/27/2017):
    - Fixed every known spelling and grammatical error. (Shout out to SeasonsOfDestiny for the biggest list, you helped make this mod less of a mess!)
    - Re-tweaked some tiles every area to work better with the game's physics.
    - Intro now skips if the player dies but doesn't save.
    - Fixed title screen to say ACSS...
    - Fixed some more miscellaneous flags and made doors black so the backgrounds don't display them as transparent.
    - Added Teleporter blocks (Seen as "T/E")
    - Added one extra room and item.
    ---
    1.01 (Released 10/22/2017): Game released
    -----
    Check list of things to be added next update (1.-?)
    [Strike-through is completed, red means it's the current task, green is the next task and yellow is eventual (Most likely next update or some time in the future)]

• Reintroduce Kazuma in someway -Not sure how yet-
    • Add area 3 (Sand zone/Labyrinth variants)
    • Fix some text issues, regarding text length and some minor grammatical errors.
    • Work on some more flags and such.
    • Learn ASM (LEARN IT YOU BITCH!)
    • Asset work
    Downloads!
    ~~ ACSS saves ~~
    Download at your own discretion

----
    Version 1.06 - (Uploaded 2/24/2018)
    Version 1.05 - (Uploaded 2/18/2018)
    Version 1.02 - (Uploaded 10/27/2017)
    Version 1.01 - (Uploaded 10/22/2017)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  2. Oct 23, 2017
    andwhyisit
    Administrator
    "Life begins and ends with Nu."
    Looks like "Not a Choice" is the name of your new mod.

3. Oct 23, 2017
    ColdCallerLoopy
    Professional-Idiot
    I should definitely delete it so an actual name can be chosen....

4. Oct 23, 2017
    YoshiPilot
    It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
    "Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
    Looks like an Interesting mod! Does anyone know if the mod (or any mod for that matter) could be easily ported to mac? CS and mods are a pain to run though wine.

5. Oct 23, 2017
    ColdCallerLoopy
    Professional-Idiot
    I don't know if there's a way to port mods to mac as of now, at least not officially if I'm aware. IIRC, this was also brought up a few years backs, this problem has always persisted.

6. Oct 23, 2017
    YoshiPilot
    Well that sucks. Love CS but hate windows. Do you know of a way to run CS and CS mods via wine? It always brings up the error message for when you take CS out of it's folder, which wine is doing.

7. Oct 23, 2017
    Walrus_Guy
    Chinfishnado!!!!!!!!!!!!! WALRUS WALRUS WALRUS!!!
    "Keep on rollin'!"
    i like alpha blast or ACSS

i want to name my game to
    also is yours like a super pro game, a good game or a bad game in quality (like are there a lot of major glitches and things?)
    also is it like 10 minutes to finish, unfinished (planned length???), or like 1hour+?

also what should i name my game currently its walrus story but im spending a lot of time on it so i don't really think walrus story fits it (not related to walruses at all)
    oh thats right you dont know anything about mine

ok back to your game i bet its pretty neat

8. Oct 23, 2017
    YoshiPilot
    Then why would you name it walrus story

9. Oct 23, 2017
    Walrus_Guy
    "Keep on rollin'!"
    i did that a long time ago

also by the way coldcallerloopy i started playing your game and i think its the BEST EVERRRRRRRRRRR
    its really good i think

I also like that triangle generator thing what did you replace it with? the thing that looks like the hearts but for the triangles
    the game is really great
    like super great

like if it was on a scale of 0-100 i'd give it a 99 only because i saw like 2 capitalization mistakes but everything else is super super superb
    yay
    ok and now i have a dragon saying fly fly fly

your game is fun

edit: ok i take it back now its 150/100 because i like that training thing and everything is just so awesome

i really like how theres a story line ish thing (even though it doesn't have to be perfect)
    you're really good with those cutscene things i need to add that to my game too

I also like how yours still looks normal, sometimes games are just so different from cave story its barely even a cave story mod anymore so i like how its different, but still similar

also did you edit the npc.tbl thing to make the different death sound effects for critters or bats? or did you run event on death and make an event playing sound xxx (I think the first way is easier)

oh by the way are you making a secret ending? I hope you are that would be cool
    also i got that hidden chest with the snake launcher

edit2: ok so i played more and i'll have to give it a 204/100 because i found some glitches (I gave it higher though because i liked more of it)

so glitch numero uno is that you can keep getting that hidden chest for the snake launcher ammo (dont worry i only used it once to play fair)

and number 2 is near the E-bit 23 theres an diagonal part and it pushes you down until you get stuck in a block
    besides that i like it

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  10. Oct 24, 2017
    Cyber/
    Digital Detective
    "All your forum are belong to us!"
    ok i'm gonna play this why not.

None so far. Walrus Guy said it was the BEST EVERRRRRRRRRRR. Lets see if that's true. Time for "Untitled Yet 2".

1. Nice intro.
    2. Title screen has a faint vanilla scent to it.
    3. mmm that text is crisp. this is really nice. if i had to give this mod a score i'd probably add 500 points just for this. actually, i dont see why i'm not scoring this mod. it seems its time for a revival, of- vb's (ludicrous and nonsensical) revieeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

You know the drill!
    We've been over this. It seems pretty good so far.
    1. Nice intro. +1.
    2. Title screen is vanilla. : / -1.
    3. crisp text +500.
    4. curly's mouth in that "AH! What's happening?" facepic : O... I think I'll deduct 5 points... Maybe fix the edges of the mouth. (and move the jaw lower)
    5. curly and balrog die. 10/10. +1 for creativity, unless you just used the death sound for no reason. If this is the case, I will deduct 10. (not sure, so nothing was added or deducted)
    6. quote falls from the sky and somehow ends up in a cave. this is not ok. -5.
    7. interesting terminal... not sure what to think.
    8. malco can give you a key through the internet/call. -2?
    9. wow you somehow made the slopes solid. +10.
    10. wait nevermind if you jump through the side you go through it again. -15.
    11. i just phased through a wall in the cave of mystery and cant get back. is this supposed to happen?
    12. I died and didn't save. it brings me all the way back to the intro cutscene. -300 for not adding skipflags.
    gonna stop there
    Score: 188/12.
    Bonuses: Custom art bonus (+5)
    Final score: 193/12.

this mod is truly the BEST EVERRRRRRRRRRR.
    NOTE: if my review seemed harsh in any way know that i am very sorry and did not intend to harm anyone.

I like it.

This mod is pretty good. I only played maybe 5 minutes of it but I think its pretty good (as i just stated in the previous sentence). Loved the stuff with Malco. This mod looks very promising and I can't wait to see more of it in the future, including a title.

11. Oct 24, 2017
    ColdCallerLoopy
    Professional-Idiot
    I'm glad you enjoyed the mod, is there a way to give me some pictures so I can know where some of those issues were? I'm glad you enjoyed the text, I wasn't all too sure if it was good enough, I felt indifferent about that the most when making the first demo. And yeah don't worry, you weren't super harsh, I won't give away anything in the story.
    I do intend however to give the robotic purpose of Quote and take it to the an extreme, with Quote being able to travel through electrical blocks, use lighting to teleport, and have the island become more modernized, with electricity and having it become part of the island.

I do need to use a skip flag thing for the intro, that's a good idea, I'll add that next update. I'm not sure how to change the slopes, the problem is that I don't believe I can edit tile ids, it's more a aesthetic thing. If you can tell me what wall stopped you from advancing I would appreciating it. Believe me, I'm a terrible artist, I'm very much still learning how to do art, I can definitely fix Curly's face a little.

I'm currently attempting to use more custom art assets, it allows me to be a little more flexible with the type of things I can do like items and such. I hope you keep coming back!

12. Oct 24, 2017
    Cyber/
    Digital Detective
    you should have quote have to switch bodies at one point. maybe he gets in a really tough battle and barely makes it out alive and is thrown into the core room and has to transfer his mind into one of the broken robots. then maybe later on he could get an improved body with way more health/other upgrades. On that note, how come Quote goes back to 5HP at the beginning of the mod when he has 55 at the end of CS? I think you should give his HP back, but make the levels a lot harder. Then if you use the idea I mentioned, it could become more challenging as the new robot body he's in is less durable. just an idea, you dont have to include it.

13. Oct 24, 2017
    ColdCallerLoopy
    Professional-Idiot
    I get where you're coming from with this and it can definitely work. I'd very much have to keep that on the back burner since I'm currently nowhere in the game right now. I like the idea don't get me wrong, but we're not there yet and I'll be saving it so I can consider it when we get there.

And for the sake of convenience in a video game, having low hp just allows creators to build up level design again, Jenka's Nightmare, Lost land, etc, all sequel mods do the same thing with bringing your character back to low hp and building up again through life capsules as always. I also feel that in games like SAO Hollow Realization, your character does so much damage but I don't feel it amounts to anything.
    The logic I tell myself is; would I want a game where you do 600+ damage but the bosses have 50,000+ hp, or do 5 damage and bosses have 400 hp, it doesn't feel as long and is more tangible.

With starting at 55 hp, I'd feel this would mean Quote would have his weapons again, which would make the enemies probably be more abundant and start at maybe 40 hp and end at 100+ which me personally doesn't feel right.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  14. Oct 24, 2017
    Walrus_Guy
    "Keep on rollin'!"
    hey just curious are you going to add a secret ending?
    hopefully i really like this one
    probably my top 5 favorites (so far) at least

15. Oct 24, 2017
    ColdCallerLoopy
    Professional-Idiot
    I would like to add some kind of secret ending, but like I said to Cyber, the issue is we're not there yet. If there was something like Jenka's Nightmare redux 2.0 (staring Dante from the devil may cry series - & knuckles), then I can definitely consider it, but the problem is this mod is too early in development to consider something like that. I really do appreciate what you think would be cool, but more time is needed for it to happen.

16. Oct 24, 2017
    Miccs
    The Sunset Curse
    Might as well check this out quickly. Please note that at the time of writing this I haven't really looked at the other posts, so I might be repeating stuff.
    I can immediately see that this is a sequel mod, and the intro tells me that there is some effort in this mod, which is nice.
    Errr... but you might want to explain how Malco can give you a key through the computer.

[​IMG]
    The use of nonsolid blocks here is fine, but if the player were to jump and hold right, they would clip right through the slope because of their messy mechanics. I would recommend putting the right slope higher, myself.
    First having a few critters that actually make you have to wait if you don't want to get hurt, and then getting a life capsule that also restores hp is great, easily reminds people not to try and storm past. I really like it.
    [​IMG]
    Though the doors that come afterwards have transparent tiles behind them, which looks weird.
    What also looks weird is Malco's facepic, his mouth and shoulder have smaller pixels than the rest, if you know what I mean.
    Oh this gets done more with other facepics too, but they DO show a bunch of emotion!

Oh boy, a cutscene that actually shows you stuff instead of a person just explaining stuff to you, something I miss in quite some mods, and I like it.
    And the free experience charger feels handy.

[​IMG]
    This doesn't particulary make me happy, I expected there to be some hidden thing. I already accidentally backtracked because I thought the teleporter brought you to a completely different place, which got me slightly confused.
    Oh I see now, one gotta hit the brownish tiles with missiles to continue, though I don't like to think what'd happen if a poor sap came there without charging the missiles up first. Why does it have so much health that I have to hit it 3x3 times?
    Don't get me wrong, this is a cool idea. But the execution is a little weird.

[​IMG]
    Are... are you telling me I can't go up here? Why?!
    Oh nevermind, I wasn't hinted on this but apparently the wall on the right is non-solid, but I doubt everybody would notice this.
    Ooh, throwing hearts at the player with use of the scroll effect looks good.
    Could've placed a save point after the boss though, probably don't need to explain why.

All in all I'd say that this looks very promising, aside from getting stuck I had a pretty good experience with this and I'd really love to see what you'll make of this!

17. Oct 24, 2017
    ColdCallerLoopy
    Professional-Idiot
    It brings me joy to hear people having fun, and i'm glad the only issues so far are small details which I can easily fix.

For the slope you can clip through, I never thought of that and it will be dealed with. I should definitely fix the door that leads to the Inner Catacombs so it's actually a door. As for the key Malco gives you, I understand why many are confused about it, I want to keep the motif that things can be done more robotically and electrically, but if it helps i can always make it a key card, similar to the one used in the egg corridor. As for what you thought could contain a secret: Maybe.....

The tiles that you use missiles on, I borrowed the entity used in shutter no.4 in the core room, considering you have 10 missiles, 15 max as of now, i should change it to 2 max missiles worth. And I plan on having the room after the spirits fight be a save room which leads to thr outer wall.
    Stay tuned for update 1.05 in a month or something (I can't wait to look at this 2 months later in disappointment)

18. Oct 24, 2017
    Walrus_Guy
    "Keep on rollin'!"
    just want to point something out so we can make this game perfect

make it so you can't keep getting that +5 missile chest because if you get it, save (or exit a room) you can get it again
    also if you go to the outer catacombs, and enter back to the inner the pulse music still stays
    otherwise its cool i like the outercatacombs its great

oh and i really like how those floating hearts appear once you beat the boss
    yay that was so much fun

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  19. Oct 24, 2017
    ColdCallerLoopy
    Professional-Idiot
    Ahh, I completely forgot to delete that NPC, I should do the same for the e-bit blocks as well.
    And I noticed the issue with Pulse after uploading, I can definitely fix those!
    Should I release V: 1.02 which addresses all the current errors up to this point or wait until V: 1.05 with it all together?

20. Oct 24, 2017
    Walrus_Guy
    "Keep on rollin'!"
    1.05 with newwww things